Show your Other Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Paruwi, Jan 20, 2015.

1. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Didn't know the BFG was chambered. I'll keep that in mind.

imnotcreative likes this.
  2. imnotcreative

imnotcreative Active Member

I didn't know either at first. Untill i got the EPI LP STD 60 which was quite a lot heavier, so i did some research. Mine is made in 07, i don't know if all models after that are chambered aswell.
    What i'm curious about is if there is much difference in sound between the bfg with it's chambered body compared to the deluxe with no weight relief. I could swap out the p90 to the deluxe to give it a test. Maybe something to try in the future.

3. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

There is a difference. I have an Epiphone LP Ultra that is chambered and it gives it a nice rounded tone.
    Weight is basically in SG territory at 6.8 lbs.

07.jpg

Chambered.jpg

Paruwi and imnotcreative like this.
  4. imnotcreative

That's quite a nice top. My LP bfg is close in weight to my sg, ever so slightly heavier but my kitchen scale only goes up to about 2,5kgs(about 5,5 pounds) so i can't weigh them.
    I think i might give it a try next time i'm changing strings. Quite curious to hear the difference. I do remember the burstbucker 3 in the bridge soundy more rounded and airy than the other guitars. Unfortunately i won't be able to test a minihumbucker in the bfg because the p90 is screwed into a pair of threaded inserst that are pressed into the body.(no mounting plate)

Paruwi likes this.
  5. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Thanks, that LP was heavily deblinged. My wife called it a Rococo guitar when I got it, that was enough for me to act on it.

Before & after

Avant-après.jpg

Just for a test ? Use this ...

w_17.jpg

imnotcreative likes this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

:rofl:

7. imnotcreative

Looks like the figuring in the wood comes out a lot better without the gloss. Nice job

I think i'll be using some low tack masking tape instead of ducttape. I'm pretty sure the ducttape will strip off the thin finish that's on the guitar. I think they sprayed a single coat of black and then buffed it. All the wavy flaming that can be seen on the top is the actual wood.

BGood likes this.
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Yup