Potent Potables for $200, Alex.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Otto99, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Thought I’d start a drinkie thread so we won’t hijack the weather thread anymore. @Digger, I’m with you. I like my bourbon chilled, no ice, and a generous splash of water. Once in a while I’ll make an old fashioned whisky sour, and sometimes an old fashioned Old Fashioned, but that’s rare. Once upon a time, if it had an alcohol content, I’d drink it, but the list of what I like anymore has grown thin. Vodka repulses me now since I’ve worked with strong alcohol in my artwork, I have maybe one or two gin and tonics in the summer, tequila has always tasted like dirt to me, as does moonshine, and the only rums I like are the dark rich ones, not the dry Bacardi and such. I’ve already mentioned quitting tobacco killing my love for scotch. I do like a good beer and a lovely Cabernet or Pinot Noir, and some white wines, but not oaky Chardonnays that taste like a mouthful of oak splinters.

Lancpudn, Digger and DigitalDreams like this.
  2. DigitalDreams

DigitalDreams Well-Known Member

Not much of a drinker anymore but man I sure do crave an ice cold beer in the summer on a rare occasion. I quit the cigs in 2015 as well but still crave a good cigar. As much as I would love a cigar I am worried it might make me crave the cigs again.

Lancpudn likes this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well in addition to my apparently blasphemous enjoyment of brown party liquor* and Coke beverages, I've come to enjoy Meads and Ciders. I was an occasional beer renter, but since SWMBO has Celiacs I've been converted over to beverages that are safe for her too.

Vodka is good for a couple recipes SWMBO has. I'm not a wine guy, but I know what I like. I've had an unopened bottle of Jager sitting in my freezer for over a year. Why? No idea. Just sorta appeared.

Tequila is NOT my friend. Just isn't. Yes there's a story, but it's like a lot of other folks, so you already know the jist.

I don't drink often anymore. Heck getting more than slightly buzzed at the house (or anywhere) is rarer than a good idea coming out of Washington.

* Bourbon, rum, SoCo, Canadian stuff whatever

4. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

If I drink spirits I like a whisky with just a splash of water in it, Usually a blended whisky. A nice glass of port from time to time doesn't go amiss either. :thumb:

There is a drink over here called 'Nelsons blood' It's Guinness & port mixed in a pint glass, very potent. :shock:
    I always loved ales like a nice bitter or stout but over the years they started to give terrible headaches & a bad stomach the following day, Coeliac symptoms? :dunno: There are quite a few in my family that have that but I never suffered with any of those symptoms until recently.

My tipple is a nice cold bottle of vintage dry cider these days, I have zero headache or stomach ailments with that drink. :thumb:

5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Room temperature is best for me for Scotch but mostly I just have a small bottle of ultralight beer. Light beer started off like water and was tasteless. Coopers “Birrell” is made here under licence from Carlesberg and is rated as an ultra light. With so much nice weather I like a beer at the end of the day but don’t need the alcohol and @ .5% there isn’t much of that. However it is a full flavoured beer and is refreshing.

I like wine but can’t drink it as mostly it’s full of preservatives that I react to.

6. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

There’s a beer emporium here in Memphis that serves those called Black Velvets. My favorite is the Blue Velvet; Guinness, cider, and the splash of port.

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Close enough to want to get checked out. SWMBO gets that plus rashes and (other) fun stuff.
    I can tell the difference between what I like and cheaper stock, at least for the first few. After that, it matters a bit less, but I can always tell in the morning. I don't get hangovers, as such, but I can note a difference in how I feel after decent vs rotgut.

Lancpudn likes this.
  8. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Oh, God, when I lived in Cocoa Beach there was a retired full bird Army colonel around the corner from me, and I’d drop in to check on him and have a drink from time to time. He drank Passport Scotch, because according to him it was less sugar than most. I’d have maybe a couple normal sized pours with him, and the next morning I would feel so bad.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 4:37 PM
  9. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

My 'go-to' liquor is Smirnoff and my 'go-to' beer is PBR.

Occasionally I'll get some Crystal Head vodka and I also really like Stella Artois, Red Stripe, and St. Pauli Girl beers.

I don't do wine. Something in it (sulfites?) gives me a terrible headache even after just a glass or two.

Raiyn and Digger like this.
  10. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Depending on the sulfite level, I’ll get congested and feel like it’s a mild sinus headache. However, I used to have a stronger sulfite reaction to iceberg lettuce on salad bars, and once I figured that out, I stopped grazing the salad bar.

Supersonic likes this.
  11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

I had to stop drinking Pale Ales after I turned 45. Same issues with the headaches, but not the stomach. I've read other people complain about this on the internet. The trouble is that PAs are very trendy now, such that the liquor store has a thousand different selections, but only a few lagers or pilsners. I usually end up buying a wheat beer.

I used to have a similar problem with red wines, but that went away. Maybe about the same time that the pale ale problem started.

Supersonic likes this.