reverb sold

Discussion in 'Bay Watch' started by saipan, Jul 23, 2019.

1. saipan

saipan Active Member

reverb sold out/got bought by another company called etsy.

Maguchi and BGood like this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You hadn't heard of Etsy before?

I've purchased from both sites and had zip for issues. I don't have any problem with the two merging with the caveat that I'm a buyer only. I don't have any skin on the seller side of things.

3. saipan

saipan Active Member

never heard of etsy, was impressed by the money though. makes me want to start a .com in my basement.

4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Some company is always being bought by some other company. I'll reserve my opinion until I have experience with Revetsy.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

No kidding?
    I've bought custom decals, shirts, vinyl stickers, stainless steel drinking straws and any number of other "human-made" stuff there over there. Heck my custom braided paracord hatband was purchased from an Aussie with an Etsy store.
    I'd be surprised if @Otto99 didn't have himself a store on Etsy.
    [​IMG]

6. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

I do! Actually three!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Raiyn likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:cheers:
    [​IMG]

8. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

@Raiyn, did Reverb always sell vintage stereo equipment? I’ve never shopped for guitars, having that benevolent son who gives them to me, so I wasn’t sure, but a Reverb ad showed up on my Facebook page, and it had some stereo gear from my college days. And the ad layout and all looked so very Etsy, I just was wondering if Etsy is channeling the vintage electronics to Reverb now.

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

To be honest, that's not something I ever looked for on Reverb. I look at pedals, pickups, and cables mainly.

10. corod

corod New Member

Etsy, much like Reverb, is a marketplace for sellers. Most of the issues that you may have with either website will be with the seller themselves and not with the site. They do offer some guarantees to sellers and buyers in case anything goes wrong for either end.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Hard to have seen this as a positive move for me but then the rising shipping costs and a massive influx of dealers with lower overall costs for everything was already creating an unlevel playing field for all Reverb private sellers. The addition of sales tax collections was a final serious wounding for me. In the end all of the "badges" Reverb can offer their best sellers still can't offset too large a gap in pricing.

I've done nearly 50 successful sales transactions via Reverb of everything from guitars and amps to pedals and parts but the changes which have taken place so far alone have forced me to rethink my approach. It's not a business venture for me. I've simply sold my own gear and that of a friend or two with less experience doing sales in an online marketplace but I have always insisted on doing this in a business like manner pricing competitively based on current market value, shipped quickly, and communicated with my buyers throughout the process. That's now much harder to do as far as pricing is concerned.

I'm still a fan of Reverb but as time has passed many of the advantages they enjoyed initially which allowed that business to grow as it did no longer exist for at least some of us. In fact my last two larger sales took place on Ebay where I also have a 100% seller rating. I'll also press much harder to sell or trade locally or in forum classifieds now that sales tax is adding significantly to a buyers costs. It was a great deal for the little guy initially but along the way it did reach a point of diminishing returns for many.