The Right Clean Amp

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by The Convert, Feb 24, 2021.

1. TheKat

TheKat Member

Many thanks, @Davis Sharp . Spared me an angry answer, but maybe time to put someone on the ignore list again.

2. The Convert

The Convert Well-Known Member

it’s cool. Like Davis said, I’ve not posted on this thread since the start.

Davis was close to the mark. I appreciate the good suggestions. I’m locked in analysis paralysis.

the Twin is ideal, a bit pricey, but just a beast for my needs.

the Vox is enticing for its many flavors, but isn’t ideal for the stated goal.

the Supra has sort of a mystical allure. Probably the same headroom challenge as the vox, but damn I love Page.

EDIT: I’ve owned the Tweaker 15 twice. I really like it, but never quite loved it. Also I do really want onboard spring and trem.

I think I’m working on accepting that my best choice is probably a Princeton...probably with a blue replacing the crummy IMO Celestion 10-30 speaker.

well all that and having broken a tooth and having to come up with oral surgeon money

it sucks when real life gets in the way.

Thanks again all...good to know you’ve got my back, Raiyn. :)

Davis Sharp, soulman969 and TheKat like this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Always.
    That question just struck me as beyond rude, especially given all the B.S. in the world.
    The phrasing, bold lettering, lack of any pretext for the question, and lack of any emoji / any indication of humorous intent led to my reaction.
    That's just not a question you just ask.

The Convert likes this.
  4. TheKat

TheKat Member

I checked that @The Convert was in the forum today before I posted. The last I wanted was the chance that I accidentally got too near some thruth. Sometimes you have some weird ideas ... which is why you are exactly the right person to ignore. Done. Again.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If you had, you wouldn't have asked such a tasteless question.
    Why you think I (or anyone) care(s) this time (or the last time) is beyond me.

Back to the topic at hand: I've been enjoying the clean on my Katana MK1 mixed with a bit of chorus from my Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus (the smaller paw print one, not my other big 18v model)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  6. The Convert

im a person who has some impulsivity and assertion challenges. I know I rub some people the wrong way. