The Aimless Chat Thread

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Darkness, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Darkness

Darkness Active Member

Feel like chatting? Have something to talk about but don't want to make a thread? Did you eat something amazing or see a good movie and want us to know? Have a funny thought or see a good meme? Drop it in here. Consider this the break room.

John and soulman969 like this.
  2. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

We had a What’s for Dinner thread, but since @Stuart has taken a hiatus, it’s not active much. However, the bride and I are digging the hell out of the Great British Baking Show, at least during the BBC era. And, shifting gears (see what I did there?) if Max Verstappen hits Lewis Hamilton again, he should be banned, little smug mouthed bastard what makes me want to give him such a smack.

How’s that? :dude:

John and Darkness like this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

OK, who drank the last cuppa coffee and didn't make more. Ya' cretin! :mad:

Oh, and to whosever turn it is to bring donuts tomorrow. Lamarr's is way better than Dunkin' Donuts. ;)

John, Davis Sharp and Darkness like this.
  4. Darkness

Darkness Active Member

Ready?
    Set?
    BAKE!

My wife loves that show. For a while I would pass by and glance with no interest, one day I actually sat down with her to watch and found myself still there hours later. Quite an enjoyable show.

John and soulman969 like this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Dave or Sammy?

Obviously Dave is better than Sammy, but I'll take either over Gary.

John and Darkness like this.
  6. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

I was so excited when a DD opened near my house, as I loved the one in Cocoa Beach. As soon as they were going, I went in and ordered a Dunkin’ Donut, the cake donut with the knob of dough on one side making a handle for, well, dunkin’ that unbeknownst to me, they no longer offered. The kid behind the counter looked confused, and said they’re all Dunkin’ Donuts. I realized that 1) time marches on, 2) it was a stupid move to drop the signature offering, and 3) Dunkin’ Donuts are rubbish anymore.

Darkness and soulman969 like this.
  7. Darkness

Darkness Active Member

I've been craving donuts for a few days. I start work too early to get them.

soulman969 likes this.
  8. soulman969

Door Dash Delivers!!!! :dude: :rofl:

I know what you mean. My donut desire usually arrives while I'm at my supermarket restocking the larder. There they sit all nice and fresh in a glass case just beckoning to the unwary like the Sirens who lure sailors to the rocks. :ohno:

An even bigger problem is my addiction to carrot cake with sour cream frosting. I swear they know this and intentionally lay out an entire table of 5" square pieces of carrot cake priced buy one get one. No self-respecting addict can resist. :drool:

It's sheer torture and the bakery is right there on your left the minute you walk in the door. And if that's not enough the bastards put the produce aisle full of much healthier stuff 150' away on the opposite side of the store. Oh God help me. :D

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Digger and Darkness like this.
  9. Darkness

Darkness Active Member

You have a way with words @soulman969

I too have a weakness for carrot cake as well as German chocolate cake, lucky for me the latter is harder to find. My wife rolls her eyes when I try to sneak a carrot cake into the shopping cart.

I'm on day 3 of waiting for my new guitar. This feels like quiting coffee, its so hard not to think about and time passes slower. I now have to avoid youtube because this guy popped up in my feed. Ahh that tone!

soulman969 likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

1. So much so that I've never heard of the confection in question. It'd be like me walking into the diner in my hometown (2nd or 3rd owner since I left) and asking for the Carmel Roll that they carried 35 years ago that would cover a salad plate.
    2. Probably wasn't selling. Also the structural integrity of a donut handle? McDonald's got used for selling hot coffee so draw your own conclusions.
    3. Most folks these days go for the coffee. I can't remember the last time I ordered anything besides the coffee.
    Number 3 seems to be a common thing, because in '18 they rebranded to "Dunkin".

I do much prefer their coffee to Starbucks, but having my druthers I'd go for Caribou Coffee - unfortunately that's a Minnesota thing for me.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  11. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

@Raiyn, here ya go, and they were top sellers. This was the namesake for the restaurant. I quit Starbucks when they started burning the beans, about 12 years iirc. And I understand DD coffee is good, but ours in in a location that three cars constitute gridlock, so it’s way inconvenient.
    53E62103-9ECE-42BC-A94B-F8B4DBFB63E1.jpeg

soulman969 likes this.
  12. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

https://www.bigbearsdonuts.com.au

This mob has recently started marketing great donuts in our area but they don’t have a retail outlet. They are 4 times the size of normal donuts and have to be ordered in advance and picked up from a number of designated points around the area. My mate and I are organising a shared box and a pig-out in a nice park somewhere! We don’t have many options out here in the bush~

Darkness and soulman969 like this.
  13. soulman969

Ha ha, yeah and it's usually that I use too many.

I once had a girl friend who pointed this out to me by telling me that I'm like a guy who when asked what time it is would give a dissertation on how a watch is made. :rofl:

Darkness likes this.
  14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Huh, never saw one before. I'm more of a simple cake donut guy, or a strawberry glazed with sprinkles.

15. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

They were cake or sugared cake. Never glazed.

Darkness likes this.
  16. John

John Well-Known Member

pretzel.jpg

soulman969 and Darkness like this.
  17. imnotcreative

imnotcreative Active Member

WEEKEND!!!
    Time for a nice dram of single malt

soulman969, Davis Sharp and Darkness like this.
  18. Darkness

Darkness Active Member

My wife asked me this morning when my guitar will get here. I told her I have no clue, its still being made in China most likely. She asked how much it was and I told her $450. $450??? The video we watched said $399, why are you paying $450?

Oh honey, those guys were in the UK. Its £399 but here in the States its $450.
    :D

soulman969 and Davis Sharp like this.
  19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Gotta love exchange rates.

Darkness likes this.
  20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I’m on my third month of a new diabetes drug called Trulicity and whilst it’s doing wonders for my sugar control, I can’t drink, everything tastes foul! I used to enjoy a light beer every night and love Scotch whiskey. No more sadly and I have a good stock which I may have to give to my sons.

Water and green tea is fine but I feel like there is something I am missing!

soulman969, imnotcreative and Paruwi like this.