Rivoli ii pickups

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by John mclam, Aug 18, 2021.

1. John mclam

John mclam New Member

92B1921C-5561-42BE-AD41-549D2A531675.jpeg hi guys , 20 year epiphone player.

I’ve a question regarding “rivoli ii “ pickups.

I just bought a used rivoli ii and while the bass itself is good , the pickups are really dull sounding . I also reckon the previous owner has meddled with them .

I’m looking at upgrading. Any suggestions?

Also , I’ve never done a pick up swap. Recommended to get a tech do it or is it fairly simple ?
    I’m fairly DIY handy

Thanks guys.
    All suggestions gladly welcomed

John

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of the gibson/epiphone short scale basses and own a couple. But the pickup combo is kinda ridiculous. You've got a sub woofer (mud bucker) and a tweeter (mini hb) but all the important frequencies are missing. At least that's kind of always been my impression. You can sorta make those pickups work... sort of ..

I recently had a basket case slot headstock eb3 worked on... luthier's choice for pickups. Custom Rickenbacker style pickup in the neck and a purpose wound mini hb in the bridge. Absolute Night and Day change. Ted Vig @ vig guitars worked some serious voodoo on those pickups. Super flexible sounding now.

So I'd suggest better pickups. I mean you can swap out the wiring harness... but with a mud bucker all you're not going to get much but woof. On my EB2, I removed the legs from a guitar humbucker and installed it under the mud bucker cover. Instant awesome.

Great basses...capable of just about anything with pickups that are super specific sounding.

3. Darkness

Darkness Active Member

I can't provide any useful info but every time I see this thread I get a craving for pasta.

Beautiful bass you have there.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Very nice John and welcome in.

5. imnotcreative

imnotcreative Active Member

I can't tell you anything about the pickups but i can tell you in case you wan't to do the swap yourself tie a string of yarn or something around the pots before loosening them. That way you can pull the string of yarn to get it back through the hole without too much problems. I imagine it being a pain trying to get it back through the hole if you drop it

6. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers Active Member

thumbnail_20210604_141844.jpg thumbnail_20210527_074919.jpg It's personal preference on these "Mudbuckers" I love them, some people hate them. I have '98 MIK Rivoli bass similar to yours with a single mudbucker. Also a 2014 Epiphone EB-0 short scale bass with a mudbucker.

Can't tell if your Rivoli has been modded or not, not that familiar with the Riv II, there is a guy on FB that has a Rivoli page, plus check the link here for the Epi Wiki page. If your Rivoli has not been modded, personally I would not mess with it, if you do keep all the original parts, Rivolis are are in high demand and worth big $$.

R2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021