No JoBo?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Supersonic, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

No one posted today about yet another Bonamassa sig LP that came out. I felt it my duty as a member of EpiTalk to bring it up. I'm sure everyone saw this already but I got in late.

Anyway, this new 'Lazarus 1959' LP actually looks pretty sweet.

Better specs (one piece neck, long neck tenon, Switchcraft toggle and jack, Gibson Burstbuckers) than the new Slash models by far and it's cheaper too.

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPIYEK984/Joe-Bonamassa-Lazarus-1959-Les-Paul-Standard/Lazarus

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...959-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar-lazarus

And the promo vid

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  2. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

I'm not a fan-boy of Joe Bonermaster
    :jb:

though I think he's got lots of them
    and it sure is a 'good speced' €pi
    :thumb:

darth_tar, Imerkat, Raiyn and 3 others like this.
  3. joseph07081

joseph07081 Member

I was surprised yesterday to see some places have them in stock. I ordered one from Musicians Friend, it is due today. I was considering a '59 but I liked the look of the top on this better.

4. dlsmusic

dlsmusic New Member

I'm surprised this forum isn't all over this model. I already have a Les Paul style guitar so I can't justify buying another but if I were in the market for one, I'd give this one a serious look. The backstory is interesting and this resulting guitar is really gorgeous. I appreciate that he releases his signature models as affordable Epiphones rather than releasing $12,000 Gibsons.

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

I was going to say something, but Epi puts puts out a JoBo sig every few months that it's not really news. Is he up to double digits sigs yet?

6. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Yup. It's like why is this one anymore exciting than the last.

It's like Joe has become the Earl Slick of Epiphone.

Davis Sharp and Raiyn like this.
  7. Darkness

Darkness Well-Known Member

I like it. If that was around when I was shopping I would have grabbed it. Seems very similar to the 2020 59 but with a much nicer top finish. For the extra $50 thats not a bad deal. Over the Slash thats a very good deal. Only thing I don't like is the case, I would sell it or paint it or something, maybe stickerbomb the hell out of it.

I don't really care about Joe or how many guitars he has his name on.

8. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

Beautiful looking guitar. It’s in that color range that I really dig on LPs.

I don’t buy guitar’s with an artist’s name on the guitar, so it was cool to see that the guitar didn’t have Joe’s sig (nothing against him)

And aside from another LP with mahogany body neck and maple cap LP it has the Gib burst buckers

Pat

Johnathon Jones likes this.
  9. Noodling Guitars

Noodling Guitars Member

Waiting for mine to arrive... but that could be anywhere from next week to early next year...

Darkness likes this.
  10. joseph07081

joseph07081 Member

Mine just arrived minutes before my wife got home from work, so I have to wait a bit before unpacking it.

Davis Sharp, Paruwi and Darkness like this.
  11. Darkness

Take it into the restroom and lock the door! Or do what I do, "honey, I'll be in the garage".

We must see!

[​IMG]

Davis Sharp, joseph07081 and Paruwi like this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Nah dude. The guy pumps em out like Honda pumps Accords.
    I think he's either there or real close. He also has the occasional Fender sig, so combined he's almost certainly there.
    Honestly? It really isnt.

The veneer is pretty, I'll say that.

Burstbuckers?
    That's been done. Nice, but done.

CTS pots?
    Standard issue and have been for a couple years now. One of my favorite upgrades they've done across the entire Epi lineup.

Mallory caps.... Whoo.... :rolleyes:
    The only thing there is that the price for the Mallory 150's I used to buy cheap goes up again. Thankfully, they're not as overhyped as the Orange Drops, yet. I also noticed they're leaning on the brand name and not mentioning spec or tolerance.

Graphtech nut?
    Standard issue for Epi's for a couple years. Another item I'm happy they've included across the board.

Switchcraft jack and switch?
    Ok cool, I guess. A switch upgrade is a pretty common "day 2" mod for budget axes. It's an easy and cheap swap even for a home gamer. Not always necessary, the standard Epi switch is serviceable, but it lacks the spec sheet panache. The jack is arguably nicer than a standard Epi. If it were me, I'd skip the Switchcraft jack and go with a Pure Tone.

But you get a case, you say?
    Yeah, one that points you out as a giant JoBobo mark... with a giant JoBobo mark.

Compared to the Black Beauty with the Orange binding (which I seriously looked at even though I'm not an LP guy) this one feels a bit lazy. It'd be one to consider if you're seriously looking at a '59 LP model for sure, but this doesn't bring the hotdish to the table for me on its own.

Despite everything I said above, I'll at least give JoBobo Mr. Bonamassa credit for that.

IGRocker, Imerkat and Davis Sharp like this.
  13. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

we all know .....

notaguitar.jpg

IGRocker, rjwilson37, Nduro and 4 others like this.
  14. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

I don't listen to :jb: music and to be honest he kinda comes off like a jerk sometimes. But like him or not, most of his sig Epi's have been pretty sweet lately. At least to me. I think the Firebird, Amos, ES-355, Black Beauty, and this one are all really cool guitars (not the 'Norm Burst').

Yeah the case looks goofy but I doubt it would be that hard to sell or trade for a different one.

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I think I agree for the most part. IMHO that Black Beauty is the best of the bunch.

16. joseph07081

joseph07081 Member

I am heading down to the gameroom in a few minutes, I want to get some good pics of it to post so I will probably wait until tomorrow and get it out in some good light.

BGood and Darkness like this.
  17. Darkness

Wait what is that icon? I thought it was the terminator with a guitar

18. joseph07081

joseph07081 Member

JB59-1.jpg

Just a quick cell phone picture, I will work on a proper set of pictures tomorrow.

It looks great, aside from needing a bit of a setup, no real issues that I can see.
    I ordered from Musicians Friend, it came from a Guitar Center in Cleveland.
    It does not look like it was on the sales floor, if it was, they did an excellent job cleaning it up. All of the protective plastics were still on and no finger prints that I could see.
    I did a quick tune and played it through my desktop amp and it sounds great to my inexperienced ears, so I am happy.

19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well, you type it out as (colon)jb(colon) so idk?

This kind of colon :

20. Darkness

You type those? I just click on them. If that's Joe Bonanno then maybe he really is a big deal with epi

Attached Files: