Helloooo Nurse! Squier Contemporary Jag NGD

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Raiyn, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

This a great adventure going on here Raiyn!
    Excited for you.

Loved the look of the guitar right out of the box, especially the chrome plating around the switches. Great color.

Looks like you haven’t encountered anything that wasn’t expected ahead of time.

Staying tuned in :)

Pat

Raiyn likes this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

There was a lot of time for me to gameplan.

3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Apparently, a guy has to encounter things as he encounters them.
    For example:
    I had bought a couple Switchcraft DPDT Jag / Jazzmaster switches early one morning figuring they'd pop right on into the existing plate.
    1636828934257.jpg
    Take a good look at what's happening here. Answers towards the bottom.

I'm glad I committed to pulling everything as a unit, because I'm not even going to attempt to sort this out.
    1636829044169.jpg
    Molex and PCBs and wires, oh my!

Problem solved though.
    1636830814535.jpg
    One Johnny Marr upper switch plate. Notice that the switch screw holes are the same spacing for both switches? Yeah. It ain't like that on the Squier plate. A fact I didn't pick up on until I was showing SWMBO what I was planning. :facepalm:

It was right around this point when it dawned on me that the master control plate was drilled for metric, so rather than gooch the plating with a reamer or a drill I went ahead and bought one that's properly drilled for the U.S. spec pots and jack I have on hand.
    1636830924149.jpg

I might be probably will be stashing all of the chrome bits that came on this axe. Good thing I have a bunch of painter's tape I suppose.

I know they say "it don't come easy", but I didn't think it would literally be like playing piano on a snowy mountainside wearing ski gloves.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    IGRocker likes this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The Johnny Marr plate came and it's everything a guy could hope for.
    1637170834560.jpg
    There was one downside to the Switchcraft switches: the lever is knuckle gratingly high of you mount directly to the plate (right). Fortunately, folks like Faction Guitars make spacers to correct that (left).
    1637170826218.jpg
    Two highly profitable (for them) pieces of plastic later and I'm happy.
    1637170840795.jpg

Davis Sharp and Darkness like this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I stole a little time to do a bit of the wiring I could do off the guitar.
    1637866174594.jpg
    A little ground wire action.
    1637866190672.jpg
    529K (measured) Volume with my homemade treble bleed, 500K (measured) no-load tone pot with a 0.033uF 50V cap, and a Pure Tone jack.
    1637866197116.jpg
    1637866317192.jpg
    Pots leveled so the knobs line up.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Nduro, Darkness and Davis Sharp like this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Warranty: voided. :laugh2:
    This is the techy post - the next one will be glamour shots.
    1638560649259.jpg
    Last shot unmolestered.

1638560674168.jpg
    Various bits of sawdust and schmoo under the guard. The upper bridge post wasn't seated properly, so I tapped it down after the next step.
    1638560689414.jpg
    I had decided to pull the electronics as a unit assembly and in order to do that I had to release the ground wire. I was also having symptoms of a bad bridge ground so either way this was inevitable.
    1638560700359.jpg
    The ground wire was drilled from the bushing socket fairly high up so I made my tinned wire section long enough to reach the bottom and come up the other side. I also decided that since I was shielding the guitar I may as well incorporate the bushing into the fun.
    1638560733515.jpg
    Control package consisting of a 529K CTS volume with one of my "artisan crafted" (homemade) treble bleeds, a 500K no load CTS tone pot with a 0.033uF ±5% 50V Nissei capacitor, and a Pure Tone jack. I prefer soldering grounds to the buss wire because it's easier and I don't have to heat the pot again.
    1638560727615.jpg
    A CRL 3 way switch. I soldered the ground buss from the upper switch plate through one of the lower rivets and continued it from the other one to the main control buss.
    1638560740887.jpg
    Body buttoned up. I neglected to take any shots of the upper switches, but it's all pretty straight forward. One is a master coil split and the other is a series / parallel.
    Pickups are a DiMarzio Gravity Storm Neck and Bridge.

Neck specs:
    Wiring: 4 Conductor
    Magnet: Ceramic
    Resistance: 12.56 Kohm
    Year of Introduction:2012​

From DiMarzio: Most neck humbuckers don't do a great job at reproducing pick harmonics, especially if they have a warm sound. This one's different, particularly with 24-fret guitars. The combination of fat neck position tone with harmonics is something we haven't often encountered before. It has a throaty quality that sounds like a cross between a humbucker and a single-coil.

