Show your Epiphones

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Paruwi, Jan 20, 2015.

1. memery

memery New Member

It is a 2020 model, still has some of the plastic, pick guard , everything had zero usage, Ill tune it later to day test it and then re-pack it in the Epiphone hardshell case ready to go with me to SEGR.

PS ignore the toes, I work from home lol

soulman969 likes this.
  2. grinwer

grinwer Active Member

I thought you sold your shoes to buy a guitar. Cool.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    soulman969, memery and Paruwi like this.
  3. memery

memery New Member

lol nooo that would have been a cool story wouldn't it ....not quite as good as the cross roads thing....ROFLol ...but this is the first new guitar since 1997 so i'm really chuffed to have it delivered today. I will try to post more pics of it this weekend.

BTW Can i get opinions on a vibrato / trem ? will the Duesenberg Les Trem ii or the Bixby b7 work well on this? Tuning issues with either? Stability on the bridge ? PS Its a GraphTech nut...

Milburn

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    soulman969 likes this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

A Les Trem or a Bigsby oughta work fine. Tuning issues relate mainly to friction in the system. You'll be fine with the GraphTech nut, and I'm sure your tech can make sure the bridge is smooth for a while.

If it were mine, I'd skip monkeying with the Epiphone bridge and put a TonePros TPFR-C Metric roller bridge on it - especially since you're adding a wiggle stick. The other thing I'd do is throw a set of locking tuners on. When using a trem the reduced tension on the string winds around the tuning posts can allow them to shift enough to throw off your tuning. The other benefit is with no string wraps you're not sitting there winding the tuners for a month and a half on a string change.

Someone will likely come on here telling you to "tie yer strings" (doesn't help with string wrap shift - just makes the initial set easier) or tell you about how their wiggle stick axe is so miraculously stable... Well, that's great. This is what works for me, and what I suggest to people.

5. memery

memery New Member

Thanks Raiyn,

I appreciate it and your advice.

The tuners are Grover, but not locking. According to the Epi documentation, the nut is a Graphtech.

Do you have a recommendation for the locking tuners that might fit out of the box for the Epiphone ES-339 ?

I had thought of the roller bridge, makes sense as the strings will move. Roller "should" help reduce friction and allow it to return to the same place. Mostly lol. I'll look into the TonePros TPFR-C Metric roller bridge and the Duesenberg Les Trem ii.
    Luthiers want to do a bone nut but i think i'll try the other adds first and then if i still have intonation and tuning issues, I can add the bone nut.
    Is that Stew Mac pre grooved unbleached nut any good? Guess i need to measure that for the string spacing once i get the guitar back from the shop

Thanks for all your help ,

Milburn

soulman969 likes this.
  6. imnotcreative

imnotcreative Active Member

I got me one of these last week
    incase.jpg
    I really like the neck shape, ever so slightly thicker than my gibson tributes, but same shape overall. But i wasn't into the ''aged'' finish very much, felt like some of the cheap textured plastic to me (very different than the satin feel on my gibsons) so i polished it and now it feels perfect. I also switched out the toggleswitch washer for an original gibson one i initially got for my bfg but decided not to use. The one that came on the guitar wasn't silkscreened very well and didn't look very good.
    It has a good weight to it, slightly lighter than my standard 60's, and doesn't sound as dark and bassy as my standard 60's( acoustically and amplified) here are some more pics, but they don't appear as shiny as it does in reality.

bodycase.jpg

body bottom.jpg body neck.jpg
    back.jpg What looks like a smear in the middle on the back is a reflection of my hand, took me a second or 2 to find out there wasn't a scratch or a smudge on the back. neck.jpg The fretboard darkened up quite a bit after oiling

One thing i don't really get though.. why put a ''locking'' latch on the case if there is no lock installed.. I thought it was a bit odd to see the key wasn't shaped so i decided to have a closer look at the latch. There seems to be nothing but a cylinder inside which you can rotate with the key, other than that it doesn't do anything
    slot.jpg That small piece of metal is part of the key by the way.

As my buddy's birthday is coming up next week i was planning on giving him the LP std 60's. He doesn't seem to be able to keep his hands off of it everytime he comes over and keeps saying it's about time for him to get himself a Les Paul.
    So i thought it's about time for him to get a Les Paul. Since i have a couple of LP's and i know where it will be going i don't have too much trouble parting with it. And besides, when i visit him i can still play it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm partial to Hipshot, particularly their open gear locking models. They're what I call a "day 2" mod. They're like Frank's Hot Sauce - I put them on everything.
    They have Universal Mounting Plates which make installation ridiculously easy.
    Rollers are a good thing.
    They want to get paid for installing a bone nut. The TUSQ is self lubricating. I have to do the pencil trick on the bone nut on my Strat, but the TUSQ nuts on my SG and Doheny I don't have to mess with.
    I refuse to shop at StewMac. I don't find them worth the premium.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  8. memery

memery New Member

Gotcha on all points. Based on your advice, I'll get the roller bridge, leave the nut alone ( except maybe lube it ) and get the Les trem II. looking now for the Hipshot locking tuners on Amazon.

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I usually snag mine from SportHiTech on eBay.

10. macaroni

macaroni Member

a dream came true . . . a les paul classic woody with seymor duncans jb joins my epiphone-family. the pre-owner sanded the top down to the original wood. it plays and sounds like a beast. i'm a happy bunny now.

Attached Files:

Paruwi, BGood and elephantrider like this.
  11. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

WOAH ! A beauty ! What is the finish on it ?

12. macaroni

macaroni Member

it's ma pure maple top

13. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I suspected that. What I meant is what finish did the seller put on that maple ?

14. macaroni

macaroni Member

he put wachs on it

15. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

What is that ?

16. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Member

Greetings all, just found this forum.

This is my PlusTop Pro. I've had it a few years now. She plays very well and responds to the lightest touch.

[​IMG]

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Wax perhaps?

18. macaroni

macaroni Member

candles are made of wachs. but you also can put colourless oil on it. the result is the same. greets

19. macaroni

macaroni Member

wax - you are right

20. macaroni

macaroni Member

it's wax

BGood likes this.