Should it stay or should it go?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by SirMilo, Jul 11, 2020.

1. SirMilo

SirMilo Member

I realize that this is lame but I really can't seem to make up my mind about this. I've been thinking about it after doing some maintenance and playing all of my guitars over the past few months.

This guitar does get played and it looks/sounds great but it's probably my least favorite due to the radius even though it's a fairly minor thing. I might be a little more forgiving if my Peavey HPS weren't so similar while having a much preferred radius. I'm blessed that I don't need the money and I would not be selling or trading it for "something I like better" or to pay my bills. The sole purpose would be to lighten my load and not add to it. The only thing keeping me from making this decision is the resale. If I hated the guitar and never played it, the resale wouldn't matter to me and it would be gone. I don't hate it but as mentioned above, it's the least likely to be pulled from the rack. Seems like a waste of a great guitar even though it still sees some play time occasionally.

Keep it or send it packing? What would you do?

IMG_1005.jpg

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Well it seems pretty clear that your not gonna give it much playing time so I'd say let it go (within reason of course).

Since you're not desperate to sell it, I would say put it up for sale for what you think it's worth and if nobody bites then who cares right?

3. SirMilo

SirMilo Member

It seems so obvious when you put it that way. Thanks!
    This is exactly the reason I need to ask stupid questions from time to time. I tend to overcomplicate things sometimes.

Supersonic likes this.
  4. Norton

Norton Active Member

I’ve never liked those guitars. Turn it into something you like. Gear/cash whatever.

5. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

^^
    keywords....

SirMilo and Supersonic like this.
  6. Rick Davey

Rick Davey Member

Sell it off and repurpose the proceeds. That's dead money, something to always avoid. Doesn't sound like you'd miss it at all.

If some gut reluctance keeps stopping you from taking that step, try putting away all your other guitars and playing the MM exclusively for a month. You will either develop a new affection for it or learn for all time what you dislike about it.

SirMilo and Davis Sharp like this.
  7. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

You mean we can sell them too? :shock:

Well I'll be damned. Is there a book or a thread somewhere on this I can read for advice. All I can ever find are the ones about buying more. :D

MrJay, SirMilo and Davis Sharp like this.
  8. SirMilo

SirMilo Member

That sounds like solid advice although I should probably just let it go since I could use a few extra bucks now.

Now that i've done what I needed to do on all of my guitars over the last several months, I started a small guest bathroom project as a honey-do. Since starting this project, the budget has started to take on a life of its own so there's no such thing as "dead money" in my world at this time. Funny how that works. I started out to give the bathroom a small facelift (a little paint and perhaps install a new toilet) and it's now turned into a full blown renovation where the only thing that won't be changed, painted, or re-stained will be the bathtub. After tearing up 2 layers of flooring and grinding the concrete flat for tile installation, it seems I'm working way too hard just to walk away without going for a full blown renovation now. My OCD has undoubtedly kicked in to overdrive on this project.

Rick Davey and Davis Sharp like this.
  9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

This shower curtain is currently unavailable at Amazon, but when it's back...

upload_2020-7-13_20-43-13.png

Supersonic likes this.
  10. Rick Davey

Rick Davey Member

Sir Milo, with all the money you've saved by going full on DIY with that BR reno, your budget arguably owes you something special, like a great amp to elevate every guitar you own to a highr level. An 18 watt Marshall 1974 might do it. :)

SirMilo likes this.
  11. SirMilo

SirMilo Member

Rick Davey, definitely saving a lot of money doing the work myself. This terrible timeframe that we are all currently living in gives me the time to deal with a project of this magnitude. I will get back to working an income producing job when it's safer to do so.

Every once in awhile I think about purchasing another amp and then ask myself, why? I am blessed to already own a pair of very nice tube amps (in addition to the wife's tube Fender) and think another is just excess unless one of these breaks. I can cover a lot of sonic ground between these amps. Sure, I could always lie to myself and say I really need an 18 watt amp since my 50 and 60 watt tube amps are excessive but since I'm happy with what I have, no real need to go there. :)
    Perhaps I will just do a little something additional for my significant other of 31 years since she's a saint for putting up with the expense of my hobbies for all of these years.

12. Rick Davey

Rick Davey Member

Happy wife = happy life

13. Jam Handy

Jam Handy Member

If it had been me that bought it, it would have cost a lot more than I usually pay for guitars. Not sure what this one was, but some of these go for like $2,500-$3,000. If that were the case, and I never played it, I'd sell it and (for me) I'd be looking for a deal on an Epiphone LP that I could turn into a project (gut the electronics) kind of guitar that turns into something I have a connection to because of the attention I gave it...

Best money I ever spent was $150 on an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro off the Craigslist (even had a hard Epi LP case). It had a lot of issues, but at $150 bucks I didn't mind.

Totally gutted the electronics, replaced with all CTS pots, Switchcraft toggle, Dimarzio pups. Turned it into a guitar I can't keep my hands off for probably less than $500 total.

If that guitar is worth $2,500 and you were me, you could do the same thing FIVE times over and have 5 guitars you can't keep your hands off.

Here's my LP Trad Pro...
    DSCF1319sm.jpg
    DSCF1330sm.jpg
    DSCF1324sm--.jpg
    I call it "The Holy Trinity" as I got the PG from GreasyGroove in Canada (to use to play in church) that has the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (in the form of a dove) on the PG.
    https://www.greasygroove.com/jesus-our-lord-standard.html

Rick Davey likes this.
  14. Jam Handy

Jam Handy Member

I like this idea... take some good pictures (pictures sell on the Internet)... throw it up on Reverb or your local Craigslist or maybe your local Facebook Marketplace (or all 3) and just let it hang. Sort of "set it and forget it"... and if it sells, you got some extra room for your daddy-do project in the bathroom, or can re-invest the cash as you see fit.

Rick Davey likes this.