New to Electric Guitars, debating amps

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Suz, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Suz

Suz New Member

Hey Folks:
    I'm new to the forum, Epiphone AND electric guitars in general. My ex bought me a Peavey Raptor 1 as a starter guitar 20 some years ago. It became a towel rack sitting on a stand, largely b/c it was POS that was uncomfortable play. Nut width was too big for my small hands which resemble that of an 8-year old, even in my 50s (seriously!!). The frets were also rough (not filed down or rounded). Anyhoo, I decided in my free time, I'd like to give it a go again. So I've recently traded in the Peavey and put an Epiphone Sheraton on layaway. I've affectionately pre-named her Scarlet. I can't wait for her to finally be mine.

So, here's the gear I've got: Guitar (assumed), cloths, soft case, stand, picks, straps, Ernie Ball cable, a new set of strings (as I never go with anything factory!!) and lemon oil for the neck/fretboard.

What I'm missing is an amp. I'm leaning towards the Vox Mini5 Modeling amp. But I'm curious about this new Spark+App. I've only heard metal riffs played on it. Does anyone know anything about it? Good for blues/fusion jazz? Yes, no, maybe? Just wondering if I should save up a little more and buy IT, or just go for the Vox Mini5 which I can afford and like the sound. Thoughts? Any experience with the Spark? Thanks, in advance, folks!!

Davis Sharp likes this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Welcome. We're glad you found your way back to the guitar.

I'm not familiar with the Vox mini5, other than it's battery powered and has built-in beats. Is portability very important?

Sheratons are gorgeous guitars. We'd like to see pics of it when it's yours.

Suz likes this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I suggest the same amp to everyone: Boss Katana.
    Even the 50W can cover you from bedroom noodling to small stage. Bigger if you mic it.

davidchagrin and Suz like this.
  4. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

I've had the DA5 for years, it is the previous model without the rhythm section
    it's fine for practise, though you'll always hear the tiny 6,5" speaker

vox_da5.jpg

Suz likes this.
  5. Sneaks

Sneaks New Member

My vote is for one of the Yamaha THR's not the version II's that just came out, but the original beige THR10,blue THR10 and green THR10X. Some pretty good deals on those now that the new ones have been released.

6. Steven Howes

Steven Howes Active Member

I'd also vote for the Katana. It will sound great due to the larger speakers and modelers usually sound great through headphones too. Plus you get all the pedals to play with. Hard to go wrong with one, especially at that price point.

I just saw scarlett in your other post. Damn Nice. you just can't can't beat a 335 styled guitar(IMHO).

Suz likes this.
  7. Suz

Suz New Member

So I've decided to go with the Vox Mini5. Katana, since so many of you recommend it, I'll save for when I"m not too embarrassed to play in public!!

Paruwi likes this.