Possible Vintage Gibson Humbuckers in my Sheraton?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Texsunburst59, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

This past Sunday I found and put on layaway a '89/'90 Epiphone Sheraton II guitar

The guitar is not 100% stock and has 2 hardware upgrades.

1) vintage Gold Schaller M6 mini tuners

2) vintage Gold Schaller Model 492 Quick Change Stop Tail Bar w/ fine tuning adjustable screws(removed by previous owner)

Here's where Gibson pickup question comes in.

I think besides upgrading the above pieces of hardware, the previous owner upgraded the pickups as well.

On almost all pictures I've ever seen of these older '89 to early 90's Epi Sheraton guitars, the gold plating on these pickups is almost always rubbed off the tops of both neck and bridge pickups.

I've also noticed that almost all the import humbuckers installed in the Korean, Chinese,etc........ imports guitars, all have phillips head screws for the pickups height adjustment.

I'm thinking that the pickups in this guitar might be vintage Gibson humbuckers for thes reasons

1) the pickup height adjustment screws on both the bridge and neck are slotted head screws common to older late 60's and early 70's Gibson Patten Sticker T-Tops.

2) the gold plating wear on these 2 pickups is consistent with the better quality used on Gibson pickups

3) I've never ever seen slotted head screws pickup height adjustment screws used on any import pickups

Here's some pics of my Sheraton with pickups in question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Gibson 80's guitars with original pickups all use the phillips head screw for the pickup height adjustment as well.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The only way to be sure is to pull them out and look.
    Well, if you're gonna dream, dream big, 'cause those p'ups are worth more than the guitar.

Cozmik Cowboy likes this.
  3. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

Your Sheri looks a lot like my '92 - except for the missing pole pieces. Yes, my height screws are Phillips, but my covers aren't much more worn that yours, and I have seen many a Gibson 'bucker with the gold worn off, as well. I have noticed, over the years, that the screws do come out; I would not take them as an indicator. I do have a friend who has an '88; I'll shoot him an e-mail & ask what his has, just out of curiosity.

But, as Raiyn says, if you want to know, the onliest way to know is to pull them out & let us take a gander at the back side.

Oh, and before I go: I'm sure you couldn't I'd say this, seeing my avatar, but - nice guitar!

Raiyn likes this.
  4. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

Never saw an Epiphone E shaped like that on the pickguard.
    Is it etched into the pickguard or is it a stick on?

Pat

5. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

that era of Sheraton never had Phillips pole pieces on the pickups. The only way you're gonna know for sure is to pull them out and look at their back plates.

Just one more reason for you to forget about the lay-away and just swipe the card and bring it home.

SoCaliJ likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

He's talking about the height adjustment screws, we noticed the missing poles. You seem to be going a bit mix-y / match-y.

7. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

It looks like a sticker if you zoom in but not for certain... huh interesting

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that this is what it is, but a guy could have that cut in a metallic silver vinyl pretty easily these days. Especially if a guy could provide a .svg file.

9. Cozmik Cowboy

As I said above, looks just like mine; it's printed on the 'guard.

Raiyn likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That's cool.

11. Cozmik Cowboy

Yeah. The big raised one & the sticker both look a little cooler at first - but they are also both known for coming off. Mine won't.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I mean, with a bit of 600 grit... :laugh2: :cheers:

That said, the .svg / vinyl decal route might be a good one for the "fall offs". Cheap, subtle (if you like - there's a bunch of colors), easily applied. I've used that stuff on so many of my projects with nice results.

Darkness and Cozmik Cowboy like this.
  13. Space1999

I usually gauge wether an Epi sounds better or the same with the pickguard off. If it sounds the same I leave the pickguard on.

I have had a few I have bought on Reverb that show up without the “E” decal on the pickguard.

If they show up that way and I like the pickguard on I use the raised letter adhesive logos you can find just about anywhere.

Once they are on there, they are on there.

My comment was one of surprise because I have never seen the “E” shaped that way. I am used to the “C” with the line strike through.

Pat

14. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I realize that all my guesses as to why I think the pickups in this guitar are pure conjecture, and I'll know the facts once I get the guitar out and inspect the pickups, but I have
    a few other thoughts.

So now I have another theory as to what the pickups might be in this guitar.

I'm leaning toward Gibson '57 Classic PAF's.

The 57's Classics were introduced in 1990, and they do come stock with the vintage style Slotted head pickup mounting screws.

I'm thinking with the Schaller M6 tuners, Schaller 492 Quick Change Stop Bar Tailpiece , and the Gibson Classic's, it was an attempt by the owner at making this a Gibson 335 style guitar.

The replacement Schaller hardware and Gibson '57 Classic's fit right in the timline of when this guitar was new, and seem to show playing wear that would be consistent with parts that are around 30 yrs. old.

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

An interesting thought, based on a screw, but interesting. Of course that's like saying my G400 is rocking Tony Iommi pickups based on a picture.
    20200629_140037 (1).jpg

It isn't by the way.

Space1999 likes this.
  16. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I understand that my reasoning is probably misguided,but here's what I'm basing it all on.

The 2 pickup mounting screws used by Schaller, Gibson, DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan and EMG Select pickups are USA 3-48 thread and are 1 /14" in length.

The metric pickups that come on Epiphones have larger diameter screws and shorter length ears on the pickups. The screws and springs are shorter and theirnumber is M3 x 25mm= 1" long.

My understanding is you can't use a USA 3-48 screw with a metric Import pickup, as it wouldn't fit.

So because of all this information, I'm guessing the pickups in this Sheraton have been replaced with some sort of USA, but I'm still leaning toward them being Gibson's

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Last week you thought they were T-tops.

You're getting yourself all worked up over a screw that you haven't turned for yourself.

Pay the thing off and look under the hood before you go hyping yourself up for a big block only to find a 305 2bbl.

SoCaliJ and Darkness like this.
  18. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Not getting worked up at all.

I just find the detective work trying to predict what they are fun and educational, and nothing more.

If the pickups aren't what I think they are, I'm still a happy camper and the ride was fun.

No harm no foul and I'll enjoy the other 55+ guitars in my collection.

Thanks for your input in this thread.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  19. Space1999

Well for sure a hell of a lot of people (including myself) have bought 90’s Sheraton’s and replaced the pickups and the tuners.

Mainly because the Sheraton’s started looking and playing pretty damn good when the went to Korea and had good wood in them.

I am not sure when that happened, I am referencing a ‘98 Sheraton

Your guessing is definitely fun and a cool way to pass the time, but like Raiyn said, you just don’t know till you pull those bad boys up.

Pat

20. Darkness

Darkness Active Member

Hey man, plenty of guys with 289 would kill for a 305 :hmm:

Raiyn likes this.