NPD: Keeley Compressor +

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Space1999, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

Lol short answer no . Interesting Bass discussion I've been thinking about purchasing one since I sold my Ernie Ball Stingray style "Sub" it was a nice bass parts made in Japan body and neck in the USA by Ernie Ball ( I mentally kick myself daily for ever letting it go.") Any advice for a decent bass under a grand?

soulman969 likes this.
  2. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

Everything you have said makes perfect sense to me. It takes a lot of power to move a 15” speaker and you are really losing the important mid range that gives definition to the bass note. That is why we all went for the Hartke 4x10 cabs in the 80’s. :D

I did a deep dive into how John Entwistle ran his bass setup from the late 70’s on. He basically took a 3 way P.A. system approach to his bass.

That really stuck with me. Of course that is an expensive way to go but it does shine light on just how much frequency range there is in a bass and how different the power requirements are for each frequency band.

Pat

soulman969 likes this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

The 4x10 cab I ran was a Hartke 4.5XL that was designed with an extended lower range for 5 strings basses. More recently I sold my 5 string and have gone back to all 4 string basses which for me work out much better based on what I play. If I need a "fiver" or a fretless for recording I always know where I can find one to use.

The bi-amped set up I once used was good in it's day but IMHO nowhere else in the gear universe has more been done to improve bass gear and downsize it so a bassist isn't getting a hernia from carting gear around. Interestingly enough I did get a hernia from lifting too much gear weight that required emergency surgery.

Glad those days are over. :D

Space1999 likes this.
  4. Space1999

Woody, based on my experience in the studio with basses that I have recorded the best bang for the buck is in a Mexican Fender bass, Jazz or Precision.

They sound great and play great too. :)

Pat

5. soulman969

Look at the G&L Tribute Series Basses or used US models. After more than 45 years of playing Fender Basses I've finally left them behind for the G&L models.

IMHO and IME they simply offer more for the money and are what Leo may well have done with his older designs had he not sold Fender. I believe the newer designs are his very best basses but G&L also offers the traditional PBass and JBass versions as well.

When Leo had a falling out with the other guys involved with Music Man he and George Fullerton created G&L and Leo went right on designing and building basses and guitars.

The L1000 and L2000 were his first two bass offerings. An active version of the L1000 with the pickup moved rearward toward the bridge similar to a StingRay was planned but never produced.

More recently G&L unearthed that idea and created the Kiloton as a passive version of Leo's original design. It places the MFD pickup in that same rearward "sweet spot", uses a single passive volume and tone control, and a 3 position switch for Series, Split-Coil, and Parallel pickup settings. I play one and love it.

kiloton1.jpg

If you prefer a dual pickup bass I would suggest the L2000. It is and has long been G&Ls most popular bass. It features twin MFD pickups, Leo's PTB (passive treble/bass) Tone Controls, Tri-Tone switching for; Pickup Selection, Series/Parallel settings, and a 3 position switch which activates the Preamp to boost the signal and/or add high end. I've owned the L2500 5 string version.

G&L1.jpg

Both basses use the same MFD pickups, Saddle Lock Bridge, and Swamp Ash bodies as their US built counterparts but sell for about half the price. New you're looking at $599 MSRP for the Kiloton and $749 MSRP for the L2000. If you can find them used they're an even better deal. Both are great playing basses.

And if you want a fully active version of the L2000 there is an M2000 model with an 18v active Preamp running Volume, Treble, Mids, and Bass with a Blend Switch that controls the neck/bridge pickup blend. I have that one now but the Tribute version is only available as a used model. It's run about $450 or so.

M20001.jpg

You can also find US built versions of all three in the $700-$1000 range.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Space1999 likes this.
  6. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

Thanks for the tip hopefully I will get to try before I buy for a change.

soulman969 and Space1999 like this.
  7. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

Thanks for the information I've long been a fan of Leo Fenders I saw him once in Fullerton at a guitar shop just down the street from G&L interesting bit of trivia the old Fender plant and the current G&L factory are located on Fender Street. I worked in a machine shop right next door, I tried to get work there for years sadly never happened.. I really like the red Kiloton model. A Fender or a G&L bass is not a bad choice. Hmmmm!

