Slash Epiphone 2021 anger!!!!

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Bradgrubbs, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Bradgrubbs

Bradgrubbs New Member

So the new Slash Epiphones are finally out. Sweet water has them on their website. The top is a veneer. The pickups are epiphone probuckers. The guitar is $900. The ‘59 limited is $100 less with a cap and Gibson pups. For $900, slash signature Seymour Duncans should be standard. I’m not going to complain about the veneer, but when they put probuckers in the guitar, it becomes overpriced by $400. For what? Slash’s name? I’m surprised Slash was ok with this. Epic fail Epiphone!

shimmilou likes this.
  2. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

So you come here with a first post on a dedicated Epiphone forum to piss and moan about a top Epiphone guitar model ?

Greatest intro post ever !

FYI
    Said guitar is described on Sweetwater's page as - Top Material: Carved Hard Maple

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    dasherf17, SoCaliJ, Biddlin and 4 others like this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

$899 is about average for an Epiphone signature model, no matter whom the signature belongs to.

On the Sweetwater site, the gold finish states "carved maple top," but the others say "maple veneer." As far as the pickups, if you want the Gibson BurstBuckers, buy the '59. If you want Slash, buy the Slash. But remember, Gibson really wants you to buy Gibson. If they put all the premium features on an Epi, who would buy the Gibson? Whatever you buy, I hope you enjoy it.

ProTip: the first post is usually a pleasant introduction.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Darkness, Paruwi, Raiyn and 1 other person like this.
  4. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Ah ... figures ... I only looked at the GT. But as we know how thouroughly Epiphone is on their spec lists, if the GT has a maple top, we should expect other colors to have it too, but with nice figured veneer added for eye candy.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

U mad bro?
    Try getting the JoBobo Amos V and finding out that you need to buy the $400 signature pickups separately. That's comedy gold right there.

Also Slash doesn't give a damn about the Epi's he got paid.

At least the Slash sigs are available, I've had my new axe on preorder since January - which reminds me I need to text them again.

IGRocker and Zero like this.
  6. JY1978

JY1978 Member

I am a bit disappointed about the pickups and the absence of switchcraft electronics (like in the 59). I am the type of person that needs to bring it to a luthier as I am really not good at that (so serious additional costs). But might go for the appetite burst if the finish is really nice in real life (pictures don’t always do justice), I am tempted… Do I need the guitar? Not really (bought 5 Inspired by Gibson guitars last year). Doubt between the appetite burst or the Gibson Les Paul Classic in Honeyburst.

The appetite burst would look nice next to the other Slash signature guitar that I have by the way (see the picture)

082CB0B9-DB90-4E0F-AEEA-6D6441EC7083.jpeg

shimmilou, Darkness and Davis Sharp like this.
  7. DigitalDreams

DigitalDreams Well-Known Member

Huh? Well shit I've been enjoying the hell out of my Amos V without the sig pups this whole time! Wish you would have told me sooner...

8. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Member

Why does anyone need Slash's name on an Epiphone?

BobbyMac, Darkness, grinwer and 2 others like this.
  9. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Same reason they need Oakley or O'Neil on their T-shirts.

Darkness likes this.
  10. Zero

Zero Active Member

Shit! I bought the damn sunglasses instead of the shirts!

Darkness likes this.
  11. Zero

Zero Active Member

On more serious note, I’m a die hard goldtop fan. The look of the Victoria GT is pretty much everything I wanted from a GT that was not in the 50’s line.
    -No veneer on the back, it’s a 2 piece body.
    -The binding looks thicker (from the front) that the rest of the Inspired By Gibson line minus the Customs)
    -From the videos and pics, the dish on the body looks to be more exaggerated like the vintage LP’s

I know small things, but still things I consider.

The not happy list
    -Probuckers; are you FU€K!N kidding me?
    -Cost; Epiphone has already shown their ass on this one for the 59. The 59 is two piece non veneer body, upgraded pickups and wiring and it comes with a case for $100. No offense @Slash but come on...

I’d like to find one with a repair needed and totally gutted with the case. I’d swap all the electronics anyway.

shimmilou and Nikki M like this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

My bad. Here you are enjoying a perfectly functional guitar and I go ruining it by pointing out that you aren't getting the full JoBobo experience. <sigh>
    I owe you a beer :cheers:

But...but..... :slash: :laugh2:

Surely the coolness of his logo is a massive talent enhancer and ought be worth a few extra copeks.

Zero likes this.
  13. Zero

Zero Active Member

:rofl:

14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If we're being honest about things right now, all snark and jokes aside, this all comes back to the global supply chain issues everybody is having.

Nobody is being lazy, the manufacturers aren't gaining extra profits off this, in fact they might be taking a bath on them considering how shipping from China to the U.S. has gone up over 220% since this time last year.

Before anyone starts with the "but the '59..." stuff, it was released earlier, so it likely wasn't slapped with as many issues as the Slash models.

I'm going to spitball for a second here: I'm not going to say they weren't planning on getting paid for the Slash name. Given the direction Gibby has been going prior to C-19 I'd say they would have liked to put out something a lot closer to the '59 and only had the $100 surcharge for the color and logo.
    When the SHTF, Gibson probably had to pivot a bit to still meet the price point. They couldn't feasibly send over Gibby pickups and expect to make any kind of money, which is the point of running a business after all. By the same rationale, they're not going to install them stateside because of labor costs - this assumes they have any available in the first place (watch the video, back stock ain't a thing anymore).

Lest we forget, Gibson is the pretty face of the company, while it's Epiphone that's keeping everyone fed.

EDIT: BTW, I'm still waiting on my Squier Contemporary Jaguar. You know, the one I pre-ordered back in muhfuggin' January? So yeah, while I indulge in the occasional (more than occasional?) bit of snark, I've got skin in the game too. I'm not just pointing and laughing, on some level I might actually be a bit jealous

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  15. DigitalDreams

DigitalDreams Well-Known Member

Well said Raiyn. :cheers:

Zero and Raiyn like this.
  16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I have my moments. :cheers:

Zero likes this.
  17. Darkness

Darkness Member

I always got oddly bothered when I see cross contamination- somebody wearing addidas shoes and puma t-shirt, or a Van's hoodie and Converse shoes.

Crap my Epiphone has Gibson pickups! Its cross contaminated!

Zero and BGood like this.
  18. Zero

Zero Active Member

D6411F4D-9292-4A7E-BC02-CDCD0362DD6C.jpeg

Darkness likes this.
  19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If you knew the history, this one would bother you even more.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassler_brothers_feud

That's like saying you've got a Caddy engine in your Chevy. :laugh2:
    I've got Carvin pickups in my Epi, now that's some real cross-pollination baby! :beer:

Darkness likes this.
  20. Darkness

Darkness Member

Oh I do. I knew Puma and Adidas were adversaries for a long time but not until I saw the movie did I know it was a sibling war. I thought it was just like a Ford vs Chevy thing but when I learned it was a falling out of brothers it got more interesting.

The movie was pretty damn good by the way.