My Epiphone Les Paul Standard aka The Dumpster Fire

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by JHurt1968, Feb 24, 2021.

1. JHurt1968

JHurt1968 Member

0B3002C7-E4FF-499F-851B-BCAA4D34A748.jpeg 237781B5-7F54-4EF4-AA96-D8A9EF838303.jpeg I bought this LP at a thrift shop called Saver’s about 7-8 years ago. I was dropping off a few things and while I was waiting I spotted her leaning against a wall in their storeroom. The neck was cracked along the edge of the fretboard and up towards the headstock. The only thing missing were the pickups and pots. 1/2 an hour earlier it was dropped off a shelf which caused the break. After speaking with the manager about it she let me have it for $75. Initially I was going to turn her into a decorative piece.

When I got home the CFO rolled her eyes when she saw it. When she saw it was broken she rolled her eyes again. I took a closer look at the neck and saw it was a very clean break so I decided to try and fix it. I bought some wood glue and borrowed a few clamps from my neighbor. I glued and clamped the neck then forgot about her for a month.

When I finally took the clamps off the neck it looked pretty good but I had to sand the back to smooth it out. Once that was done I went ahead and strung her up just to see how the neck held up under tension. So I strung her up and forgot about it for 2-3 months. When I saw that the neck was holding up under tension I decided to get her up and running.

The hardware was all gold so I sanded it all off. It came out really well, looks more like worn nickel. I had a set of DiMarzio PAF’s and a friend of mine gave me a really high quality wiring harness. After it was up and running I showed the CFO and she was impressed I actually fixed it. “I can’t believe you were able to fix that dumpster fire of a guitar.” I played her for 1/2 an hour then set her aside. The DF was a loaner guitar since then and I rarely played her.

Last night I picked her up for the first time in at least a year. After a few minutes I was really blown away with the sound and feel. She’s not as heavy as a Gibson LP and is very resonant. I played for a couple of hours because I I need to smooth out the the back of the neck a little more and change strings because the set on her are the same ones I installed 7-8 years ago. As far as I’m concerned this one’s a keeper. Now I know why I lent her out a lot.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Yeah.....those CFOs can be tough to please some days. :D

Nice work. :thumb:

3. Antigua

Antigua Active Member

That is a really clean break. I don't really understand how that could happen, the fibers breaking perfectly straight across like that.

Are you interested in repairing the paint job on the back of the neck, or do you like it as is?

4. JHurt1968

JHurt1968 Member

Some of the sanding smoothed out the cracks nicely. I’m just leaving the neck as-is because it feels really good. The tuners could use some oil, a couple of them are a little tough to turn.

5. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers Active Member

Restoring an Epiphone that abused is a joy to a craftsman and a player...

6. dasherf17

dasherf17 Active Member

JH, I would have nailed that puppy, too...eeeev'ry now and then you find something guitar-ish in those shops...chips , dings and the occasional missing piece(s?) make it an easy purchase.
    Nice!
    (Savers? You must live up in my neck of the woods...Minneapolis?)