Split-Coil Mod with Epiphone PCB pots?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Imerkat, Oct 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Imerkat

Imerkat Well-Known Member

Anyone try this mod to fatten their split-coil mode?

The probuckers have this quick connect with PCB pot. Is it possible to splice a resistor in?

thanks,

imer

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's possible, though I'd need to have it in front of me so I can figure out the best method of attack that would cause the least destruction. What you want to do is interrupt the trace going to ground on the bottom lug (knob down) and use the resistor as a jumper to the body of the pot. You *could* try to do it pretty on the board, but I'm not sure if the tolerances of the holes will allow it - it'd also require you to get those holes cuh-leen to give yourself the best shot at fitting it.

Is it doable? Yeah, if you really wanted to. Would it be a metric Fadd9ton easier to just do it with a push pull that doesn't have a PCB welded to it's face in multiple points? Need you ask?

I *think* I saw an adapter harness kit out there that would allow you to use your own pots and keep the stock wiring otherwise - but it was probably for a Gibby and I only use Molex-y stuff on my Fenderish projects.

I like to think I'm pretty decent with an iron, and I do through hole PCB pedal projects fairly regularly: I'm saying this is one of those things I'd only try if I had conventional backup parts on hand (or a direct stock replacement for a clean hands exit) because the potential for a gooch is pretty high.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Imerkat likes this.
  3. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

Didn’t seem to be all that big of a change to warrant the mod. I just use a pedal on my board to boost the output when splitting a humbucker.

Really I have found better sounds using the volume knobs balancing the bridge pu in series and the neck pu split with the middle toggle position.

It also seemed like a bigger drop in volume on the PRS than on any Epi I have with a similar split coil function.

I love my Epi Trad 2 because it has a +9 boost on the neck volume push pull which compensates for the drop in volume for single coil.

it works great but it does push the single coil output up over the humbucker by about 3db.

I wish Epiphone would put those boost push/pulls as standard on guitars with split coils and make the boost match the humbucker output when in single coil mode.

Pat

Imerkat likes this.
  4. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

most coil taps are about 20% as useful/interesting sounding as a switch that allows you to go from pickup coils in series to coils in parallel.

at least to my ears. :lol:

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Seymour Duncan Triple Shot for the win! It does splits where either coil is selectable, as well as parallel / series.

6. Imerkat

Imerkat Well-Known Member

Got my Sheraton and after playing i think the controls are a little too far for me to comfortably use push-pull posts. Definitely still need to upgrade the harness since the pots are more like on/off switches.

7. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

Edit: I said the +9 boost on my Trad 2 was on the neck pickup volume knob.

It is in fact on the neck pickup tone control.

Pat

Imerkat likes this.