NGD : Epiphone Les Paul JR ‘57 Reissue

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by godspeed, Jun 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. godspeed

godspeed New Member

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here! A little bit of an overview - I’m a bass player who started playing guitar at 12. Played mostly post-punk in my youth days, did some recordings and couple of tours. When I was 17 I was invited to play bass for a band (where I met my future wife), so I picked it up and it’s been my main instrument for the last 15 years. Played in numerous bands, did numerous recordings, tour, etc. After we got kids, I switched to only playing occasionally in church as well as some shows with a local singer-songwriter. Lately, due to COVID, I haven’t played much bass at all. So I finally decided that I have to buy an electric guitar and it has to be a Junior! Well, I’ve been trying to find one for years actually, but an Epi JR with a set neck and a P90 is a rare bird! I bought a few Epi Specials last year - first, single H model that I wanted to convert to P90, but the fretwork on it was horrendous and it felt rather cheap. Second, I ordered a TV Yellow with with 2 P90s from Musicians Friend - I live 15 mins from US border (I’m in Canada), went to pick it and and it had a horrible paint job - it was so thin you could see mismatched wood pieces and it looked like a mix of grey and yellow, so I sent it back. Instead of trying my luck with another special I went on a quest to find a proper Jr. I’ve only seen one pop up during last year locally (I live in one of the biggest cities in Canada) but I was too late. Well, last week I opened a Facebook Marketplace and saw it - a TV Yellow ‘57 RI! It was posted only an hour before I sent message and the seller said they already got some people interested but first come! So I picked it up right away! It literally had the stock strings on it and was barely played but rather dirty. I cleaned it up, polished frets, swapped Grovers for some vintage-style tuners from Amazon, swapped P100 with a proper P90 (from Amazon as well, Kaiser brand, based on reviews it’s the real deal), our a fresh set of strings did a setup and plugged it in... Ah, the sweet sounds of P90... I’ve been dreaming about this one since I was 12 and saw Green Day’s “Waiting” music video! I owned multiple starts and Les Pauls before, but never had a guitar with P90. I realized that this is the sound I chased all my life! The pickup sounds absolutely insane for the $20 CAD I payed for it, neck plays like butter (it’s neither too slim nor too chunky, right in the middle), and fretwork is on point except for 2 frets on the high E string, edges are very smooth and feel like they’ve been rolled. I could not be happier with a finished project which cost me about $250 USD with all the upgrades! This one is here to stay!

2. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

This is wild ! We've had a pretty similar paths.
    Welcome to the Epitalk crowd.

Stated playing at 14 a couple years later I switched to bass. Played some gigs with my band, did a bit of studio work. Married the drummer's girl (still together after 45 years. 12 years ago I came back to 6 strings after a 25 year break with no guitar.

I live 15 minutes from the border and just got my '57 RE six months ago. Mine came from Calgary. I put a $50 Lollar in and it bites. But unlike you, I have 2 Epi LP Special that I also love.

http://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/n-jr-d.4669/

Paruwi and godspeed like this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Welcome to Epi-Talk @godspeed. Good looking LPJ.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Stop torturing me with these. Now that Epi finally built one like they should have to begin with I want one. Congrats on Jr, there godspeed. :thumb:

godspeed likes this.
  5. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Will do ... later :rofl:

2020-02-05.jpg

P90.jpg

B&W.jpg

nemesis0710 and soulman969 like this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

That's it!!!! That's the one!!!! I must restrain for a while longer still.

Then......like Mike Meyers/Wayne Campbell, one day it shall be mine.

7. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

godspeed likes this.