Show your Epiphones

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Paruwi, Jan 20, 2015.

1. DigitalDreams

DigitalDreams Well-Known Member

You're quite welcome. Good luck on the repairs, keep us posted.:yesway:

engineeringAwkwards likes this.
  2. engineeringAwkwards

engineeringAwkwards New Member

I will do, the only scary part of the repair will be airbrushing the lacquer on to blend into the original! At least most of the damage is on the back :D

3. Kostas Kritsilas

Kostas Kritsilas Member

Sorry if I keep repeating myself.

Hipshot Griplock locking tuners with the UMP plates do not require new screw holes (they don't require any screw holes for that matter). The open back versions have an 18:1 ratio (and are slightly lighter), the closed back ones are 15:1 ratio. THey come in all the standard finishes, and a variety of knob options (including the "tulip" which are close to the "keystone" buttons), and the buttons themselves all come in different colours as well.

engineeringAwkwards and Raiyn like this.
  4. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Great find, those are cool SGs.

I have to ask why you want your tuners changed ? They're like new, plastic still on the back.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Maybe some people just prefer locking tuners over tying strings. Also, the whole "generic" tuner vibe isn't cool when it's a special guitar you wanted as a kid.
    Honestly, if it wasn't you, it'd be me. :cheers:

+1
    Headstock-alone.jpg
    I use them on all of my axes. I'm particularly fond of the open gear locking models.

Fergyuk and engineeringAwkwards like this.
  6. engineeringAwkwards

Thank you! I always like more options! Do you find the open gear locking tuners make much of a noticeable difference weight wise?

Thank you and good question!
    If I was having it as a display piece I would leave them and try to keep the guitar as original as possible.

But as I got it pretty cheap because of the damage and I actually really want to play it regularly. I want locking tuners to make string changes quicker and I am finding it does struggle to stay in tune.

I had the same problem with my previous SG, although this could be numerous factors, but starting with the tuners only seems like the logical choice as I want to replace them anyway :)

7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

I too have become a Hipshot fan. I have a set with the open back, but I like the closed back version better for no defensible reason. Maybe the open back reminds me too much of a crappy acoustic I had when I was younger. Oh that childhood trauma. :)

8. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

You're right for quicker string changes. As I replace my strings maybe twice a year, I don't feel I'm loosing enough of my precious retiree time winding strings to warrant buying locking tuners. When strings are due, I have the guitar lying on my workbench. I usually also clean the fretboard and maybe polish the frets if need be. So it's a slow and rewarding rituel and correctly winding the strings is part of it.

As for staying in tune, problem is usually due to a poorly cut nut that will bind strings in its slots. Very rarely because of tuner quality. Changing to a locking kind won't solve that.

Second in line is not locking strings on tuner posts, which will make strings slip. Won't need to do that with locking tuners though :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Compared to the closed back, yes. Compared to the non-locking Grovers that came on mine, it's negligible. I don't have those laying around anymore so I couldn't be that specific. SG's have a tendency to be neck heavy regardless. I chose the open back to minimize the added weight. I would guess I saved a bit more than the UMP plates in weight though.

Faster string changes are guaranteed, the tuning stability... that's more likely to be the plastic nut. I replaced mine with a Black TUSQ XL and things improved. I like it because it's self lubricating. Try coloring the nut slot with a #2 pencil, the graphite should help, I do this with the bone nut on my Strat, so it oughta work for plastic as long as it's not completely gooched.

Has to be it, because the open gears are awesome.
    Twice a year? Sheesh! If you're not playing enough, perhaps an investment in coated strings might be in order. :cheers:

10. JimmyNY

JimmyNY New Member

Thanks

engineeringAwkwards and ricky like this.
  11. Kostas Kritsilas

Kostas Kritsilas Member

The weight is noticeable, but not massively different. I think on a per tuner basis, it is a small fraction of an ounce, but with 6 tuners, it does make a difference. I bought the open back tuners for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard not because of the weight difference, but because of the increased tuning ratio. The increased tuning ratio makes it easy to get the tuning just right, and being locking tuners, you don't really have to turn the tuning knob as much as with non-locking tuners (less than a full turn of the winding post, vs. 2-3 turns on a non-locking tuner). The open back also allows for the very occasional addition of a lubricant of choice.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Same.

13. Marcdlv

Marcdlv New Member

Bought this one 450 CND!

It has the Gibson Headstock.

Attached Files:

BGood and Paruwi like this.
  14. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

[​IMG]

it's not an 'Gibson' headstock - it's a Samick 'narrow open book' style headstock,
    made at the Samick factory, Korea for a short time around 89-91

and

Welcome here @ €piTalk
    :wave:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  15. driver8

driver8 Member

I finally got around to installing some new pickups in my Joe Pass. I took a chance on these "Kmise" (?) single coils on ebay for $10 a piec. Not sure, but they appear to be GFS Dream 90 clones, with the same exact specs listed. They sound really good.

The next step is to strip the gold from the hardware, change the gold knobs, put on a TOM bridge I have, and replace the tailpiece with a bigsby. I kind of liked the gold with the red, but I think silver/nickel is going to look okay when it's all done.

The pickups are super clear, maybe even too much if that makes sense, so I found some HB-sized P90s on ebay (for $9 a piece lol, got to love china) that I'm also going to try. That might be what I finally settle on. I was going to sell this when it was stock, but it just plays too good to let go!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  16. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Member

A Joe Bonamassa 58 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty and a Les Paul Modern Sweetwater Exclusive Color Blueberry Fade.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Fergyuk and IGRocker like this.
  17. engineeringAwkwards

I like that pencil tip I'll have to try it at some point!!

I ended up replacing the nut with a Graph Tech TUSQ XL and then replaced the hardware with Gotoh HAMP tuners and the Gotoh bridge+tail piece in black. (I felt black would look better as it doesn't take away from the artwork)

And it stays in tune like a dream, the nut was most definitely a big part of the problem.
    I'm going to upgrade the electronics next!!

DigitalDreams likes this.
  18. engineeringAwkwards

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Emily the Strange SG with black hardware :)
    And my dog Bia!

Squittolo, Fergyuk, SoCaliJ and 3 others like this.
  19. DigitalDreams

DigitalDreams Well-Known Member

The black hardware looks sharp and like it is meant to be that way, nice job.

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

With the TUSQ nut, you won't need it.
    That isn't always necessary. (This, coming from Modzilla :shock:)

I can support going for better quality electronics, and I certainly have my (ever evolving) preferences, but it is SUPER easy to get sucked in by marketing hype.

If you'd like, I can offer suggestions and tell you what I've had success with. What I won't do is try to sell you something, or feed you a bunch of buzzwords and "mojo".