Show your Other Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Paruwi, Jan 20, 2015.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Thanks John. It was one of the better deals I've ever made.

The truth is I never really wanted a Strat. I'm a Tele guy. But I had told my jam buddy if I ever found a great deal on a hard tail I'd consider buying it.

So a year ago last June he calls to tell me Music Go Round in Ft. Collins, CO about 75 miles north of me near where he lives has this Mexican made Robt Cray Strat for $600.

So he shames me into driving up and we head to the store to take a look. I brought along a '95 Tele I'd bought cheap 10 years before and had fixed up as barter.

I don't normally trade stuff in but when the owner said he could do $350 cash for mine (I only had $250 into it) in trade for the Strat I knew we could deal.

The Strat was mint and still had it's hang tags in original $939 price tag in the gig bag. It had come from another dealer he bought out but even at $600 it wasn't selling.

I figure he had maybe $450 or so into it and that my Tele would sell faster so if he could make $250 profit on the Strat and mine combined he'd turn both faster.

So we both agreed and the kicker was I had just gotten a credit card that offered 0% interest for 12 months AND a $200 credit if I charged $1000 in the first 90 days.

So I put the entire $600 on the card knowing I'd easily ring up another $400-$500 on my vacation using the $200 credit as an offset for the Strat knocking it down to $400.

With the $350 cash for mine the swap only cost me $50 out of pocket and I might have beaten him down on that if I'd played hardball but that's not me. Still not a huge fan of Strats but this one is exceptionally nice and as good as anything Corona can make.

And the nice thing is if I do sell it I'll easily get what I paid for it......or I may never sell it. A man needs a little variety too.

:D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    SoCaliJ, BlackSG91 and John like this.
  2. Steven Westberg

Steven Westberg Well-Known Member

I just received this about seven days ago. Solid ash, 1952 copy. Maple neck. Feels like fine furniture, plays like a dream. Needs new strings but I want to play these factory strings out. Needed the bridge lowered too. Super nice, inexpensive too!
    F772FDD0-A34E-477A-BA89-C42624F8F6AE.jpeg 270A2E9B-EB70-42F0-9524-27C3E979EE98.jpeg

phonepi, SoCaliJ, BlackSG91 and 2 others like this.
  3. John

John Well-Known Member

Beautiful guitar Steven.

Steven Westberg and BlackSG91 like this.
  4. Keefoman

Keefoman Well-Known Member

This is a Les Paul BFG (Barely Finished Guitar?) I like the Humbucker - P90 combo, though I have never actually tried one. I think you got a good deal there! :yesway:

Steven Westberg likes this.
  5. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Member

My stable grew again... I am not too sure how it happened.

NewStrings.jpg TeleBody.jpg TeleFullFront.jpg TeleHeadstock02.jpg

6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Spontaneous generation of guitars. Good looking Tele. The rosewood on the blue is gorgeous.

phonepi, Jeremy Crockett and SoCaliJ like this.
  7. Steven Westberg

Steven Westberg Well-Known Member

soulman969 and Jeremy Crockett like this.
  8. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Member

Thank you. It's actually freshly-oiled Indian Laurel. My Squier PJ neck was so dry when it arrived it looked horrible, but based on many recommendations I tried Music Nomad's F-One fretboard oil and was very please with the results!

PJNeck_BeforeAndAfter01.jpg

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Biddlin likes this.
  10. imnotcreative

imnotcreative Active Member

it plays quite well if you like a big chunky neck on your guitar. it did have quite a loud hum when not being played which would go away if i touched the strings, bridge or any other metal parts.
    i took out the killswitch which i dont have any use for and wired it just as my epiphone. i also took some of the paint from the threads on the bridge and tailpiece studs to make sure they make proper contact for grounding and did some shielding with aluminiumfoil an got rid of most of the hum. there will always be a little hum from the p90 but it was really loud before. i wasnt too sure about the p90 at first but im slowly starting to like it. i did have to sink it all the way into the body to suit my liking, it used to be a bit muddy with lots of bass and little treble and mids in the position it was in. the burstbucker sounds nice clear and also a bit raspy.
    because its barely finished some of the edges on the body and neck (at fretboard) arent rounded which could annoy some people but you could easily sand it down a bit to make it rounder and more comfortable. and for a gibson they arent too expensive probably the cheapest and best gibson les paul if you feel like modding it to your likings. adding a neck humbucker requires some routing if you dont want to use a p90 size mini humbucker and the threaded nuts holding the p90 are close together towards the middle (its a bare p90 soapbar) which could prove difficult to find a replacement for. or use mounting rings. however that could mean you have to sand some of the wood around the pickup cavity to be able to fit the mounting ring flush to the body.

