The further adventures of scotchbrite

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Fullmoon 1971, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 Well-Known Member

After completing the 2020 Les Paul Special deglossing see 2020 Les Paul Special meets Scotchbrite I decided to have a go at a couple of my other guitars to rid them of their plastic looking finishes. I also decided to finally finish off some of the mods to a couple of them. My son and I have been using lockdown to handbuild or own range of pickups, all the following feature our creations.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you satin collection.

First on the block was my 08 Korina Flying V, shes had a hard life and was devoid of most of her gold plating (especially on the tailpiece)
    [​IMG]
    First stripped all hardware, then scotchbrited the entire body and neck (minus headstock face). Nylon nut fitted and rewired with quality wire and Bournes pots, PIO Capacitor and our own pickups and aged knobs
    VGR Custom "KHS" bridge pickup (Alnico II)
    VGR Custom "KHS" neck pickup (Alnico III)

Next up was my old G310, my son has a thing for Joan Jetts melody maker so we decided to follow a similar route.
    [​IMG]
    Again stripped of all hardware, then scotchbrited the entire body and neck (minus headstock face). Neck was then glued to body forming a set neck. Black GrapTech xp nut fitted and rewired with quality wire and Bournes pots, PIO Capacitor and our own pickups and kill switch, mismatched knobs.
    VGR Custom "61" Bridge pickup (Unoriented Alnico V) wired straight to output
    VGR Custom "59s" Neck pickup (Alnico III) blendable with bridge pickup

Lastly (for now) came the twins
    These are both 2011 satin finished guitars so we just scotchbrited the pickguards - should of wiped the guards but my son took the pictures.

[​IMG]
    Scotchbrited pickguard then neck was then glued to body forming a set neck. Nylon nut fitted and rewired with quality wire and Bournes pots, PIO Capacitor and our own pickup and aged knobs.
    VGR Custom "59c" Humbucker (Alnico III)

Some of you will remember this guitar (its had a couple of variations - now finished)
    [​IMG]
    Scotchbrited pickguard then neck was then glued to body forming a set neck. Black GrapTech xl nut fitted and rewired with quality wire and Bournes pots, PIO Capacitor and our own pickup and aged knobs.
    The bridge is a aluminium wraparound of a VOX SDC-55 I used to have.

VGR Custom "Dual" Humbucker (Alnico III Slugs & UOA5 Magnets) mounted backwards

The pickup is essentially two singlecoils wired as a humbucker, it uses A5 slugs like a strat pickup while the screw coil has 2 specially made unoriented alnico 3 magnets, one on each side of the steel screws, so acts like a smaller p90. The sound of the these combined coils has all the sweetness of a p90 coupled with the power of a humbucker. My son calls it the Duality.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  2. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Looks great. I've done the necks on a couple of mine. Do you go in a circular motion when you do the bodies?

Paruwi likes this.
  3. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

Great work :thumb::applause::thumb:

Nice voxy tailpiece :wow:

IIRC I've seen them on Vox guitars some years ago

Fullmoon 1971 likes this.
  4. Steven Westberg

Steven Westberg Well-Known Member

Man that’s a lot of work! Great job!

5. Fullmoon 1971

Yeah just go slow and steady with small circular motions and real easy

Supersonic likes this.
  6. Fullmoon 1971

Yeah she works great, amended post because I forgot to list the bridge:facepalm:

Paruwi likes this.
  7. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

NICE ! I always liked that bridge.