NGD in Suffolk, UK

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BarnsleyBoy, Apr 1, 2021.

1. BarnsleyBoy

BarnsleyBoy New Member

Hi Everyone.

Hope you are all doing well. Joined the Epiphone club yesterday with the arrival of the fantastic LP Standard 60's in Bourbon Burst. Needs a bit of tweaking to get it to play the way I want it, but wow - what a guitar! Looking forward to posting and contributing where I can.

Have a great day!

Paul.

2. grinwer

grinwer Active Member

Great choice, beautiful color. Photo? How do you like the neck?

3. BarnsleyBoy

BarnsleyBoy New Member

I'll get some pics posted later. The neck is a bit chunkier than I expected. I bought my son one of the LP Standard Plustop Pros in Trans Blue a couple of years ago, and I expected the neck to be similar, but it seems to be a tad on the thicker side. Although it still feels great. I can't believe how much Epiphone have upped their game. Much as I would love to buy the Gibson version I just can't justify the extra cash when these are so good. The law of diminishing returns just doesn't make it worth spending the extra. It really does feel like a quality instrument.

Here's a thought for you, For the price of the Gibbo I could buy the 50's, 60's, LP Special and a 335 from the Epiphone range and still have money left for a bag of chips on the way home!

soulman969 and grinwer like this.
  4. BarnsleyBoy

BarnsleyBoy New Member

At last got round to taking some photos! They don't do it justice as the grain and flame pattern changes
    when viewed from different angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a few sharp edges on the pickguard so I took it off to do a bit of gentle sanding with some 400 grit, which has now left me with the pickguard on/ pickguard off dilemma!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another thing I noticed was how far off the body the knobs were. I've corrected it with some washers to reduce the length of the pot shaft that pokes through the holes from the control cavity. Comparing it to my 50's LP Tribute (Gibson) the pots on the Epi should really have been long shaft pots . Although they are CTS, I'm guessing that all pots aren't born equal. I don't know if it's also down to the thumb bleeders too. Anyone else noticed the excessive height?

Paruwi, grinwer and Davis Sharp like this.
  5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Welcome to Epi-Talk. Congrats on the new LP. And pickguard off.

6. grinwer

grinwer Active Member

Beautiful. I don't like pickguard.

7. Steven Westberg

Steven Westberg Active Member

Welcome! Nice axe!

8. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Niiice ! I too hate pickguard on a Les Paul. Throw it away fast :rofl:

Are the knobs push-pull for splitting coils ?

9. BarnsleyBoy

BarnsleyBoy New Member

No. It's the 60s model, so no bells and whistles and twiddly bits. Just a full fat Les Paul!

10. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Then there's probably a secondary nut on the pot shaft. It could be adjusted from within the control cavity to make the top portion of the shaft shorter.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Yup. We all have a decision to make. Would we prefer just one Gibson or a variety of Epiphones for the same out of pocket cash? I'm on your side of that debate.

Beautiful finish on the LP. One of my favorite as well.

12. BarnsleyBoy

BarnsleyBoy New Member

No nuts inside the control cavity - it was the first thing I checked! Luckily I had some from the old PCB mounted pots that I ripped out of the LP Tribute, so I used them. It really does need long shaft pots to do a proper job, the shorter ones don't have a long enough thread on them. I'll post some pics to show what I mean.

13. BarnsleyBoy

BarnsleyBoy New Member

I've already got my eye on the 1959 LP Outfit, but best wait a little while ..... the wife will kill me!

soulman969 likes this.