NGD 2020 Fender American Professional Jaguar.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Jeffytune, May 3, 2021.

1. Jeffytune

Jeffytune Well-Known Member

Okay, so it took me a year and a half to post this up, I got a little bizzy and well, you know how it can go.

So I was getting board with my strats (I know, heresy...) but I was wanting something a bit different. I have owned Jazzmasters before, I find they feel too long and stretched out, that and the pick up hum way too much. But I did like the feel of how they would hang on you, very comfortable.
    I had a Peavey Wolfgang, it too is a offset guitar, and more compact. It was a fun guitar but the necks were just too narrow for my fat hands.
    So I was looking on the Fender site and saw the 1962 Jaguar. I had a Fender Mustang back in High school, it too is a 24" scale. I called around and found a 1962 in surf green at a GC here in town. I went over and played it, nope, too buzzy and I did not care for the neck.
    I was talking with the sales guy and he told me of the American Professional model. He showed me on the computer, and we agreed to order a three color burst one in.
    3 weeks go by, and no guitar. The store manager got on it, and called to inform me that when we ordered it, another store had beat us to it, and there was only one in the warehouse.
    He said there were a couple options we could go with, we could order one strait from Fender, but they were out of stock and was projecting 3 months. Or we could order one of the few they still had at the warehouse. A grey one with maple board, a white one with black pickguard and rosewood or a candy apple red one with rosewood. If i went with one of the instocks, there would be a discount for the inconvenient, so I got a Candy apple red one.

I know, Jeff get to the damn point already.

81752604_10157596665931327_1148007147192188928_o.jpg

This has a wide Fender neck with a 9.5 radius, 22 6105 frets fender staggered tuners and real bone nut and the V-mod pickups. The switching system is simplified using a 4 way selector to give Bridge, in series, neck and in parallel. No rhythm circuit, just a phase switch for the series/parallel to cut the bass response. The volume and top pots are 1 meg and have a treble bled system for key the tone pure are you roll of the volume.
    The only mods I have done is to replace the mint green [pickguard with a aged pearloid one and The switch knob. It had a recess on the tip that just seemed like it needed something is it. I use a 9mm shell case and a Fender heavy pearloid pick to punch out a disc, and I glued it in place. I think it looks good.
    Playing this guitar, you have 6 tones available with the switching, but really, I have found this guitar with the Treble bleed system, it real wants you to turn up the volume on the amp to were the amp is happy, the milk the volume & tone on the guitar to the tone you want.....there are dozens of setting that can give you wonderful unique tones, the interaction can be addicting.
    This guitar is (IMHO) made to be fiddled with, not just put on 10 and played.
    It should be noted I am using a tube amp, I do not know if it would react the same way with a solid state amp or not, I can only relate the experience I have found with this guitar.

If I could give you an opinion, I believe this was the original intent of the Jazzmaster/Jaguars. Leo was making a top of the line guitar with thing players said they wanted to cover more territory and break into the Jazz market. Jazz players were not interested and so this top of the line guitar (And they were the most expensive guitars Fender made) it just was ahead of it's time.

If you get a chance to play one of these Jaguars, be sure to play with the tone and volume and you will see what I mean.

Thanks for reading (And I hope your still awake...;))

Attached Files:

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Congrats. It's a lovely color. You chose wisely. But we're knocking you down a grade for tardiness. :)

3. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

I have been looking for a twenty four inch scale instrument and I have owned Danelectro's in the past and I'm not knocking them but they are not Fenders and the new Harmony 24" scale instruments look like toys to me (small bodies) and seem a little overpriced. I 've decided to get a Fender Jaguar I just can't seem to find the right instrument at the right price so my search continues. Yours looks really nice btw.

Jeffytune likes this.
  4. Jeffytune

Jeffytune Well-Known Member

Hey Woody,
    Thank you for the kind words.
    It's hard to find Jaguar, store don't like to stock them, and frankly If you have one or two, you hang on to them.
    Ultimately I had to order mine in, even big box stores shy away from them because well, they are not a fast mover, well at least the higher end ones are.
    Your best bet is to watch Reverb or Guitar center.