Question, re: pickups on Riviera P93

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Apostata, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Apostata

Apostata New Member

Hi all,

I've only been playing guitar for just over a year. Beyond the basics, they can still be a bit of a mystery to me, a former drummer and keyboard player. My one and only guitar is a used Riviera P93. For those who don't know, this model has three (as the name implies) P90 pickups -- neck, middle, and bridge. My question is about that damned middle pickup -- based on my own ears and what I've been able to research, it's dark/muddy (I don't mind "dark" but not to the extent that tonal clarity fades away). For anyone out there who has played this model, is this your experience? Have you found a way (combo of switch position and vol adjustment?) to achieve a clear tone with the middle pickup engaged? I spent 30mins with a pair of head phones and went through all the permutations of switch position/vol and found that I liked it most with the middle pickup turned off. Maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be for me aesthetically, but I'm curious what others who have the same guitar have found in their own experience.

For sake of argument there's this thread where people advocate for taking off the soapbar covers and/or futzing with the magnets (!) to open up the potential of the pickups. Not sure how I feel about that.

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

I have one. I really like how the 3 pups have their own volume control. I usually just turn the middle one up a little bit until it blends well with whatever other pickup I've got switched on. Sometimes I do just turn the volume on the middle one all the way off depending on what I'm playing. I think they sound good. I wouldn't want to have to use the middle one by itself but I think it adds a unique sound when blended in with the others. I would try messing around with your amp settings. Believe me, you can get some great sounds from those guitars.

Apostata likes this.
  3. Apostata

Apostata New Member

Thanks, @Supersonic. I'll see about adding a taste of the middle pickup to see how that colours things.

Supersonic likes this.