SG Muse intonation

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by William Chancey, Sep 16, 2021.

1. William Chancey

William Chancey New Member

I want to love my SG Muse but I can't , it will not hold tune and intonation is impossible.
    I have had it for 9 months now , I ordered Grover locking tuners and I am investigating a new bridge and saddles. Does anyone have a suggestion for bridge replacement.
    And am I the only one with this problem ?

2. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I bet that all your problems originate at the nut. The tuners that comes on that Epiphone are good ones, no issue. It is very rarely the tuners that make it impossible to hold tune.

What gauge string you have on it ? If you went up in size, they probably pinch in the nut slots, thus creating both problems you have. If you didn't change string gauge, then the nut has been badly cut.

Stop investing in things that won't help and find a good tech or luthier that'll make it work.

Nduro, soulman969 and Darkness like this.
  3. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

BGood is giving it to you straight. The new epiphone's are a great guitars but they need to be setup. Nut slots, Bridge slots, fret level and dressing.

Just about Every Single production guitar from any brand needs some attention in those areas.

soulman969 likes this.
  4. William Chancey

This didn't get much interest but , I want to give a follow up on intonation and tuning machines.
    While Epiphone may supply decent tuners , even twin brothers may be completely different.
    I did replace my tuners with Grover locking tuners and I do now love my SG it has made all the difference.
    When it comes to intonation don't disregard your tuning machines. It could be a worthwhile investment for a less expensive guitar. Look past your Nuts.

5. Darkness

Darkness Active Member

Don't take it the wrong way, but how does the tuner affect intonation?

Rookie asking here.

6. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

It never does. It's one of many internet tales on electric guitars.

7. William Chancey

I am referring to tuning keys but apparently that is an internet myth.
    I have nine guitars with three being electric and I do all work done on my guitars it is not an electric problem it is any guitar that has problematic tuning keys which can be many reasons even if it is the odd one out of a production run.
    The problem with intonation most usually is saddle , bridge , nut , but it is not always the only reasons.
    After over 70 years of life you see lots of internet myths.

8. Darkness

Darkness Active Member

I have a good understanding of mechanics but am new to guitars and always wanting to learn. I would expect the bridge first, nut possibly, bent neck maybe. Tuners adjust string tension (and so pitch) but I'm not understanding how that would affect the intonation. Don't take that as a challenge, just a curiosity.

9. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

This looks like something is lost in translation here.

I suspect William to be confusing adjusting intonation with tuning strings and tuner with tuning peg.

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Haven't the foggiest. I'm probably the biggest proponent of locking tuners on this board and I don't see how it would affect intonation.

Tuning stability? Sure.
    Tuning precision? OK
    Less likely to slip? One would certainly hope.

Intonation is set between two supposedly "fixed" points: the bridge and the nut. The bridge either has mechanical adjustments or (say on an acoustic) is shaped and angled to approximate proper intonation.

The tuners simply provide tension to bring the string up to pitch. It doesn't matter if they're chinesium or fancy Ratio tuners. Most likely, the act of changing the tuners and strings (with another attempt at adjustment) combined with a placebo effect to make the difference for him. Presuming that we really are talking intonation here of course.

At any rate, Dude is happy now. If he wants to believe that the tuners did the trick, that's cool. It could be as simple as a tuning issue that acted like an intonation problem. If you can't get the open string to keep tune, good luck pulling an octave.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    imnotcreative likes this.
  11. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

A lot of guitar players get lost in all the terms and confuse one thing for another.

I had a guy in the studio once who kept asking about a “Flinger” pedal. I told him it was a flanger pedal but he kept referring it to as a “Flinger” :facepalm:

Oh, the horror. :)

Pat

Darkness likes this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You sure that wasn't a bass player?

13. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

:lol:

Pat

14. mikezballz

mikezballz New Member

I had a 1975 Gibson SG that the 3rd string wouldn't stay tuned very long,but the rest of the guitar did pretty good as far as intonating it.

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That's a Gisbon "feature" ;)