How's Your Weather Today?

Otto99

Reaction score
Hot as Hell, and humid AF, but it’s Memphis, so we sigh, accept, and persevere. I’d rather be in Cocoa Beach, where there was always a breeze off the beach making weather like this more bearable. Wearing nothing but board shorts and getting in the water helped a lot, too.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Another hot sunny day (for here) with blue skies & a high of 20C today, Thunderstorms arrived yesterday afternoon which cleared the humid air just as I threatened to wear those shorts :D

Digger

Reaction score
Another hot sunny day (for here) with blue skies & a high of 20C today, Thunderstorms arrived yesterday afternoon which cleared the humid air just as I threatened to wear those shorts :D
The world doesn’t realise just how close it came………..

EPIS_MIK

Reaction score
Whoa......108F is like cooking eggs on the sidewalk time. If these trends are never reversed one day the human race is gonna end up like frogs cooking in water slowly brought to a boil.
I'm used to it, being in Arizona. 112 is normal in the Summer in Tucson, and Phoenix (Where most Arizonans live) gets much hotter than that. And the growth of Phoenix has contributed to its ability to hold heat, so it can stay hot through the night, while Tucson still tends to cool down in the evening.

Building millions of homes in a desert with almost no natural sources of replenishable water... What could go wrong?

soulman969

Reaction score
I'm used to it, being in Arizona. 112 is normal in the Summer in Tucson, and Phoenix (Where most Arizonans live) gets much hotter than that. And the growth of Phoenix has contributed to its ability to hold heat, so it can stay hot through the night, while Tucson still tends to cool down in the evening.

Building millions of homes in a desert with almost no natural sources of replenishable water... What could go wrong?
LOL.....the point we may be missing though is that developers don't care what happens once the development is complete. Nothing is to stand in the way of profits.

I'm by my nature a dyed in the wool capitalist but I also believe that we have as a nation come to allow rampant capitalism to run amok in ways that have not been and never will be to our benefit.

So your point is well taken. If million dollar homes built in the desert cannot get water what is that home then worth? Las Vegas has a similar problem with water and power as well.

The mountains of Colorado can only produce so much snow and that has been decreasing of late. So the Colorado River which supplies all of those desert communities can no longer keep up and reservoirs like Lake Powell and Lake Mead are being drained faster than the river can keep up. What will happen when the water supply runs out entirely?

soulman969

Reaction score
Here in partly sunny Ft Collins it is 85F and overall a very pleasant summer day with RH of just 27%. Very comfortable.

Digger

Reaction score
Top of 17C expected here today though a nippy 4C here just after 6AM.

We are told that the La Nina weather pattern to our north that is bringing cooler, wetter weather had ended but might resume in spring....Sigh.

It’s official folks, Australia is hogging all the water over the last 12 months!

Lancpudn

Reaction score
They'll be changing the name of the place before much longer to Australancs :D Cloudy & windy here with the gusts blowing over some of my plant containers :frown: I've never had to move them out of the wind so many times before than this year.Top temps of 18C.

soulman969

Reaction score
Following some late PM rain a major cold front moved in overnight. Today's high will only be 74F and we're only at 56F now under cloudy skies. That's a bit cool for late June.

Looks like I may have found a place to move into next weekend and it's only a few blocks from my daughters house. It just across the street from the pool and playground for their subdivision so when she takes the girls to the pool I'll be able to walk over from my place.....:applause:

Little Rory is turning into quite the Grandpa's girl. When I arrived yesterday she was outside playing with Rylan but came down the driveway to greet me with a big hug. She'll be two in another two months.

rory18mths.jpg

EPIS_MIK

Reaction score
LOL.....the point we may be missing though is that developers don't care what happens once the development is complete. Nothing is to stand in the way of profits.

I'm by my nature a dyed in the wool capitalist but I also believe that we have as a nation come to allow rampant capitalism to run amok in ways that have not been and never will be to our benefit.

So your point is well taken. If million dollar homes built in the desert cannot get water what is that home then worth? Las Vegas has a similar problem with water and power as well.

The mountains of Colorado can only produce so much snow and that has been decreasing of late. So the Colorado River which supplies all of those desert communities can no longer keep up and reservoirs like Lake Powell and Lake Mead are being drained faster than the river can keep up. What will happen when the water supply runs out entirely?
Indeed! Profits over long-term planning. Or another way to think of it--- Short term profits over long-term profits.

soulman969

Reaction score
Indeed! Profits over long-term planning. Or another way to think of it--- Short term profits over long-term profits.
In my adult lifetime I have seen American industry go from being proud of having policies that not only generated fair profits for their shareholders and fair pay for employees while also protecting them with great benefits and pension plans to what we have now. Pure unadulterated greed.

I'm happy to say that in July I'll be joining a company who still does it the "old fashioned way" and considers it's employees human beings not just cogs in a machine but as it's best and primary resource. There is no excusing other companies who cannot do the same and still generate fair profits.

soulman969

Reaction score
Now where was I.......oh yeah, the weather.

Gonna be a cool and rainy day here in Ft Collins. Very Lancashire like and we're doing this in honor of Ian so he knows others are willing to sacrifice sunshine as well......LOL.

The high is forecast to only hit 70F with a 95% chance of some rain. I switched from wearing shorts to wearing sweat pants because it feels kinda cold and clammy.

Tomorrow we head back into the 80Fs and for the rest of the week through the 4th of July holiday weekend. Perfect BBQ weather.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Back to normal weather with grey skies & rain after the last week of sunny skies, The rain is forecast for most of the day with a high of 16C.

soulman969

Reaction score
65F now and headed for the low 80Fs. Nice sunny day here and one thing I've been noticing is that I'm no longer breathing foul city air.

Denver itself sits in a shallow river valley with higher ground in all four directions so temperature inversions tend to keep the pollution compressed in that bowl the city and surrounding suburbs sit in.

Ft Collins doesn't have that same problem plus I'm no longer gonna be living half a block from a very busy major crosstown highway. I'm already breathing better and sneezing far less.

Latest posts