Joe Bonamassa Epiphone "Norm Burst" Les Paul

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Davis Sharp, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

To JoBo's credit, he refers to the version with his sig on the fret board as "the ego model." Anyway, this one looks nice, and, at $699 for the non-sig model, it's reasonably priced.

-----------------------

Epiphone, the leader in affordable professional instruments presents the limited edition Joe Bonamassa 1960 Les Paul Standard “Norm Burst,” the sixth signature guitar created by Joe with Epiphone’s luthiers in Nashville, TN. The exclusive Epiphone “Norm Burst” is designed after the pristine 1960 Les Paul that Joe discovered at Norm’s Rare Guitars in Tarzana, California. The guitar features a classic Les Paul Mahogany body with a Norm Burst finish, ProBuckerTM humbuckers with 50s style wiring and a “Lifton” style case. The Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 1960 Les Paul Standard “Norm Burst” is available at Authorized Epiphone dealers worldwide. GRAMMYTM nominee Joe Bonamassa has become world renowned as one of the most gifted guitarists of his generation. Joe is widely known as an expert and passionate collector of the original Les Paul Standard, perhaps the most coveted vintage instrument of the modern era. The original LP Standard was produced at the Epiphone and Gibson factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan from 1958-1960 in limited quantities and today, original guitars sell for $250,000 or more. The new Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 1960 Les Paul Standard “Norm Burst” is a stunning recreation of Joe’s favorite guitar, a vintage 1960 LP Standard found at Norm’s Rare Guitars. “Norm took ownership of it in the 1980s and his staff nicknamed it the “Norm Burst,” says Joe Bonamassa. “It’s the cleanest vintage Les Paul Standard I’ve ever seen. It’s so new that the nickel pickup covers look chrome. Even the original hang tangs were still there. Acoustically, the first sample that Epiphone sent me sounded like the original. Once again, Epiphone has made a great guitar that I’m proud to have my name on.”

The limited-edition Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 1960 Les Paul Standard “Norm Burst” has a classic Mahogany body with a Norm Burst finish, and a AA Maple Cap with a Flame Veneer top, directly modeled from Joe’s 1960 original. The Epiphone “Norm Burst” is powered by Epiphone ProBuckerTM pickups crafted with the same materials as Gibson BurstBuckers. The tone controls feature MalloryTM tone caps and 50s style wiring. A “Lifton” style case and a Certificate of Authenticity are also included.

2. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

They really missed on the burst though, if it was supposed to be a replica of the Normburst. The one he's playing is a bona fide Clownburst.

Imerkat and Paruwi like this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The guy now has 6 signature models with Epiphone AND a signature Fender "NoCaster" on the way, and he has the brass to single one guitar out as "the ego model"?

Will someone please lock him, John Mayer and Dave Matthews in a room and lose the room?

Great, now comes the second round of price jacking on eBay. :rolleyes:

Dr_Martin and Davis Sharp like this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Wow.
    Joe's not my favorite player, but his skill and popularity are unquestionable and his work ethic must be pretty solid, too. I don't own one of his sigs, but I don't begrudge him the licensing deal.

Sneaks and GDSmithTX like this.
  5. Keefoman

Keefoman Well-Known Member

Seems like a reasonably good LP. Priced a 100 bucks more because of beeing a signature model of course. I also agree with the burst beeing a little too clowny, and as it's not nitro laquer, it won't fade either. I like that it has '50s wiring. Wonder what pots are used?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Since they didn't make a big splashy ©®™ deal out of them: you could bet they're standard fare Alpha.

Keefoman and Davis Sharp like this.
  7. gsmacleod

gsmacleod Well-Known Member

Looks pretty similar to the 1960 V1:

[​IMG]

Shane

8. reelaroundthefountain

reelaroundthefountain Member

not sure if anyone is looking for one of these but I got a pre-order from musician's friend for 649.00 before tax & looks like it'll ship the end of next month! also am very nervous about the finish, the video has much brighter hues than the photos so i'm hoping it's the lighting & finish shining in the light & not how it looks all the time!

9. reelaroundthefountain

LocoTex likes this.
  10. DigitalDreams

DigitalDreams Well-Known Member

I don't get all the vitriol in this forum as of late for things people don't like. The color of this burst isn't my thing either and that's why I won't be getting one but were all supposed to be here for our common love of Epiphones no? Hate to see this forum go the way of so many others I've seen through the years. Happy holidays everyone.

Sneaks, LocoTex and Biddlin like this.
  11. stilwel

stilwel Member

I’m not a fan of the Tomato soup burst, but if the quality is similar to my Epi JB ES-355, then these will be excellent guitars for the money. He does a good job spec’ing out the components.

Norton likes this.
  12. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Wow ! Where do you get that caustic taste ?

Bonamassa's LP is a beauty, but the rendition of it he's demoing is just not it. If we can buy one that has the same well done fade from red to yellow as the original, nobody will say anything. I don't think I was hateful in commenting the quality, or should I say a lack of it. As I see it, a forum is a place for opinion and exchange of information.

And images ... of course.

Hey, here's one to pacify the mood.

[​IMG]
    Les Paul 8 3087 was one of two entered in the Gibson shipping ledger on May 28, 1958, as “2 LP Spec Finish.”​

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Norton likes this.
  13. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Totally with you.

I didn’t catch it until now but if the “norm’s burst” is a 3 piece top, the epi ought to be that way.

How about some of those mis-matched and non center seamed tops ????

Like a deep dive into “burst world”??

Might be cool?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  14. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention, but that is one of the first two Cherry Burst ever.

Norton and Biddlin like this.
  15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    What's not to like? 50's wiring, probuckers, mallory caps and a Lifton style case for $699 usd is a whale of a deal.

16. reelaroundthefountain

stumbled across this random video on YouTube which seems to be a slideshow of photos detailing the guitar & the case, case candy lol, a unauthorised version of the “ego” model?

LocoTex likes this.
  17. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Neck seem pretty fat on that one.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

When I read "Norm Burst" this immediately came to mind. Norm has a LP named after him????

[​IMG]

19. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

20. Keith4001r

Keith4001r New Member

Damn. Just when I thought I had my next guitar purchase(s) decided...
    Not a bad price considering the hard case.
    I’d like to be able to say that I’m not into signature models, but that wouldn’t exactly be accurate.
    Oh well, I’m an old guy, we’re expected to drool.

Tom Moore likes this.