How's Your Weather Today?

Raiyn

Reaction score
Nice to know I'm not the only one with that same issue. I have one more bass than my bass rack will hold and now two more guitars than my guitar rack will hold. Both G&Ls. Luckily I had some spare stands.

I'm looking to sell one but it seems that sales have slowed considerably as evidenced by both Fender and others looking to dump sub $1500 MSRP inventory at huge discounts or via their own websites. The Squier CV Jazz Bass was sold at 50% of MSRP and the G&L Comanche I just bought was 40% off MSRP. I didn't need either but wanted both and couldn't pass on the pricing.

The only difference for me is that I no longer have a wife to justify my gear buying too and as result I have far more of it. I'm not altogether certain yet whether that's a good thing or not but most was purchased for far less than it would sell for now so I guess it beats a bank account paying less than 1% interest and my retirement funds are separate.
It boils down to "things I do to keep the peace".

I don't find it particularly burdensome as I'm not one of those guys that needs 15 recent production Les Pauls and / or a dozen Teles (Although if I had that many actual '58 - '60 models, or John 5's Tele collection I wouldn't gripe).

For the most part, I have the shapes / sounds that interest me. There's one or two that I'm looking at, but as noted, I have storage for one - so I'm being super picky about it. of

It's still going to be an import of some kind, (budget ÷ talent) but it needs to be awesome •before• I dress it up. I don't really want another "Ship of Theseus" project like my Jag, G400, or Strat where there's nothing left of the original electronics or hardware.

Granted, some of that is going to happen anyway just because of personal preferences, but I'd like to keep it simple by my standards.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
It boils down to "things I do to keep the peace".

Oh I have definitely been there and done that too. Although I've owned and sold a whole of of gear throughout my career I've never had the numbers I do now.

When I was married I can recall one time when I needed to justify why I needed two basses and that's when I was gigging every weekend and paying for gear with gig money.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Oh I have definitely been there and done that too. Although I've owned and sold a whole of of gear throughout my career I've never had the numbers I do now.

When I was married I can recall one time when I needed to justify why I needed two basses and that's when I was gigging every weekend and paying for gear with gig money.

I have two guitar racks which hold four in each & I got to putting two guitars in one slot to hide the fact I'd been buying more guitars just to keep the peace. :rofl:

Dark gloomy day here with steady rain, Top temp of 8C.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I have two guitar racks which hold four in each & I got to putting two guitars in one slot to hide the fact I'd been buying more guitars just to keep the peace. :rofl:

Dark gloomy day here with steady rain, Top temp of 8C.
We each do what we need to survive. SWMBO need never know. ;)

Oh, and sorry about the rain......again. :facepalm:

Digger

Reaction score

You can’t play golf with just one club now can ya?

Raiyn

Reaction score

If the bills are paid and the axe(s) are paying for themselves... Well most of you guys know where I'm going.

Not an option for me, I'm afraid. I store my axes in hard shell SKB TSA cases for protection from the maniac horde of furballs. There isn't any disguising that. Especially not when I label them and put identifiable stickers based on the theme of the guitar on them.

That's done for three reasons:
  1. It amuses me. I like building theme guitars around a character and the sticker just ties that concept to the case.
  2. Shows I'm not hiding anything. SWMBO isn't a guitar person. She might not be able to identify the model of the axe, but she recognizes them based on the characters I've assigned.
  3. Using that knowledge, if I'm running late for something where I'm taking an axe, I can ask her to have "GIR" just inside the door for a grab-n-go. Or, if I'm sending out a guitar for work that's beyond my toolset during business hours I can tell her which one to take.

SWMBO doesn't know about my voluntary cap - and it is voluntary, at least not yet. Which is why I want the last one to be exactly what I want.

74°F party sunny.

Xanadu has hit that treacherous stage of late fall / early winter. Daytime temps in the high 30's and night time temps below freezing which makes driving conditions a real 💩 show.
That'd be why I'm such a big fan of subzero weather - you know what you're getting into.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Xanadu has hit that treacherous stage of late fall / early winter. Daytime temps in the high 30's and night time temps below freezing which makes driving conditions a real 💩show.
That'd be why I'm such a big fan of subzero weather - you know what you're getting into.
My former roomie is a transport driver of special use vehicles like cranes, bucket trucks, etc. The very first time he had to pick up a truck in Duluth I kinda chuckled and suggested what he might be in for.

When he eventually got back from delivering it somewhere in Oregon or Washington I asked him if it was all I said it would be. He said no, it was much worse and this is a guy who went to college at Montana State. :rofl:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Looks like we may have a rainy Thanksgiving Day or at least a start to it. But not as cold as it's been. High should be around 50F. Will be heading back to Denver for a feast with my son-in-laws family.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine he was able to skirt around the edges of Duluth, if he had to go through town.... Suffice to say there's ice in them thar' hills.
His first trip up there was a while ago but he's been back a few more times since. At least now if it's not in the summer he knows what he might be up against.

I told him that folks who live around Gitchee Gumee say the ice never melts it just sinks to the bottom during the summer.....

Last edited:

Digger

Reaction score
We are expecting a similar day here today, to yesterday. 21C and a nice dry day.

It’s light here at 5.30AM now and not fully dark until 8.30PM and by the longest day we should be getting over 15 hours of daylight.

We were producing over 6 Kw of power yesterday around lunch time!

Lancpudn

Reaction score
We are expecting a similar day here today, to yesterday. 21C and a nice dry day.

It’s light here at 5.30AM now and not fully dark until 8.30PM and by the longest day we should be getting over 15 hours of daylight.

We were producing over 6 Kw of power yesterday around lunch time!

We had another overnight deluge again & everywhere is sodden with standing water. The skies have cleared up this morning for a change & there's a bit of blue sky & sunshine to be had today. Top temp of 9C.

It doesn't get light until 07:30-45 here & starts to go dark at 4:00pm this time of year.

Good going on the solar mate, you cant beat producing your own energy. Lots of brouhaha here again regarding energy/petrol/diesel!
Another rise in electric/natural gas energy prices is due early next year & the EU/UK are rushing to fill storage tanks all over Europe with diesel before the sanctions kick in on February 5th.

Gas oil (red diesel) storage tanks have to be emptied by the end of this month to comply with the sanctions :shock:
The UK banned red diesel for a lot of industries this year such as construction etc but British rail diesel locomotives still run on it & the farming industry still use it, Not sure how it's going to affect those industries if they cant get a quick replacement supply & they have to use the much more expensive stuff. There's a huge difference in taxation between red diesel & normal diesel if you're not familiar with how much it costs, red diesel is around a quarter of the price of normal diesel. :wow:

Latest posts