Show your Amps...

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Paruwi, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Cool. Thank you for indulging me with the photos, I have a soft spot for surf style music and I honestly dig the vibe of that amp.

I do need to confess that I had an ulterior motive for asking for the pictures. We have had a history of one of your countrymen pretending to be a someone he wasn't. He was stealing photos, posting other people's gear, etc. The guy is / was a real piece of garbage troll and has been banned.

2. phonepi

phonepi Member

Thanks @Raiyn ! :)

I'm currently working on another model - which will also have some Surf look :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to finish the cab this summer, maybe going further if possible... I hope ! :rolleyes:

"We have had a history of one of your countrymen pretending to be a someone he wasn't."

Mythomaniacs are everywhere... Did he tried to pretend he was me ? :confused: :D

I am not registered on any French language forum, and a very few English language ones, the ones where members are simply well educated - including primarily the moderators. It's very useful to maintain my English... :cool: In this category, I'll mention Gretsch-Talk forum.

Conversely, I finally left the TAG and TDPRI forums, tired by jealousy, bad faith, dogmatism and other common, free uglyness...

So yes, I am the Guy behind GUILHEM Amplification, and as you read it on my little website you visited, I am solely an amateur, without any commercial facility or production means... Even if there are some (unknown from me) who pretend to be the Customer and Maintenance Service of my "brand" ! :thumb:

upload_2021-7-28_0-17-20.png

You can even make a further checking, @Raiyn : drop me a message on the contact page of my website, let me know when it's done here on the forum, and I'll answer you in return from my forum mailbox... ;)

Cheers !

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Nduro, Raiyn and Brian Krashpad like this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You're quite welcome. The cabinet looks really nice so far. Your woodworking skill far outstrips mine, that much is certain.
    Not to my knowledge, but he'd post pictures of guitars he didn't own, claiming them as his. There was also the relentless trolling about how we waste our time with Epiphones when we should just buy a Gibson.

If you ever see me refer to The Mime, that's who I'm referring to.

I'm registered elsewhere, but I no longer participate on those other forums, I find it quite useful in maintaining my sanity.
    You should fit in quite well here. There is a healthy dose of (generally) good natured teasing, but we don't intentionally get too mean about things.

As a means of showing you how tightly woven our core members are, please check out our Covid-19 thread. https://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/covid-19-thread.4761/

I was disappointed when I saw that they weren't kits - I was considering buying one if they were available - but certainly impressed.
    I think we're good here, just don't get trapped in any invisible boxes. :cheers:

phonepi likes this.
  4. phonepi

phonepi Member

Thanks @Raiyn ! :)

I see... :cool:

Speaking about amps again : building a kit is indeed an excellent way to go safely and without disappointment for building a tube amp. There is a great offer in that field today...

Did you built some, by the way ? Or do you design and start from scratch like I (usually) do ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers !

soulman969, Nduro and IGRocker like this.
  5. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Wowza, if you sold these commercially I’d certainly be a buyer, assuming I could get the wife to agree! Very, very nice work. I’d love to hear a few tone clips, maybe start a new thread on these?

phonepi likes this.
  6. phonepi

phonepi Member

Thanks @IGRocker ! :)

Unfortunately, I am unable to go in any commercial business - I explain it on the home and contact pages of my website :

upload_2021-7-29_9-16-56.png

upload_2021-7-29_9-15-40.png

Maybe I'll do something when I'll be retired ? :confused:

I am the sole funder of what I buy or built, without impact on our living finances. So no complaint from my wife on that field, no authorization required for any musical investment. :cool:

There's some tone samples on my little website. Just google GUILHEM Amplification to find it, if you are interested... ;)

Cheers !

soulman969, Paruwi and IGRocker like this.
  7. grinwer

grinwer Active Member

Paruwi likes this.
  8. phonepi

phonepi Member

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I've built a few pedals, done electronic repairs etc., but I haven't dipped my toe into the world of amp building yet. That Comet of yours might have pushed me into those waters had it been a kit.

phonepi likes this.
  10. phonepi

phonepi Member

At least, one part of the road is already done... ;)

Cheers !

Raiyn likes this.
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Pony Guts.jpg
    I like to think I do decent work. :cheers:

Nduro and Brian Krashpad like this.
  12. phonepi

phonepi Member

upload_2021-7-29_23-18-13.png

It is, @Raiyn :cool: ! You should be able to venture in the tube amp kit adventure with success... ;)

Cheers !

Raiyn likes this.
  13. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

been playing this el diablo for years.

Screenshot_20210804-201709_Gallery.jpg

soulman969, Nduro, Paruwi and 2 others like this.
  14. Nduro

Nduro Member

Peavey valveking II 20 has joined the collection

Attached Files:

15. Nduro

Nduro Member

As for small changes, the front panel is covered with a net, now the amplifier has better access to air 1630614556615_copy_1024x1024.jpg

soulman969 and Paruwi like this.
  16. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Looks way better too. Have you written a review on that amp ?

17. Nduro

Nduro Member

I don't know English well, so I limit myself to a few words. It is a kind of tube amplifier with a very high gain PCB, it only sounds good when we set the volume to a minimum of 7-8. I changed the tubes on the preamplifier and on the EHX, but at the ends I mounted JJ ecc83s and JJ el84. and
    Nice, clean channel, and distorted is Satan

soulman969 and BGood like this.
  18. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Still slugging it out with my 15w Egnater Tweaker but now having replaced the V30 speakers in both 1x12 cabs with an Eminence Wizard and JS1250 I've begun to run both cabs with the amp now on it's 4 ohm setting.

It's tough to get a photo of the current setup with both since the speakers are separated by about 5' horizontally and about 2' vertically but both the volume and depth of field imaging are much improved now.

Here's an old pic of the Tweaker alone sitting on just one of the speaker cabs.
    tweaker.jpeg
    I've had it about 6 years now and it's performed very well for a relatively inexpensive tube amp. I've re-tubed it out of preference rather than need and felt that improved it quite a bit and it's versatility still makes me very pleased.

19. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I was aiming for that exact one when someone offered me a Rebel30 as a trade for my unloved Traynor YCV20WR. I didn't think twice.

Tone 2021.jpg
    Now with all the hype about the Marshall Origin and never having own or played a Marshall, I stepped up when one came out for a good price. I thought that maybe it could replace the Rebel. It still being debated as I just got the Origin 2 days ago, but up to now the Rebel wins.

Marshall Origin 20H.jpg

Nduro, Paruwi and soulman969 like this.
  20. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

The Rebel is an interesting concept as well but how did you find the difference between the EL84 side and the 6v6 side? To me there just wasn't that much difference and frankly I suspected as much.