NPBD Grape Ape V.2

Raiyn

Reaction score
I really started getting into building pedals during the pandemic, and acquired a few others over the last few years. I figured that eventually I'd get around to revamping my board.

Grape Ape V.1

Well a couple things happened and I made my move. I bought a Boss Nextone Special that has an effects loop, and Fender had a big time sale on their Engine Room power supplies.

20220825_181934.jpg
That's a Fender Engine Room Lvl 8 stacked on top of an Engine Room Lvl 12.

20220825_181549.jpg
Naturally, Fender never intended for their supplies to be stacked, rather they provided for a side by side daisy chain scenario. That said, I had to make my own cables to make things fit in my application.

20220825_181856.jpg
The stubby main power line is perfect for plugging into the existing power input. This is a far neater setup than what originally powered my pedals.

20200822_182732.jpg
Ugly, yes. It worked though, and with no added noise. Most power supplies brag about "isolated transformers" - well it doesn't get much more isolated than individual wall warts. 😏 Suffice to say that even though it was a low amp draw situation, anyone I showed that mess to had the same visceral reaction - probably the same one you had. However, it worked.

20220918_163037.jpg
Yeah, I know one of the cords is unplugged.
20220918_162939.jpg
This is a much neater setup than the spaghetti I started with. I need to make custom length power cords for a few pedals so I can lose the heat shrink loops, but the audio cables for the patch bay are all custom.

Speaking of custom, I added a power pass through for my Austin Summer Reverb pedal as it can't be mounted to a board to function properly.
20220918_192748.jpg
I store the board on end.

20220813_173007.jpg
A couple drilled out flat "Les Paul" jack plates, a couple pedal jacks, a bit of wire and some solder.

Ok, I've dragged this out enough, I was girding my loins to tap out the rather lengthy chains.
20220918_163725 (1).jpg
Drive signal path:
Board input jack >> Korg Pitchblack tuner >> Morley Bad Horsie optical wah >> Outlaw Effects Wrangler Compressor >> BYOC Green Pony (Modded Maxon OD-820 clone) >> BYOC Large Beaver "Ram's" (Modded EHX Ram's Head Big Muff clone) >> EHX Big Muff Pi Op-Amp >> Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion >> Danelectro Billion Dollar Boost (Boss FA-1 clone) >> Joyo 6 band EQ >> Board output to front of amp.

Effects loop: Board loop input from amp loop >> Mooer 90 Orange Phaser >> Monoprice Flanger >> Danelectro Filthy Rich Tremolo >> BYOC Harmonic Tremolo (Their interpretation of the old highly desirable Fender amp tremolo circuit) >> BYOC Analog Chorus (Boss CE-2 clone) >> Outlaw Effects Vigilante Chorus >> BYOC Analog Delay (Boss DM-2 clone) >> DigiTech DL-8 Hardwire Digital Delay / Looper >> Mr. Black Mini Reverb >> Fox Pedals K-Buffer (clone of the Klon buffer circuit) >> Board loop output return >> *Optional* Austin Summer Reverb outboard spring reverb effect >> Amp Return

Just because I have one photo slot left in this post:
20220913_024043.jpg
I added some spring loaded Switchcraft dust covers on any jack likely to be unplugged while stored. The effects loop (pictured) and the drive side output got them and the board guitar input gets a rubber insert because I thought one of these caps on an inverted Strat jack plate would get snagged and look stupid.

Last edited:

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Excellent work. If I'm seeing correctly, the upper tier is hinged and swings open for access to the power supply. Sweet.

How do you like the Monoprice flanger? I've been thinking about adding that effect, but I don't want to spend a lot on something that I wouldn't use often. The MP might be out of stock, but I'm guess that there are many options on Amazon that differ only in the housing.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Very impressive! Building pedal boards is an art on its own.
A big part of the credit goes to @Dave J who was a big part of the construction of the board itself.

An effects loop was always part of the plan so the patch bay was a must have.
Excellent work. If I'm seeing correctly, the upper tier is hinged and swings open for access to the power supply. Sweet.
Yup. I was going to use actual hinges, but Dave suggested the system currently in use. A brass "dress" washer, a couple of IKEA screws, and a couple of clipped and drilled Delrin picks to slide on get the job done.

Pics from the original thread.
1527981358194-jpg.6955

1527981935948-jpg.6960

How it's stored.
1527998214155-jpg.6963

Add on lid stand for a bit of stability. Always good to have an outrigger when you have furballs running about.
1527998389594-jpg.6964

How do you like the Monoprice flanger? I've been thinking about adding that effect, but I don't want to spend a lot on something that I wouldn't use often. The MP might be out of stock, but I'm guess that there are many options on Amazon that differ only in the housing.
It's good, definitely does the "Barracuda" thing for me. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Monoprice products, but yes I'm sure Donner, Mooer, etc would have a decent option.

Allegedly, it's an EHX Electric Mistress clone. I haven't found much to support that, but I've heard it more than once.

Surprisingly, there aren't any available on Reverb. I found a current listing on eBay if you're interested. I'd act quickly though as it's based in Tallahassee.... and things might get interesting this week depending on Ian.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
Sweet! Love all the thought that went into this. :thumb:
The separate FX loop deck is really nice with lots of options

Are you using any of the Nextone’s channel switching or just using the clean channel as your “blank canvas”?

Pat

Raiyn

Reaction score
Are you using any of the Nextone’s channel switching or just using the clean channel as your “blank canvas”?
We just got our new laptop on Friday, so I bought & downloaded the Juca Nery bundle for the Nextone Special. I've installed the "'68 Deluxe Reverb" patches for now, but (as you can imagine) I've been a bit busy dealing with prep for the hurricane.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
We just got our new laptop on Friday, so I bought & downloaded the Juca Nery bundle for the Nextone Special. I've installed the "'68 Deluxe Reverb" patches for now, but (as you can imagine) I've been a bit busy dealing with prep for the hurricane.
Stay safe Raiyn! This looks to be a real ball buster of a hurricane!

It’s coming my way Saturday.

Pat

Raiyn

Reaction score
Stay safe Raiyn! This looks to be a real ball buster of a hurricane!

It’s coming my way Saturday.

Pat
Appreciated, we're not getting the brunt of this by any stretch of the imagination, but we prepped the house as best we could. I'll have more to say about the storm in the weather thread.

Unfortunately we couldn't take my toys up to the in-laws, but they'll be as fine as they're gonna be when we get back.

Latest posts