"Nam Nostalgia!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]These are Australian army boots from the Vietnam War era and issued to me there. I apologise for the crappy phone photo.

I thought I'd misplaced these until we were doing some clearing out this week. These were boots issued to me about a week before I came home from Vietnam. (I always made a point of keeping in good with the quartermaster and the cook!)

I wore them about 2 weeks in total before being discharged as my enlistment had finished. Soles are crisp and sharp still and they even smell new. I doubt they have been cleaned since then either. I can see traces of red dust on the soles even now.

That was September 1968 which means that later this year I will have had them for 49 years!

What is so special about these boots apart from the nostalgia, well quality for one! You seldom see stuff this well made these days. Secondly they had a S/S plate covering the sole to protect from Viet Cong booby traps! The "Noggies used to dig holes where they thought we would walk and line them with sharpended bamboo stakes, additionally they's dip the stakes in human faeces to ensure infection. In some cases this caused medivac to a base hospital for recovery. A cheap weapon hey?

Because of the uniqueness of these boots they were in high demand in country and I could have had the choice of a range of handguns for a pair of these!

Now I intend to wear them when out stalking rabbits around the property as recently I almost stood on a large Red Bellied Black Snake whilst my attention was around me looking for well camouflaged bunnies. it was close and he was a big snake who would not have been happy if I'd trodden on him!
    They are not normally aggressive but I reckon if I'd been wearing these boots they would have protected me!

Gael has bet me $100 that they won't fit so I will sneak a try before I accept the bet!!! It's alright I wouldn't take her money anyway~

So that's the story of my "mint" "Boots GP, Troops for the use of"

NoBucks likes this.
  2. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

I was expecting old NAMM articles... :facepalm:

Great story tho :thumb:

Digger likes this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Glad you made it out in one piece.

Digger likes this.
  4. NoBucks

NoBucks Well-Known Member

Great story, and nice boots! It's funny how one develops an attachment to footwear. I still have most of my pairs of boots from the U.S. Army. When I would wear out a pair, I'd replace them and put the worn out pair in a duffel bag with the other worn out boots and uniforms. :dunno:

None have the experience on them that yours have though. :thumb:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Digger likes this.
  5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Thank you.

NoBucks likes this.
  6. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Lots of problems as a result but yep I got home with all my bits still attached so luckier than a lot thanks.

NoBucks likes this.
  7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

These boots were issued 2 weeks before I came home so not much experience on them, just a nice ride back home, almost new!

Feel new and smell new still.

These were the only ones I had apart from shoes that went with my polyester uniform, boots were worn with battle dress and greens.

Thanks for your kind comments.

NoBucks likes this.