Replacing stock tuners on Epiphone SG Special

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by nel, Oct 9, 2017.

1. nel

nel New Member

Good day dudes! I'm new here in this forum.
    I just want to ask if it's ok to upgrade my SG's stock tuners to budget tuners that has no brand or an OEM as they call it. It costs 10 dollars. I want to replace it because whenever I'm bending a string it gets out of tune easily especially the 3 higher strings.
    [​IMG]
    and one more thing, did anyone here used this kind of tuner? or did anyone here tried one of these? I just want to make sure I can get the best budget tuner for my SG Special. Be kind dudes I'm a newbie in upgrading parts! Peace out! Thanks in advance for your kind answers.

PS: I'm not that good in speaking/writing in english so if I have a grammatical error pls pardon me. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Paruwi likes this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's perfectly fine to want to upgrade your tuners, however a no-name $10 set of tuners might not provide much of an upgrade.

Epiphone owners tend not to worry about "originality" as much as Gibson loyalists. We love changing parts and making our guitars better.

nel likes this.
  3. Cam.man67

Cam.man67 Well-Known Member

Just FYI, if bending is causing tuning issues, you may want to investigate the nut instead of tuners.

That said, the style tuner you have pictured is an OEM style for a lot of brands of guitars. They're not terrible tuners to be sure, though I'd be tempted to shop around on eBay for a set of Grovers. I got a brand new set for $20, and they are truly a quality tuner.

nel and Raiyn like this.
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Welcome to Epiphone-Talk. It's your guitar, so making changes is fine. Just make sure that the seller's website states that the tuners are compatible with your SG. You would not want to get the tuners and then realize that you have to drill holes for the mounting screws to make them fit.

Also, are you certain that your tuners are bad? Often the string get caught in the nut. Try this - loosen the strings, lift them out of the nut slots, and use a pencil to "color" the slots. The graphite lubricates the slot and helps the string to slide.

Best wishes.

nel, Biddlin and Paruwi like this.
  5. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with drilling holes to fit new tuners ;)

6. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

Welcome here @ €piTalk
    :wave:

This ^^ would be my advice, too

nel and Davis Sharp like this.
  7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

No there isn't, but the OP called him/herself a "newbie in upgrading parts." Drilling is not where I would want to start.

nel likes this.
  8. Silver Buck

Silver Buck Active Member

Check the Kluson Revolution tuners, light weight and high ratio I installed those on my Gibson SG Standard.

[​IMG]

nel likes this.
  9. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

and double the value of the SG-Special :rofl:

CheshireFrog likes this.
  10. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

There is always the option to take it to a tech.
    I understand that the upgrade cost becomes disproportional to the guitar.
    nel could also try to find used tuners to make it more affordable.

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I think your stock tuners are ok, for now. As others advise, use graphite to lube the nut slots and make sure your strings are wound correctly. This is a good video on the subject.

At some point you may choose to upgrade to a G-400, a better quality instrument and a more rewarding mod platform. Welcome and good luck.
    I have a G-400 Vintage for which I paid $160.
    DSCN1615.JPG
    Add the vintage Deluxe tuners, roller bridge, Maestro and Gibson 57 classics, I spent maybe $500. Worth every penny to me.
    Bella likes the worn finish.

12. nel

nel New Member

I'm planning on buying grovers too for my sg but it's too expensive here in our country. :D Maybe I'll save some money and buy quality tuners for my guitar

Raiyn likes this.
  13. nel

nel New Member

I'll try this one later when I get home. Thanks for the advice! Or maybe changing it to bone nut or graphite?

Raiyn likes this.
  14. nel

nel New Member

But all of the G-400 models that the dealers are selling here in our country is made in china. :D

15. Cam.man67

That's what I would do. Just wait til you can get decent ones, and in the meantime get some graphite on the nut to help stabilize tunings.

I've owned something like 20-25 different guitars over the years, and can only think of one or maybe two that I actually replaced the stock tuners on. It's just not as big of a deal as a lot of people think; it's certainly rare that bad tuners are the cause of tuning issues.

nel likes this.
  16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Smart. Wilkinson's are decent and may be somewhat cheaper and more plentiful.
    Try the simple (and free) solution first. There's more to replacing a nut than simply removing the old one and gluing in a new one. You'll need to do some fitting and fine adjustments that can be easy to mess up if you're not used to such careful work. If you do decide to go that route I suggest Graphtech TUSQ.
    That's not unusual. My beloved G400 is a Chinese model that I've completely modified to suit my needs.

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

What to you expect from a parvenu?

nel likes this.
  18. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

Does anyone know if there are any replacement tuners that will drop in and also line up with the existing mounting screw holes? Thanks.

19. Cam.man67

I'd be surprised if you could find anything to fit the same screw holes as those die cast tuners on your SG. Klusons (or Wilkinsons) probably would cover them up, but I'm not sure.

20. CheshireFrog

CheshireFrog Well-Known Member

Try properly re-stringing it before doing anything else. The above video is a great reference.