Space1999 and soulman969 like this.
  8. soulman969

The Kiloton is a very interesting bass. While somewhat similar to a StingRay as far as pickup placement the voicing sounds much different to me. The Kilo is very focused and mid forward with a tight bottom end. It'll cut through a brick wall.

You'd think that with just a single tone control it would be more limited tonally but it's not. That pickup has such a wide dynamic range even a different set of strings can give it a new voicing and if you want real aggressive play with a pick.

My PBass is a Squier Matt Freeman with old school LaBella Flats that's just a perfect Motown/Memphis Stax machine but out of all three basses I find myself playing the Kiloton more often than the others. It's parked next to me right now.

Space1999 likes this.
  9. Space1999

The G&L basses look killer! :drool:

I thought they were much more expensive. The pickups really remind me of Leo’s Music Man basses.

Thanks for the info!

Pat

soulman969 likes this.
  10. soulman969

Leo designed the Music Man pickups as well therefore their similarity. IMHO Leo doesn't get half enough credit for his work on pickup design. I've never owned a Music Man Bass so I can't comment on those but the MFD bass and guitar pickups on G&Ls are like nothing I've ever played before. Their dynamics are incredible.

The other areas where I believe G&L surpasses Fender are the Saddle Lock Bridge on the basses, the PTB Passive Tone Controls, and lastly G&Ls color options and finishing. They also tend to be less costly than comparable Fenders.

11. Space1999

The Music Man Stingray 5 string I played for 5 years was an amazing bass. The sound was unparalleled in the 80’s by almost anything else. I did want a Modulus when they first came out though.

I think the thing I admire about G&L is their pricing. Fender has really started to roll their pricing away from the average population for American made products.

G&L looks to have the same quality if not better than Fender for a much more affordable price. I thought they had gone under so I really appreciate you pointing them out to me.

Pat

soulman969 likes this.
  12. soulman969

:cheers: G&L is far from having gone under but they do seem to have kept a lower profile until more recently when larger dealers like Sweetwater and Andertons began to promote their US built Fullerton, Option Order, and CLF Research models in addition to their imported Tribute Series which are built to G&L specs by Cortek who also build a number of other top import lines.

On average G&L seems to be about 20% to 33% less than comparable Fender products and the ability to order one from a much broader list of specs and finishes allows a buyer to virtually create their own instrument without paying Custom Shop prices although G&L also offers that route as well. Dollar for dollar I've just found them to be a better product and I'm a lifelong Fender guy.

I played a Modulus M92-5 "Sweet Spot" Bass for several years then foolishly sold it in a weak moment. :facepalm: That's my "one that got away". :frown: It was a phenomenal bass. My Kiloton is somewhat similar but passive not 18v active. I hope some day I can locate another M92 just like the one I had.

image001.jpg

Space1999 likes this.
  13. Space1999

The fish that got away! :D

Don’t feel bad, I had a 1976 Les Paul Custom in Ebony that I let go for a song. :facepalm:

Better yet I had a 196x Pre CBS Jazzmaster in Sparkling Burgandy with matching headstock that I traded in back in the 80’s when Fenders were worth far less than pointy guitars.

I went back home one year and there it was behind glass at GC for $4,000. :shock:

I paid $400 for it.

Pat

soulman969 likes this.
  14. soulman969

LOL.....had one of those too but mine was a 1974 Deluxe I let go for a pittance compared to what it would sell for now. At least it went to a good friend and former band mate so I can soothe my pain with that.

And then there was a plethora of '60s gear I played while in HS and other stuff I bought from my band mates when we broke up. If I list it all I'll start crying all over again.....LOL. But back then who knew. It was just used gear.

Space1999 likes this.
  15. soulman969

Although I do believe Dave McClaren may be one of the goofiest and most useless persons around the entire joint nonetheless he is the son of John McClaren Sr to whom Leo Fender entrusted the G&L operation to when he passed away and he's also the Executive VP of BBE Sound. He also likes appearing in his own videos.

Thought you might be interested in a little bit of history on Leo's development of the single pickup basses that became the Music Man StingRay, the G&L L1000, and the G&L LB-100. So here's goofy Dave in one of his own videos regaling us with his knowledge of this history. Try not to laugh too hard. He's no Brando fer sure.

Space1999 likes this.