Meet the new Boss........ Nextone Special (NAD)

Raiyn

Reaction score
.....NOT the same as the old Boss. Apologies to the Who

It just arrived via FedEx a short while ago and I haven't had a chance to do anything more than unbox it and snap a couple shots.
20220421_112848.jpg
The obligatory "door" shot.

I'm going to have to rearrange my room setup significantly as this Boss beast won't fit in the box I stashed the Katana in to keep it out of furball range.

20220421_123828.jpg
Tolex to tolex.

Reasons for purchase.
  • Effects loop. While I love my first gen Katana, it lacks an effects loop. I've got a pretty big pedalboard that I built with provisions for a four line effects setup. I also have a bunch of pedals I've built that would likely do well in the Nextone's effects loop.
  • It does all the things that I use the Katana for, but better. I don't use the Katana's on-board effects anymore (see above) and lately I've just been running pedals into nothing but the Katana's squeaky clean channel (which is a pretty damn good clean channel) I haven't really been using the other channels - which is why I didn't go Katana Artist Mk. whatever. This amp will allow me to approximate virtually any sort of amp I want without fighting their preconceived channels.
  • This isn't the first model in the Nextone series. Boss released the Stage and Artist models prior to the Special model so it benefits from that experience.
  • Solid State. Tubes are getting stupid expensive. Other than in some audiophile equipment, tubes are uncommon outside of the guitar amp community. Add in the fact that they're typically made in Cold War era factories on ancient equipment in areas you probably wouldn't want to vacation in.
  • No maintenance. No tubes means that unless it breaks outside of warranty - which previous experience says is unlikely - I should get at least 5-6 years out of it before I get an itch to upgrade.
  • Fender Tonemasters would be nice for the back, but they don't have an effect loop!
  • Kemper Combos don't exist. Even if they did, my talent level doesn't justify the cost.
  • Also, related to that last point, I used my Shop-Fu to snag this monster at an incredible (potentially neck saving) discount and the Katana is on "layaway" for a friend further reducing my cost.

I'd looked hard at the new Orange Crush solid state combo, but the Nextone Special just gives me more flavors. I can go from surfy / rockabilly, to British Invasion / new wave, to more Arena Rock / old school metal all in one amp.

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
I miss the days when amps had all the controls on the front like this, not hidden on the top backside.
I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. Top back can give you a smaller overall package to deal with. Both my former Katana and the Special are 1x12 amps and I had an easier time stashing the Katana. I've had to order a custom cover for this one so it can be safely stored.

Also, there's an ergonomic consideration. Top mount controls can be a "bend at the waist" operation while this sucker is gonna require a squat unless I put it on something - which I won't because I'm stubborn.

It certainly looks cooler though, that's been a common response amongst my buds.

Congrats. Nice thread title too.
:cheers: Thanks.

syco

Reaction score
I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. Top back can give you a smaller overall package to deal with. Both my former Katana and the Special are 1x12 amps and I had an easier time stashing the Katana. I've had to order a custom cover for this one so it can be safely stored.

Also, there's an ergonomic consideration. Top mount controls can be a "bend at the waist" operation while this sucker is gonna require a squat unless I put it on something - which I won't because I'm stubborn.

It certainly looks cooler though, that's been a common response amongst my buds.

:cheers: Thanks.
I'm in the bifocal (glasses) stage of life , so I have to stand above and look straight down at the amps with knobs on the top/back .... otherwise they are so magnified/fuzzy looking through my bifocals . I do agree it cuts down on size /weight , but can be a pain if you have a angled amp stand .

Raiyn

Reaction score
I'm in the bifocal (glasses) stage of life ,
I've had progressive lenses for a couple years now...

so I have to stand above and look straight down at the amps with knobs on the top/back ....
As you do.

otherwise they are so magnified/fuzzy looking through my bifocals
I've got a "middle" section on mine.

but can be a pain if you have a angled amp stand .
I don't have one of those, so it's a squat, or bend / twist operation to get to the front facing knobs. I know that at least one of the ToneMaster amps has chrome legs that serve that function - which would be good since they're attached - but I didn't buy a Fender.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I'm going to have to rearrange my room setup significantly as this Boss beast won't fit in the box I stashed the Katana in to keep it out of furball range.
By "box" I meant a window seat with a storage area. Worked great, but unfortunately the new toy is too big.

