Helloooo Nurse! Squier Contemporary Jag NGD

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Raiyn, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I pre-ordered this beauty from Sweetwater all the way back in January - it was supposed to be here in April. As many of you have experienced, global shipping has kinda sucked the last few months and things got delayed - a lot.
    The call came in from my Sweetwater rep this afternoon that it was in. Money was exchanged, setup work will commence and this baby should be here next week.
    GuitarPhotos_259006121.jpg 1634772450068.jpg 1634772430365.jpg 1634772462303.jpg 1634772505135.jpg 1634772483769.jpg 1634772542191.jpg
    • Body Material: Poplar
    • Body Shape: Jaguar®
    • Body Finish: Gloss Polyurethane
    NECK
    • Neck Material: Roasted Maple
    • Neck Finish: Satin Urethane with Gloss Urethane Headstock Face
    • Neck Shape: "C" Shape
    • Scale Length: 24" (610 mm)
    • Fingerboard Material: Indian Laurel
    • Fingerboard Radius: 12" (305 mm)
    • Number of Frets: 22
    • Fret Size: Jumbo
    • Nut Material: Graphite
    • Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
    • Position Inlays: Pearloid Dot
    • Truss Rod: Head Adjust
    ELECTRONICS
    • Bridge Pickup: Squier® SQR™ Atomic™ Humbucking
    • Neck Pickup: Squier® SQR™ Atomic™ Humbucking
    • Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
    • Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge, Position 2. Bridge and Neck, Position 3. Neck
    • Configuration: HH
    HARDWARE
    • Bridge: 6-Saddle Adjustable Bridge
    • Hardware Finish: Chrome
    • Tuning Machines: Sealed Die-Cast with Split Shafts
    • Pickguard: 3-Ply Black
    • Control Knobs: Knurled Dome
    • Switch Tip: Black
    • Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Squier® Asymmetrical
    MISCELLANEOUS
    • Strings: Nickel Plated Steel (.009-.042 Gauges) Will be setup with EXL110BT

I have a whole box of goodies waiting for this axe to arrive.

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Pretty cool. roasted maple even. CRaZy!!!!

Raiyn likes this.
  3. Darkness

Darkness Well-Known Member

I like the grain on the neck quite a bit. Nice one.

Raiyn likes this.
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Glad to see it's on the final leg of the journey. :cheers:

Raiyn likes this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Even better, a roasted maple neck with a 12" radius to match the T.O.M. style bridge.
    Thank you.

I'm digging that fretboard. The last few years I've seen a lot of folks deriding fretboards with even the slightest bit of "character" as somehow flawed and I've never bought into that. Hell, I love the little breaking wave that appears in the grain over the Fender logo and serial number. I can't wait until I can get some high-quality images to share.
    It's been a long haul for sure.
    Hit me up in the PMs. Those tuners are yours if you still need them. I'd probably send them in a flat-rate box if you're cool with that.

Now that I know it actually exists, the hype from January is intensifying again!

It was getting pretty bad there towards the end, every couple weeks I'd get a call from my Sweetwater rep and it'd be the same old deal - "pushed back another two weeks, yadda yadda, no guitar for you".
    I audibly groaned when he called yesterday, thinking that it was his monthly call in the pattern.

6. Darkness

Darkness Well-Known Member

Thats the part I like. If anything that would keep me oriented on the frets.

Raiyn likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I like that it's distinctive. Not that mine won't stand out when I'm done, but that fretboard is one of a kind.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    It's heeere!
    1635443993131.jpg
    I figured I'd share a few quick shots of how Sweetwater packs stuff when you have them ship in a (purchased) case.
    1635444187008.jpg
    It actually arrived yesterday. I had work and other commitments, so this wasn't a big issue.
    1635444529673.jpg
    Out front are the two side foam blocks on top of one of the end blocks (the other is still in the box). The guitar and case are still in the SKB box for this shot.
    1635444618474.jpg
    The case and guitar as first opened.

I'm going to put the strap on and get a feel for my new guitar, but I figured I'd share these quick snaps.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

OH wow... Beautiful guitar .

Raiyn and Biddlin like this.
  10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Congrats. You have 8 months of playing to catch up on.

Raiyn likes this.
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Just a quick update:
    I haven't had a lot of free time this week and with SWMBO working from home (in near constant Zoom meetings) I haven't been able to plug in the new axe, much less do any in-depth work on it. So please excuse the quick shots as I was under a time crunch.

