Restorative Justice

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of this? I got a letter from the local DA that asked if I'd be interested in participating in the process described as:
    "Restorative Justice is a theory of justice that emphasizes repairing the harm caused by criminal behavior. It is best accomplished through cooperative processes that allow all willing stakeholders to meet, although other approaches are available when that is impossible. This can lead to transformation of people, relationships and communities."
    Now I'm not interested in participating, but I wonder if anyone else has?

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Is this related to the grocery incident?

3. Biddlin

4. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen anything on it so far but will research it.

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

soulman969, Biddlin and Raiyn like this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's an interesting theory.

No, actually I take that back, it sounds like something my father (police officer) would do in our small town if a kid got caught shoplifting or something similarly petty. This just sounds more official. Bear in mind this was many moons ago and (breaks out a bag of Werther's Originals) people had more respect for each other.*

I'm supportive of the idea, (for minor matters) but sadly it needs to have some "on the record" teeth in order to function outside of a small town where everybody knows everyone else.

*If I had pulled what these hooligans pulled back in my day... First off I wouldn't have. Secondly, If I had even thought about doing more than going over to the grocery store magazine rack and reading a copy of MAD I'd have been praying for Dad to catch me first. I wasn't "abused" but there were consequences for misbehavior. Grounding, sent to bed early (only one TV in the house) and other stuff came well before a spanking. I learned pretty quickly that when Dad pulled me out of a room, looked me straight in the eyes and quietly explained what I was doing wrong I needed to reverse course right now.

Darkness, davidchagrin and Biddlin like this.
  7. Biddlin

Exactly! This concept seems quite reasonable to me.

Raiyn likes this.
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

So, maybe give it a shot or call them up and get a better non legalese rundown.

9. Biddlin

I'm contemplating it, if only to see if my attacker expresses any remorse. I called and asked if the meeting would affect any sentencing and was told it would be part of the whole probation report.

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Like you said,
    It's up to you. I'd push for some parenting classes.

11. Biddlin

So, two hours of life I'll never get back. I went to a local fire station yesterday afternoon to meet with (Madame X) her husband, her pastor and a legal aid from the County attorney's office. The legal aid began by explaining that this was not a court proceeding, just an informal meeting, then another 15 minutes of explaining the purpose and scope of the meeting. She read the police report and the complaint from the DA. She the. turned the floor over to Madame X who read a short apology from a typed sheet and the legal aid asked if I accepted it. I said, "It was very nice but I wonder what she might say or do to make it more manifest?" The pastor then jumps in uninvited and starts telling me about all the good things she's done fr the church, most monetary contributions,it sounded like and how much she loves her family. Her husband, a guy not much younger than me by his looks, adds that she has been seeing a therapist for depression since the birth of the second child and has been dealing with some "entitlement issues." I am mostly silent during the whole thing. The legal aid asks me, "Are you ready to forgive Madame X?" "Sure. I hope you get the help you and your family need." I could see Madame X go from sedated housewife to blind rage machine. She literally bit her lip. Her husband sensing this began his own apology and insisted that his kids know better now and that they too are sorry for their behavior. this caused his wife to shoot arrows with her eyes but she remained silent to the end.
    It is my understanding that the meeting minutes will be submitted to the probation department and then to the court. Whatever they do is beyond my control or interest. The only thing "positive" I got from this is that the kids have a solid dad and he seems to be aware of his wife's entitlement.

Darkness and davidchagrin like this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Biddlin likes this.
  13. Darkness

Darkness Member

The severity of the crime would need to be very low for me to consider this. If its something like your dog pooped on my lawn and you didn't pick it up, or I run a store and you stole a pack of gum, okay. Anything bigger in scope and this wouldn't be effective. If I were a criminal and knew I could just write or recite an apology letter to earn forgiveness and leniency, I would be more enticed to commit the acts.

Similar to how children are taught to say sorry when caught misbehaving, yet they will misbehave again because saying sorry when forced isn't genuinely being sorry. Some real form of punishment is needed to correct behavior.

I don't know the story of the store incident but it does sound like the madame is being forced to apologize and isn't genuinely remorseful. When you are sorry you are a bit in debt to the person you wronged and tend to expect a bit of criticism or corrective suggestion from them. Hopefully the husband has more of a handle on things.

14. Jeffytune

Jeffytune Well-Known Member

I think it would work sometimes..................right up the point some victum shows up with a gun for revenge.......

I'm Just sayin'.......