Need some help with Crate RFX 30

Sunflake

Reaction score
No matter what I change on it my guitar just sounds normal. Not like a rock sound at all. I love country music but that what it sounds like.

Sunflake

Reaction score
To be honest I’m new at everything! LOL
When it comes to amps and guitars I’m a KTI, Knob Turning Idiot

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Hey there, you need to press the Solo button, then turn the gain knob to as much distortion as you want. That would give you RAWK. If you don't press the solo button, no matter what you do you're still going to sound clean.

RFX30.jpg

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Yeh, learn how to use the amp. It’s strange sometimes when you’re a noob, and are confronted with buttons. Does it have a foot switch?
talk about it.. like imagine if someone new bought an orange amp.... there's cryptic and using brand specific lingo (as with most amps)... and then there's just symbols :facepalm:

3bolt79

Reaction score
talk about it.. like imagine if someone new bought an orange amp.... there's cryptic and using brand specific lingo (as with most amps)... and then there's just symbols :facepalm:
My first amp was a Peavey decade. It took my 6 months before I realized how to overdrive it without a box. And that was as simple as it gets.

Sunflake

Reaction score
Hey there, you need to press the Solo button, then turn the gain knob to as much distortion as you want. That would give you RAWK. If you don't press the solo button, no matter what you do you're still going to sound clean.

View attachment 18785
Thanks!!! It sucks being so new to this. Being a kid in the ‘70 Ace was my favorite! Wonder how many kids at the time learned guitar because of him?

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
What about shape dial? Or the RFX dial. Not sure what most of those mean.
The shape dial controls how much midrange there is. So what happens say you turn your gain to around 2-3 o'clock, plenty of distortion.

Now you dial in the shape according to the type of sound you want - on one spectrum, it will cut all your mids and sound very "scooped" - think of the sound from "And Justice for All". On the other spectrum, it'd be very mid heavy (i.e. think of say Steve Vai's sound). I'm only talking roughly the direction/ flavor and not so much the actual sound being identical. On these types of amps, I find that they're usually most usable near the middle (somewhere between 10 and 2 o'clock).

By RFX, i assume you mean the DSP dial - that lets you select one effect. Choose the one you want, and adjust the level to how much you want that effect. For example, if you want a chorus effect on top of your distortion sound (think Zakk Wylde during his Ozzy days) then you would dial in Chorus and adjust the level until you like the sound.

It's hard to describe the effects in words, but roughly speaking
Flanger - kind of like talking underwater with a warbly effect
Chorus - doubles up your sound but the doubled up version is slightly off so that you can actually tell there's more than one. Different versions of it will have tremolo and delay added on.
Rotary - think of a doppler effect (imagine instead of sirens, it's your guitar being played through a spinning speaker/ siren)
Octave - doubles your sound but the doubled sound is one octave lower
T-Wah - it's like auto wah wah pedal. imagine if an invisible hand was turning your tone knob on your guitar on and off constantly
I- Wah - same thign, but in reverse
Doubler - Similar to chorus, but all it does is add a dry second signal that's out of sync.
Reverb - makes it sound like you're in a room or hall where there's a bit of echo.

Are orange practice amps any good? Gotta be better than my Crate

It depends on how much you spend. The orange crush is pretty much the same as your Crate (and the entry level ones don't have effects like your Crate). Your crate is perfectly fine as a practice amp.

Sunflake

Reaction score
The shape dial controls how much midrange there is. So what happens say you turn your gain to around 2-3 o'clock, plenty of distortion.

Now you dial in the shape according to the type of sound you want - on one spectrum, it will cut all your mids and sound very "scooped" - think of the sound from "And Justice for All". On the other spectrum, it'd be very mid heavy (i.e. think of say Steve Vai's sound). I'm only talking roughly the direction/ flavor and not so much the actual sound being identical. On these types of amps, I find that they're usually most usable near the middle (somewhere between 10 and 2 o'clock).

By RFX, i assume you mean the DSP dial - that lets you select one effect. Choose the one you want, and adjust the level to how much you want that effect. For example, if you want a chorus effect on top of your distortion sound (think Zakk Wylde during his Ozzy days) then you would dial in Chorus and adjust the level until you like the sound.

It's hard to describe the effects in words, but roughly speaking
Flanger - kind of like talking underwater with a warbly effect
Chorus - doubles up your sound but the doubled up version is slightly off so that you can actually tell there's more than one. Different versions of it will have tremolo and delay added on.
Rotary - think of a doppler effect (imagine instead of sirens, it's your guitar being played through a spinning speaker/ siren)
Octave - doubles your sound but the doubled sound is one octave lower
T-Wah - it's like auto wah wah pedal. imagine if an invisible hand was turning your tone knob on your guitar on and off constantly
I- Wah - same thign, but in reverse
Doubler - Similar to chorus, but all it does is add a dry second signal that's out of sync.
Reverb - makes it sound like you're in a room or hall where there's a bit of echo.

It depends on how much you spend. The orange crush is pretty much the same as your Crate (and the entry level ones don't have effects like your Crate). Your crate is perfectly fine as a practice amp.
Thanks! That helps a lot

Latest posts