Slash Epiphone 2021 anger!!!!

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Bradgrubbs, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I have not had the opportunity to play the latest Slash concession but I did play a'59 and it was stellar. if I were still gigging three or four nights a week, I'd add one to my remuda. I'd also get a Standard 60s.

Darkness likes this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it. I am, however, rocking shell toes at this moment. The 80's model with the leather interior, the cloth ones don't last for me.

Zero and Darkness like this.
  3. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

Been rockin shell toes since RUN DMC pulled the laces in the 80’s. But I have laces in mine.... :cool:

Darkness likes this.
  4. Darkness

Darkness Active Member

I gave up on shell toes in my teens. Skateboarding in shoes where the sole was slightly skinnier than the shoe lead me to ankle injuries. I still love how they look but I won't buy them.

I do have two pairs of Puma however, bought before seeing the movie and realizing I supported the villain.

Where were we... anybody buy a new Slash yet?

5. TheKat

TheKat Member

No - and I surely will not.
    Seems that Gibson wants to milk Slash's phenomenal popularity to the last drop. And Slash doesn't seem to oppose, perhaps because those deals alone will supply him with millions and millions (which us mere mortals (aka the Epi prolets) have to substitute, like 100$ each).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  6. TheKat

TheKat Member

And another rant:
    I do not know of any Epi with a flamed maple cap - They are all veneers. But some veneers (on the more expensive models) are on a maple cap. Which may look horribly and be composed of 10 pieces or not, we do not know.
    At least this you can find on the Epiphone website.

That the beautiful mahagoni look on the backside is a veneer also? Well, the customer doesn't need to know everything, does he???

7. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

On the LP forum, a gentleman picked one up. He showed pics of the bridge pickup cavity, advised he swapped the bridge, pickups, switch and posted a few pics. No measurements on the pickups, unknown tenon length, as it was an anaconda burst and no pics of the back to confirm the veneer.

8. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

The body is supposed to be a two piece with no veneer similar to the ‘59.

9. TheKat

TheKat Member

I've looked at some dealer photos, and you are right! The Slash models even seem to have bodies with better patterns, some 59s are ugly.
    I formed my opinon from the photos on the Epi website, where the 59 shows a very pretty one piece (or, more probably, veneered) body.

10. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I always wonder how many pieces makes a body inferior to a 2 piece ? 3, 4, 5, 6 ... ?

11. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

Even Trogly was disappointed

4:30-ish

12. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

Sweet water
    A7E2DC5D-C9DC-4948-88F6-6E14C030B989.jpg
    vs
    Epiphone site
    57F4BED2-7FDE-4E45-93DD-B7762B4FBA1A.jpeg

Crap!!!! Epi looks like a two piece (see site for better pics) and Sweetwater shows it veneered.

Jesus Epiphone, WTF?!

13. DigitalDreams

DigitalDreams Well-Known Member

You mean Mr. Only A Gibson Is Good Enough® didn't approve of an Epi!? Say it aint so.

Raiyn likes this.
  14. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

Obviously you missed the sarcasm.
    But in all reality, what he says in the video about the line of Slash guitars is true.

15. L.A. Nights

L.A. Nights New Member

Slash needs our help to pay off his mortgage on that expense house he bought in the Valley...

16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Same, so much easier to keep on one's feet.
    I dunno. Personally, I love butcher blocks. I hear ol' Gibby used to paint the multi piece bodies gold...

Zero likes this.
  17. ErylT

ErylT New Member

18. ErylT

ErylT New Member

carved hard maple top; custom probuckers/proprietary pickups, made in USA to Burstbucker specs. Watched a video posted by a respected builder, who decided to test whether wood really matters; ie: performance. So he built a concrete body, all other parts USA certified. Sounded just the same as mahogany, or mahogany with maple cap, or alder, or..., or.... Before my first Gibson, 1963, I had a Silvertone LP look alike, probably fridge magnet pickups.... ??? sounded great, but at age 14 I just had to have a Gibson and a Fender Strat. A second hand es 350 T and a Gibson Ranger combo amp, set me back $ 180.00; about 30 gigs work... the trapeze tailpiece made a wonderful trem....
    Wit age the myths become more apparent to me. My first flat top, age 12, was sourced from mahogany tea crates 2.5' x 3'; the neck, once a dining table leg. Great spruce was readily availble. At first this home made guitar was fine, then embarassment when I was questioned because it had no headstock logo. I saved for a year and bought a 49 $ KENT.... it was finger bleeding, void of tone, trash; but it had an ego salvaging LOGO... In 65 I lucked into a used pawn shop AMAZING 61 Epiphone Texan, 130 $'s; never has needed repairs, still gigable; priceless, to me personally, and now priceless in $$'s because of it's quality and the name of the original owner. It's a shame Gibson ever aquired the far superior Epiphone brand in an effort to remove the competition.

19. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

Could you imagine if this guy gave a crap about the logo on his headstock??
    9F41C696-3AD4-48E9-BA2F-8A04DF1A1F9D.jpeg

imnotcreative and Raiyn like this.
  20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Whut?

Zero likes this.