I've had GAS again...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Dudemeister, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Dudemeister

Dudemeister Active Member

GAS strikes again...

A couple of weeks ago, while on vacation, I walked into a Guitar Center just looking around, and saw a used Schecter Hellraiser on the wall. Plugged in, played it for a couple of minutes and found that I liked the feel, very similar to the LTD I had, but a nicer built, with MOP binding around the body and headstock. It also had active EMG humbuckers with coil splitting, locking Grover tuners and string through body construction.

The price was Ok ($325), but it had scratchy pots that would need either cleaning or replacement. I made them an offer, but they wouldn't budge. according to the manager, they only drop prices when the guitar had been on the wall for 90 days, and this one was only a month old.

Anyway, when I got home I started looking for used guitars on the Guitar Center web site, and found quite a few Hellraisers, but one that caught my eye was a 2013 special edition called a HellRaiser 006 Special Edition. The body shape is different, with the horns somewhat reminiscent of a Rickenbacker. To make things more interesting, it also had a Floyd Rose trem. The price was $299, so I called the store, which was in Tennessee and ask someone to take a look and give me an honest assessment. Basically the front is in very good condition, but there are a few light scratches on the back, as expected from a played guitar. The trem bar and the spring cover were missing, but otherwise the guitar was in good shape.

So I bought the guitar, and yesterday UPS showed up with my new axe. The strings were terrible, and the neck had too much relief, but after about 1 hour worth of setup (those FR trems are not the easiest thing to tune), it plays very nice. I'm still trying to figure out the actual tone difference between double coil and single coil sounds, it's so minimal. Maybe it would make a difference on a true, clean sound, but with some gain, that difference gets lost.

HellRaiser.jpg

Anyway, I ordered a spring cover on eBay and a trem bar direct from Floyd Rose, which I should have by the end of next week.

There is only one thing that kinda bugs me. The fretboard has this whitish stuff in the grain, and I tried all kinds of polishes and cleaners to get it out, but no luck. Does anyone know how to get rid of this crud?

hellraiser fretboard.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    John, BlackSG91, Davis Sharp and 2 others like this.
  2. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

This is buffing material, mine had some too. I applied lemon oil and then rubbed with a cloth, where possible I used a toothpick.

3. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

HNGD DM :thumb:

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Whoa dude, that's beautiful.

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Terrific looking guitar.

6. Dudemeister

Dudemeister Active Member

Thanks guys. Today, I've been mostly watching TV while playing this bad boy, and I'm really liking it.

This is my first Floyd Rose trem, and I'm pretty impressed. Even though I don't have a whammy bar, I've been using the heel of my hand to press on the back of the bridge and get some vibrato, and I really like double locking concept. It really doesn't go out of tune, and it always returns to the right place.

I've had other 2 point trems, and more often than not, they don't return fully to their neutral position, they're always just a tiny bit off (20 cents or so either way), requiring you to either push or pull just a bit to bring it back in tune. This one always comes back to neutral. I really like it.

We'll see ho well it does once I actually give it a workout with a whammy attached.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm glad its working out for you, that's awesome.

8. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Polish will just push it in. So what you see is probably that, something that has been applied and turned white.

I would use a stiff toothbrush brush and hot water. Not working ? Try a strong cleaner. Most of the white stuff should come out. If any remain, a needle is about the only thing that will clean the cavities. If you really like the guitar, you'll have the patience to do it.

It will not harm the wood. Remember that wood was made from water. Once the white stuff is gone, oil it back.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

10. Mr Hockey

Mr Hockey Member

Great looking guitar. Enjoy and have some fun!

11. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

It sure is a nice looking axe. With a good cleaning it will sparkle like a diamond.;)

;>)/