I hate that pickguard!!

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Dale A., Oct 12, 2021.

1. Dale A.

Dale A. New Member

I'm wondering if I should replace the pickguard on my new IBG J-45. I'm really torn because the guitar sounds great and I wouldn't want to change that. The darn thing is about 1/8" thick, runs from the neck to the bridge, and is so cloudy you can't really tell it's supposed to be tortoise like. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

2. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Sounds awful ... can we see it ?

3. Dale A.

Dale A. New Member

IMG_3502 2.JPG So it's not as long as I said, but you can see how cloudy it looks. Funny thing....I saw a picture of another one and it had that same cloudy white dot below the point on the pickguard.

4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Put a big Epiphone sticker on it. No one will notice the cloudiness. :)

I've never removed a pg from an acoustic. I imagine some sort of heat gun is required, followed by a solvent to remove the residual glue. I'm not sure I'd do that on a $750 guitar.

5. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I don't really see the problem. Tortoise is not necessarily an uniform texture. See it as making your guitar unique in some way.

6. Dale A.

Dale A. New Member

Hmm....yeh, I guess you're right.

7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Stupid question (but who better to ask?), is the cloudiness due to the protective film?

BobbyMac and Supersonic like this.
  8. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

:fingersx:
    Hard to say what is what with all the reflexions (cell, hands, shirt, etc).

Untitled-1.jpg

Davis Sharp likes this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I watch this Canadian Luthier on YouTube (twoodfrd) and while I enjoy watching his videos, I will never be on his level. Having said that, one potential landmine here is not knowing what kind of adhesive is under that pickguard.

It could be double sided tape, or it could be Ultramegabond 9000. Was the body 100% dry when the guard was put down? I know poly dries fast, but it's a question. If it wasn't, is there a depression? Did the adhesive mingle with the poly chemically?

The potential for a gooch is pretty high here, best advice - go play the guitar. If you love it, don't worry about it. If it bothers you that much, move it on.

Cozmik Cowboy likes this.
  10. Darkness

Darkness Well-Known Member

Best case scenario is you have a difference in finish between what is under the guard and what is not. I peeled back the guard on a cheap guitar I have and could see a slight difference, as if the rest had been sun faded, like the reverse of a tanline.

Maybe leave it on, or pull it with plans to replace it with another guard that will cover any unforseen underneath. Or pull it and go "bad idea" and put it right back. Any of this is at your own risk.

I don't think it looks bad but I see what you mean. There isn't a lot of definition in the tortoise pattern. Kind of muddy. Doesn't look bad though.

IGRocker likes this.
  11. Charles Carter

Charles Carter Member

It'd have a go at masking the pickguard off and buffing the living daylights out of it to see if that made it more acceptable before considering removing it and possibly causing a major Charlie Foxtrot!
    I appreciate it wont remove the cloudiness but it may bring up the colours and make it a lot less obvious?

12. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Hahaha, I was gonna ask that last night but I thought 'Nah, that can't be it'. Sometimes they really put that stuff on there good and it's hard to even notice.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  13. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Member

I've actually had pickguards with TWO layers of plastic protective film on them. If the OP hasn't carefully checked for the film, that might be the problem.

14. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

I’d leave it, but use your choice of a buffing compound and polish it back. It might clear up some. I wouldn’t remove it for the reasons above.

… or maybe I would :hmm: I’ve done crazier in the automotive/motorcycle world :io:

Darkness and Raiyn like this.
  15. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

Lizard Spit scratch and scuff remover will bring it right back.

Pat

16. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers Active Member

You'll not be happy with yourself unless the old one and new one are replaced flawlessly.

Looks classic, by the way, not sure what the issue is....

IGRocker likes this.
  17. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

I would go to the local College and ask around the Art Department and maybe you can help a young artist and yourself at the same time.

18. Russ Bell

Russ Bell New Member

You could do a few things.
    1. Tape around it with wide tape and then buff it up with polishing compound and put a good waxing or clear coat poly on it. The sheen will mask the milky ness of it.
    2. If you play like me, the pick guard is there for a reason and before long there will be pick stokes.
    3. You could replace it, (I wouldn’t but if I needed too I would have a luthier for it).
    4. Use a strong glue and put another on top.
    5. My best advice is what someone already suggested, if you like it, play it and let it be unique unto itself.

19. tinman

tinman New Member

Well, I must agree, it isn't the prettiest pick-guard I've ever seen. But would seek professional advice before trying to remove: so many possibilities there.
    So, you like the sound coming out of the guitar; which trumps 'eye-candy' any day. I like the suggestion of adding a bit of "bespoke artwork" to smarten up the P-G.
    Do post if you decide that route.
    Best of British to you

IGRocker likes this.
  20. jim Lacey

jim Lacey New Member

HELLO, THERE TRY SOME T.CUT CAR PAINT RESTORER I'VE USED THIS ON OTHER GUITARS AND IT WAS SUCCESSFUL.