Help me identify these pups

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Dudemeister, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Dudemeister

Dudemeister Active Member

I have a Epi Les Paul made in the Fine plant in 06. I got it new around 07 at Guitar Center, and the tag said it had Tony Iommi pickups, which was weird because I would have thought those pickups would be on a SG.

Nevertheless, I expected them to have a dark muddy sound, but to the contrary, these are nice and bright but don't have the bite I get out of my other Epi Les Pauls, so a couple of weeks ago, I got a set of 57 Classic + Probucker zebras, and replaced the original pups.

So here are the original ones. While they look like Iommi pups, there are a couple of differences. There is no PAF sticker on them, and the cable is embedded in the epoxy at an angle. These are 4 wire pups, but were wired together (no coil tap), and they measure between 8.76K & 8.81K for each pair of wires (red/white and black/green).

So what is it I have? Did Epiphone make a version of the Gibson Iommi pups?

Attached Files:

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but whatever they are, I don't believe they came stock in an LP.
    s-l400.jpg

3. Dudemeister

Dudemeister Active Member

And that's why I'm confused. When I bought that guitar, it had new tags on it. I remember the basic factory tag didn't have anything special on them, however the Guitar Center Tag price tag said "w/Tonny Iommi Pickups". I wouldn't think they would swap out the pickups and sell the guitar.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but the quitar is a "Limited Edition" model. Here is the serial #
    Blondie_SN.jpg