Bridge specs:
    Wiring: 4 Conductor
    Magnet: Alnico 5
    Resistance: 15.19 Kohm
    Year of Introduction: 2012​

From DiMarzio: A high-impact pickup doesn't need a tremendous output level to make its point. Where the Evolution® Bridge Model is about power and sharp-edged tone, the Gravity Storm™ is more about depth and warm highs and mids. It's very much a plug and play pickup — it doesn't require a lot of tweaking to get a great sound. Because the highs are very fat, it's possible to increase treble response on your amp without losing tone and sustain on the high frets.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Nduro, IGRocker and Davis Sharp like this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Glamour shots.
    1638560768568.jpg
    Hipshot open gear locking tuners, and a GraphTech TUSQ string tree.
    1638560756849.jpg
    Vintage Radio Shack knobs (SWMBO picked them from a bunch I had). I added a B5 Bigsby with a Callaham string bar, sealed roller bearings (in place of the bronze bushings) in the front roller, and an arm stop delete mounted to a Vibramate plate which all feeds to a Tone Pros roller bridge.

The upper control plate is a Johnny Marr. Main controls are on an inch spec lower plate (stock is metric) and the switch is on the stock "Marr" style plate as SWMBO wasn't down with the Wronski.
    The strap is a Steve Vai Blue Universe ClipLock from DiMarzio.

I finished a bit after midnight and managed to take the pictures quietly so as not to wake SWMBO.

Hellooooo Nurse!
    1638560763939.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    imnotcreative, IGRocker and Darkness like this.
  8. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Nice work! I’ve been meaning to try a Gravity storm out. I have an old Ibanez RG in need of some love that I’ve been thinking of dropping one into. The only pickup I’ve had much luck with pinch harmonics is the Wizz neck pickup in my black LPC. You’ll have to give a tone report!

Raiyn likes this.
  9. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Looking at it a bit closer, are those knobs the same as the ones that Boss uses on pedals? They look like the ones I have on my 15-20 year old DS-1!

Raiyn likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The Radio Shack knobs are quite similar. Bigger obviously, and set screw. I have another set of four that are destined for a future pedal build.

IGRocker likes this.
  11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

?? Do you have one of those 19th century cameras with the exploding flash? :)

The guitar looks terrific, excellent work.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

No, no. Don't be daft. Mine sounds like the camera effect in the opening of Duran Duran's Girls on Film. :naughty:

I meant that she fell asleep in the living room, and I had to tip toe past her and the cats to the office with guitar and stand to get my traditional "door" shots.

Thank you. I'm quite pleased with it myself. Now to get some amp time with it.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

In my best Ikea: Kabeldragningens schematiska.
    1638725270082.jpg

The switches are clearly in the upper horn and not push pulls, but you get the idea.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  14. Space1999

I love that guitar:wow: strap! It’s like it was made for that guitar. :)

Pat

Raiyn likes this.
  15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Thank you. I've had some good luck matching straps with guitars the last couple tries.

I've changed the switch tip to a chrome barrel, (it fits better than the black one) and I've ordered a set of chrome Mighty Mite metal rings to break up the sea of black plastic in the middle of the guitar. It may prove to be too much bling, but... that's what eBay / Reverb is for.

16. Space1999

Had to look up the Gravity Drop pu’s. Very smart decision on your part Raiyn. The specs and reviews say these pu’s are going to be perfect for Hello Nurse! :)

Pat

Raiyn likes this.
  17. Noodling Guitars

Noodling Guitars Active Member

wow that's an amazing looking guitar and nice upgrades too (just finished reading the thread)!

Raiyn likes this.
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. It looks as though I'm to be banished to the cave while SWMBO completes her Christmas shopping, so I'll be installing those rings. Probably also snap an upper switch plate pic while I'm at it.

19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

As promised, here's that upper switch section.
    how the sausage gets made.jpg

While I was in there, I also changed the neck shim to one from the Evil Empire. I found a guy that breaks packs and will ship whatever you actually need. I did attempt to replicate a "roasted" appearance on the edge with a butane torch lighter but only managed a bit of a blackened singe - which works for me.
    mnightshimmyalala.jpg
    I did have to break out the sanding sponges and massage the fit a bit - as well as add the proper hole for the contoured neck. While I was at it, I polished the fret ends, and rounded the fingerboard edges a tad. I then cleaned and oiled the fretboard with Crimson Guitars products. For the final setup change, I took the nylon washer out of the Bigsby - I've got a Reverend spring in there and it was just too dang tall.

Due to my own lack of surface preparation, I did have to redo the case sticker, and add "a touch of home" while I was at it.
    Nurse Sticker set.jpg
    That's a DM&IR railroad roundel. A pretty common sight when I was a kid.
    1639954949520.jpg

Now for the big cosmetic change:
    shiny.jpg
    A pair of Mighty Mite chrome pickup rings. Actual proper chromed metal, not that plastic ish. They've got some gravity in them for sure. I had to massage the pickguard *a bit* to get them to fit (sanding sponges again) - but I'm digging it.

A full length shot:
    Helloooooo Nurse!.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    Noodling Guitars likes this.
  20. Space1999

I’m loving it Raiyn! :)

Pat

Raiyn likes this.