The new spot is out of the way, and not the first place the cats are going to want to jump but left it exposed to fur and dust. I needed a cover - preferably padded.

Thus, I had one made.
20220502_170335.jpg
I found a seller on Etsy called ProtectemCovers.
20220502_170443.jpg
They have a separate item for pockets, which is nice for cords etc.
20220502_170415.jpg
The real standout for me was that at the last minute I decided I wanted a handle flap with Velcro on three sides to further keep detritus out of my new amp.
20220502_170422.jpg
Saundra was very accommodating and had me order a second "pocket". I'm super happy with the results.

I placed my order on April 22 and it was delivered on May 2nd. Not bad having to be made then delivered all the way across the country Any wrinkles you see are fresh from the package and have / will work themselves out. It's not a road case, but it'll serve my needs.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
Found your thread Raiyn. For some reason it wasn’t showing up on my iPhone. I think that you are correct in that the Special benefits from the knowledge they got out of the Artist series which I have.

Mainly being that they put a crap speaker in The Artist and the patches are way overly bright. Both were overcome though through a new speaker and some time on the computer for me.

I can attest to the fact that the tube emulation engines are quite good and record very well in my Artist.

Did you get the foot pedal for the amp as well? I did and I don’t really regret it but it is fairly useless. It does not change patches and you have to hook a separate switcher in to change the delay/tremolo time.

I parked The Artist in the studio anyway and I have the amp hardwired into the computer so I can change what I want by pulling up the program.
The JC-120 goes out to gig.

Keep us posted! I am excited to hear what you think. I rather wish I had bought one but I created something unique to me out of the ashes of The Artist’s problems.

Pat

Raiyn

Reaction score
Mainly being that they put a crap speaker in The Artist and the patches are way overly bright. Both were overcome though through a new speaker and some time on the computer for me.
We're going to need an upgrade on the PC front before I can get into the software. So far, I like the "Blue Bell" Waza Craft speaker.
Did you get the foot pedal for the amp as well? I did and I don’t really regret it but it is fairly useless. It does not change patches and you have to hook a separate switcher in to change the delay/tremolo time.
I didn't, but I've got a whole pile of effects pedals. I wasn't using the on-board stuff on the Katana, so while I might screw with the ones on the Special at some point - they weren't the attraction.
I can attest to the fact that the tube emulation engines are quite good and record very well in my Artist.
Nobody wants me recording. :laugh2: I'm still playing with the voicing and output flavors, but I'm digging it.
The JC-120 goes out to gig.
Speaking of heavy amps.... Lawd this thing is a chunk. Definitely a solid built amp but holy crap!

Space1999

Reaction score
We're going to need an upgrade on the PC front before I can get into the software. So far, I like the "Blue Bell" Waza Craft speaker.

I didn't, but I've got a whole pile of effects pedals. I wasn't using the on-board stuff on the Katana, so while I might screw with the ones on the Special at some point - they weren't the attraction.

Nobody wants me recording. :laugh2: I'm still playing with the voicing and output flavors, but I'm digging it.

Speaking of heavy amps.... Lawd this thing is a chunk. Definitely a solid built amp but holy crap!
I hear you man. The Artist weighs in at 10 pounds under the JC-120. I added an extra 5 pounds to it with the Celestion I put in it though.
With the JC-120 I can at least pop an end up into the van and work it in easily with the casters.

Moving the Artist is just a straight dead lift. I don’t have the back for that!
Thinking about what you were saying about the Special, an amp stand might save you some bending.

The only trouble I ran into is you have to get a stand that doesn’t block the back inputs and outputs.

For me that was a Gator amp stand. Thought I would share that with you and save you some headaches if you go in that direction. :)

Pat

Space1999

Reaction score
Just upgraded the Artist to the new 3.0 firmware and editor.

It provided a self biasing option instead of fixed which I thought was interesting. As well now you have the ability to punch up an EQ’d solo button on the pedal board.

I am just glad that they are committed to upgrading software. Something I feared they were not going to do.

Still think they should have put the blue Waza Craft speaker in all the models.

Pat

Latest posts