Looking for string suggestions on archtop

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Stefan Olsson, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Stefan Olsson

Stefan Olsson New Member

Hey guys....

New guy here from Los Angeles CA. I recently bought a 2011 Epiphone Broadway. Fantastic jazz box for the money. Question, for you owners out there, what are some flatwound strings that will fit?

For you that might not know, the Broadway has a tailpiece called the frequensator, and the D- string of some brands does not seem to fit, I have read.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Getting ready to have the guitar set up properly and restrung. Not sure what strings are on it now, as I bought it. smaller.jpg

Caddy and Apostata like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Welcome to Epi-Talk. I don't have an answer for you, but that's a gorgeous finish on the Broadway.

Stefan Olsson likes this.
  3. Stefan Olsson

Stefan Olsson New Member

Thanks Davis, I appreciate that

4. Rick Davey

Rick Davey Member

Beautiful guitar!

If it was mine I would go with 11s or 12s with a wound third. Big strings will drive that top harder and get you a stronger resonance.

Let your luthier put them on when he does your setup, he can take care of the tailpiece if it presents an issue.

Maguchi, Caddy and Stefan Olsson like this.
  5. Stefan Olsson

Stefan Olsson New Member

My plan is 11's......I have not played jazz in years. Was playing jazz as a teenager and used 13s as a youngun. Been spoiled with 10s mostly on Les Pauls and teles for the last 20 years, so Im starting light with 11s, flatwound

Maguchi likes this.
  6. Bradley D. Lyons

Bradley D. Lyons Active Member

D’Addario ECG23 XL Chromes Flat Wound Electric Guitar Strings, Extra Light Gauge, 10-48

Available through Amazon. The G string is a flat wound 20 gauge. The nut may need to be opened for the G.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Stefan Olsson likes this.
  7. Stefan Olsson

Stefan Olsson New Member

Thanks Bradley, much appreciated

8. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

I have been using D'Addario's ECG24 set - Chrome Flats, .011-.050 - and just bought a set of the ECG23s (in fact, I was scrolling down to recommend them when I saw Bradley's post); I didn't use Amazon (I went with Sweetwater), so I checked to compare price. I could only find the 3-set package on Amazon; if you want to check them out without investing almost $45, and having 2 useless sets if you don't like them, both Sweetwater and Musicians Friend sell single sets for $14.99 (MF is currently out of stock). Then, if you like them, you stock up from Amazon (for some reason, SW & MF neither one carry the 3-pack of ECG23).

And congrats; that is one yummy box! Enjoy it.

9. Michael V

Michael V New Member

Hello Stefan - nice guitar, I have one too. Bought it new a few years ago from Sweetwater. So I've been experimenting with strings. Have used the following:
    • D'Addario Chrome Flat Wound 12|52
    • D'Addario Half Rounds Semi Flat Wound 13|56
    • John Pearse Acoustic Electric Jazz Long D Nickle Wound 13|56 (this one has an extra long D string)
    • Thomas-Infeld George Benson Jazz Strings Nickle Flat Wound 12|52 * my favorite by far. Can play for hours with no fingering issues. Get the sound I was looking for from that big jazz box hollowbody. I'm not an expert/pro player but would say the TI's are far superior to any flatwounds I've used.
    I also have Pyramid Flatwounds on my Epiphone EJ160-e. Play both guitars through a Vox Mini SuperBeetle.

Epiphone Broadway 1.JPG

10. Chris Mundy

Chris Mundy New Member

11. Chris Mundy

Chris Mundy New Member

I use D'addario flatwound 11s on my Epi Joe Pass and 10s half rounds on my Washburn.

12. TheKat

TheKat Member

By the way, looks like you have the little foam strip which was put in from the factory to avoid damage still between bridge and body.
    Remove it, it will improve the sound as least as much as new strings!

Sometimes (if it isn't curved exacktly like the top) the bridge needs to be "mated" with the guitar top by sanding it with a piece of sandpaper stuck to the top

13. Rad

Rad New Member

I loved these flats on my Gretsch archtop

A56B6AB8-DF3A-4B43-8E76-148B6A8EC1B0.jpeg CA0FFB09-9DD6-437F-B0EB-9BC8AD1AAAD0.jpeg

Apostata and Rick Davey like this.
  14. Maguchi

Maguchi New Member

I agree with some of the other replies. 11 flatwounds would be great on that guitar. My prefernece is an unwound 3rd like a .17. Stainless steel strings are brighter and wear down the frets faster, there are several brands of strings that sell nickel or monel flatwounds.

15. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

Not flats but give the Martin retros a try, Monel round wounds with a nice mellow tone, i run them on my archtops.