Help! I messed up my new (used) Epi ES 339 Pro (First Post)

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by DB145, Jan 13, 2018.

1. DB145

DB145 New Member

In what continues to be a frustrating guitar upgrade experience, I idiotically ripped one of the volume/push-push pot shaft my recently acquired used Epiphone ES 339 pro. So far I like the guitar and feel its a keeper so Id like to fix it.

Questions for the wise forum members...

Where is the best place to buy a replacement harness? What cost am I looking at?

Is this the point where I just "upgrade"? Not really interested in spending more money, I just want to play already!

The other push-pull pot was not giving a positive click and has to be tapped with real purpose to hear that "click". It worked "electronically" switching between single and humbucker but not physically. Considering Guitar Center described as fully functional, can I make a case for free or discounted replacement harness?

As far as I can tell the pots, the 3-way selector, and the output jack can be replaced as a whole by connecting a couple white plastic plugs (no soldering), is this accurate?

Will a LP pro wiring harness be the same? They look similar just missing the wrapping that groups the wires so they arent all over the place as the F-holes on an ES would show that mess.

Anyone willing to donate old wiring that they took out after upgrading?

I had a really long post about my experience leading up to this point but it seems like it TOO long and the forum won’t let me post. It said it contains spam like elements and to contact administrator. Quick summary, I had ordered 4 new Epiphone traditional pro II but returned them due to defects before I bought this use ES which i'd like to keep.

Thanks for your help!

2. CheshireFrog

CheshireFrog Well-Known Member

You don't need to replace the whole harness, just order and solder in a new pot. There's a chance someone here will have a push-pull pot laying around to donate. If not, try Allparts. The 335 is a definite keeper, fix it and love it.

DB145 likes this.
  3. DB145

DB145 New Member

Thanks for the reply CheshireFrog. I guess I was thinking of replacing the whole harness because...

-Appears to be plug-play which works since I have no soldering experience at all. This would be something i could handle
    -one pot was already not functioning properly (physically) and I ripped out the second one. The cost of two replacements and more importantly, someone's time to solder, might be close to, if not more than a new harness.

Of course if someone were kind enough to donate some Epi push pull pots that would change the game.

I already love it so I plan on seeing it out. Its got its little blemishes here and there but its just a sweet guitar and a very good second hand price.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I agree with Frog. Pots are very cheap and easy to replace. Congrats on the new guitar and welcome to the forum.

DB145 likes this.
  5. CheshireFrog

CheshireFrog Well-Known Member

Learn to solder, it's not hard, and it can save you a ton of money. Irons are cheap on Ebay and Amazon. Youtube videos teaching how to do it are free and plentiful. Plus, you'll have skin in the game, it'll make the 335 more yours.

DB145, Raiyn and Caddy like this.
  6. Caddy

Caddy Well-Known Member

I have one Epi push-pull pot that I took out of my Epi Traditional Pro LP. The other had been removed before I got it.

DB145 likes this.
  7. Cam.man67

Cam.man67 Well-Known Member

I've had good success with contacting Epi customer service to obtain replacement push-pull pots. Usually its no charge to you, to boot.

DB145 likes this.
  8. John

John Well-Known Member

I have never had to use customer service, "knock on wood" but that's good info, thanks for sharing Cam. I have called Sweetwater on a issue with strings that broke before they were fully tuned and I had 2 break out of a 3 set package deal. They replaced with a full set, no questions asked...

9. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Well-Known Member

Hey, hit this guy up:
    [email protected]
    He does prewired harnesses. Just tell him what you need and he will build it for you.

A nice drop in harness!

DB145 likes this.
  10. DB145

DB145 New Member

All thanks for the replies. I read them and went to GC where the tech gave me some pots he had lying around. Super cool guy. It looks like the pots are the same up to the green printed circuit board. Past that, the ES339 pot's second set of wires run much longer and end up soldered to at least one tone pot. The "replacement" pots I was given have a shorter wire with a very convenient plug (see photos below; wouldn't that have been nice?)

So if understand correctly, ill need to heat and remove the 10 or so soldered connection points between the "body" and the green circuit board. I can then reattach the replacement bodies to the wired green circuit board in my guitar.

IMG_4450 (2).jpg
    I think ill give the soldering a shot but it will take a while to round up the right tools and practice.
    If you have some links or tips you've found particularly useful Id appreciate it. It looks like this is generally what I should do...

Luckily the guitar is playable so I'm going to restring, clean, and set it up tonight and enjoy.

IMG_4447 (3).jpg

CheshireFrog likes this.
  11. DB145

DB145 New Member

Thank you Dave. Ill keep his email handy in case the soldering doesn't workout.

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  12. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Take photos or draw the connections before you de-solder the original so that you know where the wires re-attach. There are wiring diagrams on the internet, but you may have to translate the DPDT pot format (with circuit board) to the one with lugs and translate a the pickup wiring color scheme to Epi humbuckers (different pup makers use different color schemes to make life hard for modders).

Cover your guitar when soldering.

YouTube has a few videos on how to handle the pots in a (semi) hollow body. You can get some tubing and put it around the knob shaft to guide the pots so that they don't fall in.

CheshireFrog likes this.