its probably easier to just install a p90 and a burstbucker 3 in a normal les paul come to think of it. i think that would come very close to sounding the same.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Basses count right?

kiloton1.jpg
    kilo.jpg

phonepi and Davis Sharp like this.
  12. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

All P90 have mounting screws at the same spot.
    You can't install a P90 in a humbucker routing. Or maybe you're talking about a P94, different animal.

13. imnotcreative

the dogear p90 has the mounting screws on the sides of the pickup if im not mistaking. which would make it unmountable in the stock nut inserts.
    as for putting one in the humbucker routing it was the p94 i meant.
    maybe if you make a shim youd be able to mount a regular p90. i dont know how wide a dogear is, maybe you could make 2 strips to screw into the existing pickup ring holes and a hole in the middle to put on either side and then mount the dogear to that. either way its going to be a bit of work to try and install one.

14. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

OK, yes a dogear is screwed on top of a guitar with wood screws.

As for respective sizes, this is what it looks like.

Pickups size.jpg

Fullmoon 1971 and Paruwi like this.
  15. Jody Rae

Jody Rae New Member

16. Mooseboy

Mooseboy New Member

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

18. imnotcreative

i could not resist to make my bfg more to my liking
    bfg.jpg
    i took out the killswitch, put the toggleswitch in the original place and added an extra pot for the p90.
    i gave it 50's wiring using braided shielded wire and a couple of orange drops.
    i replaced the wooden knobs with gold speed knobs. replaced all black hardware, it now has gold grover tuners, gold tonepro's bridge and tailpiece with graphtech saddles. cream gibson p90 cover and a gold switchcraft extention nut for the toggleswitch and i also replaced the plastic jackplate with a golden original gibson jackplate. i also have a cream 56 pickguard for it which fits perfectly but in the end i decided not to put it on. mostly because i dont want to be left with any holes in case i decide to take it off again.
    bfg2.jpeg
    this photo was taking while i was still waiting for the bridge to come. but it gives an impression of what it would look like with pickguard
    i put all original parts in ziplock bags and keep them in the case, if i ever want to put it all back to stock.
    in my opinion it looks a lot nicer and it plays and sounds great.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    phonepi, vomer, IGRocker and 3 others like this.
  19. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Good job ! I love the looks of those.

imnotcreative likes this.
  20. imnotcreative

after doing these mods i like the look of it a lot better. It doesnt look as rough as it used to when it was still stock. In my opinion it looks a bit more finished and as it should have been. It wouldn't have cost Gibson much to make it like this using their own parts. I think they might have appealed to more people if they just put in a bit more effort. I spent about €250 in parts in total. Subtracting the cost of the original hardware i think it wouldn't have cost Gibson more than maybe 20 dollars to make it like this from factory.
    I was initially wanting to use all original Gibson parts but i found out those are hard to come by at the moment. Most parts seem to have sold out just about everywhere and no one can say when they get new stock. I initially ordered an original Gibson bridge and tailpiece which stated a delivery time of about 5 days, but i got an email (from thomann Germany) saying they contacted their supplier and they were told their supplier could not get an estimate of when new stock would come in. They eventually delisted quite a few parts because nobody knows when things will come in again.
    i got the inspiration from seeing a les paul black beauty. I liked the combination of black and gold and since with the pandemic and everything being closed i ended up saving quite a bit of money last year. So i figured why not give it a try and see how it turns out. in the worst case i had some parts i'm sure i would be able to sell to someone else, but i ended up liking it quite a bit