Slash Les Paul bridge/tailpiece bushings

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by megaman565, Oct 26, 2021.

1. megaman565

megaman565 New Member

Hello! New user here, hoping to get some help on this. I picked up an Epiphone Slash Les Paul husk for a custom build. I’ve been having a tough time finding proper bushings for the bridge and tailpiece. I have a Tone Pros II LPM02. The bridge and tailpiece spacing are correct, but the bushings supplied are too narrow for the holes in the guitar. The tailpiece bushings are a bit too tall as well - they stick up approx 4mm.

The bushings I have are M8x1.25. I measured them at about 11mm in diameter and the holes in the guitar are about 12.5mm. Does anyone know where to find the proper bushings for this guitar? Do I need to go direct from Epiphone?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

2. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

You said it’s a TonePro bridge?

Maybe call them to see what replacement bushings they recommend?

megaman565 likes this.
  3. Noodling Guitars

Noodling Guitars Member

Hello! Below is kind of what I've tried to figure out from the info you provided:

Stop tailpiece

For most current made in China Epiphone LPs using the locktone stuff, the bushing should have an outer diameter of around 11.5mm on the smooth part of the bushing (+/- 0.4 to 0.5mm for the knurled portion adding up to around 12mm total). The height of the bushings under the flange should be around 7/8" (i.e. approx 22mm). M8 x 1.25 thread size is standard metric threads for metric tailpiece studs.

Bridge

Didn't really see too much info on the bridge bushings in your post, but I assume you have a similar issue with the diameter. The bushings on current Epiphones using the locktone stuff should have similar dimensions, with the only difference being the length of the knurl on the bushings IIRC.

From what you say (12.5mm holes) for the tailpiece, this sounds like when the bushings were removed, the holes were slightly enlarged (or unless the previous owner tried to mod it to use an imperial tailpiece). If the bushings are too tall, I think the main fix would be to buy a set of Epiphone bushings and use those. The thread on the stock Epiphone bushings are also M8x1.25 and so the rest of the parts should fit. However, do measure the length of the tailpiece studs to make sure they're not too long. If they are, you'd want to get a set of replacement studs as well.

megaman565 and BGood like this.
  4. megaman565

megaman565 New Member

It seems that the tailpiece and bridge holes are cut to the same diameter. I’ve reached out to Epiphone as well as StewMac. I’ll also reach out to Tone Pro. I appreciate the responses! I have limited experience with Epiphones so I’m not sure if these holes were cut like this at the factory or if they have been modded. The bushings are the last piece I need to complete the build!

5. Noodling Guitars

Noodling Guitars Member

Yes, the current ones are drilled to roughly the same diameter for both the bridge and tailpiece (i.e. around 11.5 or so +/-). Unfortunately, third party manufacturers don't necessarily follow any particular standard other than the fact that inserts are metric threads. The tolerances on the bushings will vary ever so slightly, which end up being off by up to 1mm sometimes. What some people do to use bushings with a slightly smaller outer diameter is to shim the holes a bit. I've seen people use veneer, plumber's tape and even just plain old masking tape. But since height is a problem, that's not something you can remedy with that quick fix. Hope you can find the parts you need to finish your project!!!

megaman565 likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

This is why I just screw the new hardware into the pre-existing stock bushings whenever possible. Saves the next guy a ton of problems trying to sort out a gooch. The "advantages" of using TP or whoever's bushings don't out weigh the simplicity of using the stockers or the potential damage caused by pulling bushings.

megaman565 likes this.
  7. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Can we see what kind of side play you're talking about ? Pics ?

8. megaman565

megaman565 New Member

Think I found something that might work. Anyone have experience with Faber USA? I found a bushing on there that’s 12.25mm diameter and 21mm long. I traded a few emails with their support center for some added piece of mind. Great customer service! If anyone is curious, check out their website. Being a new member, it won’t let me post a link but it’s just faberusa dot you know what.

I’ll post back if these are a fit for closure’s sake. Thanks again everyone!

9. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

Yes!! Faber and TonePro are both fan favorites around here! Both great bridges!!

megaman565 likes this.
  10. Noodling Guitars

Noodling Guitars Member

Faber bushings definitely work. I've used their stuff a couple of times and it's a good fit. Not sure if it did anything tone-wise, but the parts were machined to a very nice fit - they'll pop in just fine with little to no tools. They also make all sorts of neat conversion posts if that kind of thing interests you, but yeah. Go for it! Definitely helpful customer service.

megaman565 likes this.
  11. megaman565

megaman565 New Member

The Faber bushings did the trick! All complete. Thanks everyone for the responses!

Edit: sorry, tried posting a pic from my iCloud library but am a total n00b at this
    [​IMG]

Noodling Guitars likes this.
  12. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

There you are

upload_2021-11-2_10-15-53.png

Nikki M and megaman565 like this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Awesome.