The Aimless Chat Thread

Darkness

Reaction score
My guitar has made it to California, hope it doesn't take a 3 day vacation here like the last one. Looks like its heading to LA, the land of traffic. Fingers crossed it shows up today so it can acclimate and be played this weekend.

It's interesting how anxious we can get about something we have lived without for so long, but suddenly must have asap.

Darkness

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. I finished it last night and I'm just summoning up the will to do the post.
I look forward to it. I haven't been too interested in the fender lineup but I am becoming very intrigued by the Jaguars recently. Hope things turned out well.

Darkness

Reaction score
I was just watching La Bamba and noticed a white arch top at the beginning. A little later Ritchey was playing it and I thought it looked like an Epi. I did some research, it was! Epiphone Ritz from the 40s.

Otto99

Reaction score
Apart from the usual patter, like good bird, pretty bird, hello, etc., I’m ever so proud to say Bjird has mastered “Ass deep in Romulans,” a quote from Star Trek: Picard, “Live long and prosper,” and “And this bird you cannot change” because we want him to always feel he’s a…

…wait for it…
Free bird. :dude::dude::dude::rofl:

Darkness

Reaction score
Hey I've been upgraded to a well known member! Thanks!

I realized today that the more I play and the better I get, the more I want to play.

My wife and I are both working from home still, and if she has a meeting and I have a meeting at the same time, I will often take it on my phone and head outside of our office room. Today I was doing a call from my living room couch and reached for my Guild mid-meeting, then realized I'm still in a meeting. :shock: glad I didn't play it at least.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Hey I've been upgraded to a well known member! Thanks!

I realized today that the more I play and the better I get, the more I want to play.

My wife and I are both working from home still, and if she has a meeting and I have a meeting at the same time, I will often take it on my phone and head outside of our office room. Today I was doing a call from my living room couch and reached for my Guild mid-meeting, then realized I'm still in a meeting. :shock: glad I didn't play it at least.
At least it was a phone meeting and not a Zoom conference.

Darkness

Reaction score
At least it was a phone meeting and not a Zoom conference.
Oh no, it was a zoom and I had my phone on the coffee table doing the video. I think because it typically just shows who is talking (unless you add the sidebar of participants) nobody saw me grab my guitar.

If I started playing, that little "how was your meeting?" pop up at the end would get a lot of thumbs down. :D

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Oh no, it was a zoom and I had my phone on the coffee table doing the video. I think because it typically just shows who is talking (unless you add the sidebar of participants) nobody saw me grab my guitar.

If I started playing, that little "how was your meeting?" pop up at the end would get a lot of thumbs down. :D

Depends on your settings, speaker view vs gallery view. If others have it on gallery view, they would have seen you. My Martin is on the wall behind me in all my Zoom meetings.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Depends on your settings, speaker view vs gallery view. If others have it on gallery view, they would have seen you.
:laugh2:

In all honesty, Zoom chats have been a godsend. With Mom dying during the rise of pre-vax Covid my sister (who has Downs) has been using Zoom daily to contact me or SWMBO. It was her established routine to call Mom after dinner, and now that she's not around, the Zoom call gives her more than a phone call ever could. It's not being there, but it's pretty damn good.

Darkness

Reaction score
Stopped into the local guitar shop to see what they've got. Saw a few Guilds that I've been curious about. Unfortunately both were way out of tune and I didn't have a tuner app, no signal either. I played them anyway. The Bob Marley sounded okay, felt like paper it was so light. They had a jumbo acoustic too, that sounded pretty good.

I played a 2800 Taylor, sounded beautiful. Then I set that down and noticed a black Epiphone dr100. Funny enough, out of everything I played that was in tune and action was perfect. Played beautifully, I guess I love cheap.

I also saw this poor old guy and played it acoustically. Its been through a hard life. It had questionable hardware, lots of scuffs, wiring was looking... tangled, but it sounded really nice. I considered picking it up IF I could talk them down on the price, but then I noticed some weird stuff. The serial on the label was destroyed, and when I looked at the back ot the headstock the word "used" was imprinted rather than a serial number
The odd part was it didn't affect the finish. Maybe refinished?
Screenshot_20220209-174341_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Stopped into the local guitar shop to see what they've got. Saw a few Guilds that I've been curious about. Unfortunately both were way out of tune and I didn't have a tuner app, no signal either. I played them anyway. The Bob Marley sounded okay, felt like paper it was so light. They had a jumbo acoustic too, that sounded pretty good.

I played a 2800 Taylor, sounded beautiful. Then I set that down and noticed a black Epiphone dr100. Funny enough, out of everything I played that was in tune and action was perfect. Played beautifully, I guess I love cheap.

I also saw this poor old guy and played it acoustically. Its been through a hard life. It had questionable hardware, lots of scuffs, wiring was looking... tangled, but it sounded really nice. I considered picking it up IF I could talk them down on the price, but then I noticed some weird stuff. The serial on the label was destroyed, and when I looked at the back ot the headstock the word "used" was imprinted rather than a serial number
The odd part was it didn't affect the finish. Maybe refinished?
View attachment 16774

MIRC refurbished. The serial number is intentionally defaced and the stamp is normal. I have a refurb Squier Tele. Plays great.

What's up with the bridge and pickguard?

Darkness

Reaction score
MIRC refurbished. The serial number is intentionally defaced and the stamp is normal. I have a refurb Squier Tele. Plays great.

What's up with the bridge and pickguard?
Good to know, I figured it was some sort of refurb. If that guitar was refurbished it had a hard life after too haha.

The guard was falling off. It didn't look original from the janky brackets and bolts holding it (which I finger tightened just to play it). Bridge I'm not sure about, I thought it looked like a funny mustache. It reminded me of j200s or doves. Now that I looked up pics of the guitar I see it isn't original and nor is the tailpiece.

I just found it on their site, amazing how it looks in pro photos.
https://www.instrumentalmusic.com/product/40193/used-epiphone-joe-pass-with-hard-case

Darkness

Reaction score
I've been wanting a cheaper LP. I have an order open for the p90 special, but that has been on back order since November. I noticed GC has a sale on Trad Pro iv for $399... hmm. I have a $75 gift card from GC. Interested. Oh whats this? They come in a gold top with satin neck/back? I'm in!

Oh whats that? Black/blue/cherry are on sale but not the Goldie? Well damn it.

Darkness

Reaction score
When I picked up the Trad IV I made one mistake. I didn't buy a case. It sits on a stand in my living room beside an amp, plugged in and ready to play. Humidity stays in the appropriate range thanks to a nearby fish tank (confirmed by a hygrometer).

Problem is I have been working from home since the pandemic started and every time I walk by to refill my coffee or water, I see it. It calls me. "Hey, having a busy day huh? Must be stressful. Come sit down and play me for a bit, that will cheer you up!"

I must resist, but sometimes I can't.

Raiyn

Reaction score
When I picked up the Trad IV I made one mistake. I didn't buy a case.
That'd be a big no-no down here. Multiple grabasstic furballs running amok would end that guitar's whole career without even a meow.

Darkness

Reaction score
That'd be a big no-no down here. Multiple grabasstic furballs running amok would end that guitar's whole career without even a meow.
My dogs don't mess with the guitar unless I'm playing it. My dog just puts his paw on the strings as if he learned how to mute it, or maybe he's trying to learn the cowboy chords.

Latest posts