I managed to add the case stickers:
    1635531928950.jpg
    I ordered a new one as this one is peeling up pretty badly already. Probably a mix of me not prepping the surface and a lower than normal tack to the lettering - more so the prep I'd think but eh.

1635532408780.jpg
    The original artwork was done by the late Al Rio, and the decal purchased from the Redbubble account benefiting the family.

Though a legally and artistically different image, I view this as a more "adult" version of the kids show character the guitar's name is based on.

Oh, and I installed the DiMarzio ClipLock strap.
    1635531805256.jpg

So much for the good, now for the bad no-so-good. As mentioned, I didn't have a ton of time, but fortunately the chrome plates are quick and easy to get into - unlike a Strat or my Doheny.

A dude has to know guitar at this (<$500) price point with features like a roasted maple neck and an awesome paint job is gonna have to trim the fat somewhere, and Fender did.
    1635532155547.jpg
    The dreaded PCB switch. I will admit, it feels nicer than it looks, but I already have a CRL waiting to go in.

1635532262661bright.jpg
    Dime sized pots. This one isn't a surprise either, and to be honest, they're probably absolutely fine. Yeah, I'm gonna change them - mostly because I'm going to try a no-load tone pot and see where that takes me. Most likely, I'll just take the switch, pots, and jack out as an assembly unit and set them aside. I ought to take readings off them, as they aren't marked with a spec, but that's a job for later.

This one confused me for a second:
    1635532507228.jpg
    A 0.047uF tone capacitor on a humbucker equipped axe? It's a decent tolerance Chiclet at 5% so no problem there. My gut is telling me that they're leaning into the split coil thing and trying to give them a "full range" as this would be way too much for a humbucker in common practice. We'll see how it sounds over the weekend, but there's a possibility I may change the value when I do the overhaul depending on what I hear.

Now for the ugly super-cute and adorable!
    Sweetwater had gathered up the accessories and candy months ago when I preordered, and chose to ship them in a separate box. One of our furballs, Luci, chose to appropriate the accessory box under the proviso of "I fits, I sits". I present you with Miss Luci, enjoying her latest acquisition.
    1635532043587.jpg

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Finally had a chance to plug her in.

There's potential.

Shielding / ground work is certainly in my future.

That capacitor is waaaaaay too dark for my tastes.

I'm not 100% sold on the pickups, but I need to see what happens after I tinker under the hood a bit.

13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Scratch that. I'm going to do myself a favor and just skip ahead. Rather than do my usual tweak this, mess with that, get frustrated, toss everything in the phucket bucket and start over routine - I'm going to cut to the chase.

I'm going to pull everything out as a unit - mostly because it's less work to do it that way, but partly just in case this proves to be some sort of wunderkind collectable down the road.

Since I had already planned on replacing the entirety of the electronics in the lower section of the guitar, I simply ordered some Jag switches for the top section and a different set of pickups.

Those "Atomic" pickups need to be out of this guitar, they just hit me as flat and generic even though they're supposedly pretty hot.

Old Woody likes this.
  14. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

I will be following your progress as I have been on the fence about buying the new MiM Kurt Cobain Jag reissue but at a price point over a grand vs the modest price of the squire model I would feel better at making modifications to the squire. (I don't like humbuckers in Fenders)

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I thought about doing a set of Super Distortions for that very reason, but I went in a somewhat different direction. I went hot, just not all the way currently available.

The current plan is to wire it with the Split coil and series / parallel options - like factory. I'm going to use a CRL three way, a meter hot 500K pot, and a no-load 500K tone. I'm probably going with a 0.033uF cap so I have a bit of depth for single coil tones (I have bags of others). Of course, I'll also be installing my standard Pure Tone jack.

Old Woody likes this.
  16. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

Sounds like fun I really like the color and the fact that the paint is polyurethane not polyvinyl ( I like to repaint guitars from time to time and using a heat gun to scrap off polyvinyl ain't my idea of fun.) I'm sure your going to enjoy that fine looking guitar.

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Yeah, Even though I use microfiber bench "padding" I'm going to take an extra step and mummy wrap the body in painter's tape once I get everything off. I'm not usually super precious about the finish, but I'd rather my nicks come from play wear than bench gooches.

Given how low the current bridge is, I may have to shim the neck when I install the roller bridge, but I have some nice walnut veneer for that.

Edit: Just noticed the email that my pickups have shipped.

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

UPS has informed me that the new pickups will be arriving on Friday.

19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

1636221202665.jpg
    :naughty:

phonepi and Davis Sharp like this.
  20. phonepi

phonepi Member

Good work in perspective, @Raiyn !

Cheers,

Raiyn likes this.