How's Your Weather Today?

Otto99

Reaction score
Trust me, you DON'T want that dubious honor. Best case scenario based on current info is that it hits in the less densely populated "Big Bend" after hitting a bunch of shear to weaken it.
This is the 11 A.M. advisory
View attachment 18815
View attachment 18816
I do NOT like how the Euro model (pink) is trying to bring a Cat 4 storm into my lap.

Hopefully the 2 PM advisory pushes things West some more.
I saw this morning that Jim Cantore is in Clearwater, and as I recall that’s just a bit north of you. Cantore is the Weather Channel’s Special Ops guy for those who don’t know, and is usually sent to where they expect it to get bad. Take cover!

Raiyn

Reaction score
track_storm1 (2).jpg
spaghetti_storm1 (1).jpg
From the 11 A.M. advisory. This sh¡t ain't good.
Even if it runs up the coast we're in the Northeast Quadrant for the bulk of the model runs. Guaranteed Tropical Storm force winds at a minimum. The house isn't in a flood / evacuation zone, but it's old and predates Miami-Dade by decades.

We got the plywood down from the rafters last night, and it will go up today / tomorrow. Hopefully, it's enough.

I don't mind saying that this has me on edge. The last time a storm like this came through was Irma and SWMBO sent me off with the furballs to Atlanta. She rode it out at the hospital where she works.

I'm trying not to freak out, but every instinct is telling me to grab SWMBO and the cats and haul ass.

This is the sh¡t I've been trying to move us away from. Hopefully, when all is said and done, we still have a choice in the matter.

Digger

Reaction score
View attachment 18828
View attachment 18829
From the 11 A.M. advisory. This sh¡t ain't good.
Even if it runs up the coast we're in the Northeast Quadrant for the bulk of the model runs. Guaranteed Tropical Storm force winds at a minimum. The house isn't in a flood / evacuation zone, but it's old and predates Miami-Dade by decades.

We got the plywood down from the rafters last night, and it will go up today / tomorrow. Hopefully, it's enough.

I don't mind saying that this has me on edge. The last time a storm like this came through was Irma and SWMBO sent me off with the furballs to Atlanta. She rode it out at the hospital where she works.

I'm trying not to freak out, but every instinct is telling me to grab SWMBO and the cats and haul ass.

This is the sh¡t I've been trying to move us away from. Hopefully, when all is said and done, we still have a choice in the matter.
Wishing you both the best of luck and thinking about you both. Please stay safe!

Otto99

Reaction score
Peaked around 80°/26° with sunny skies and low humidity. If there’s a storm in the Gulf, as we know there is, we usually get some rain and occasionally heavy winds in the aftermath, but so far there’s no mention in the forecast.

Raiyn

Reaction score
It appears that the Euro model was, in fact, correct. While this is certainly a much better scenario for my local family and friends, spare a care for those around Fort Myers who are getting hit with a nearly Category 5 storm.

satellite_gulf.gif

Digger

Reaction score
To anybody in the path of this juggernaut, please keep safe and our thoughts and best wishes are with you.

Wet, wet, wet again and at 6.15 AM I’ve just kicked the wood heater in the guts as it looks like being an inside day.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
It's an overcast day here with a high of 15C, I don't think any more of the bell peppers will ripen from green to red at this time of the season, Cant complain though as I've had the best year ever for those heat loving plants due to the few heatwave spells we had here.
Even made a moussaka with the aubergines/egg plants I grew & it was very tasty indeed. Forgot to take a pic of that dish. :facepalm:

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
It appears that the Euro model was, in fact, correct. While this is certainly a much better scenario for my local family and friends, spare a care for those around Fort Myers who are getting hit with a nearly Category 5 storm.

satellite_gulf.gif
Hope you and Mrs. Raiyn are OK.

My mother (Tampa) and brother (Land O'Lakes) were fine yesterday and did not lose utilities. Brother, however, lives in a sinkhole-prone area (more than usual for FL). So we'll see what all this water does.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Hope you and Mrs. Raiyn are OK.

My mother (Tampa) and brother (Land O'Lakes) were fine yesterday and did not lose utilities. Brother, however, lives in a sinkhole-prone area (more than usual for FL). So we'll see what all this water does.
We haven't been over to look yet, but we know the power is out. There were gusts of 75+ mph in the area, but we did what we could - so things should be pretty OK.

Lessons learned:
  1. Permanently mounted, deployable impact shutters are in our future, be they Bahama, accordion, or roll down - because storing plywood in rafters, getting it down, hoisting it to the window, screwing it in etc. SUCKS.
  2. A mounted standby generator is in discussion because we lose power every time we get so much as skimmed by a storm.
  3. Next roof will bring hurricane straps / clips

Unfortunately, I don't think SWMBO has learned the lesson I learned 18 years ago during Charlie, if you don't like Hurricanes - don't live where they go. Tampa Bay (the region named for the body of water) has indeed been fortunate for the last century, but Mama Nature plays for keeps.

I haven't turned on the news yet, frankly I'm worried about what I'll see out of Fort Myers.

Latest posts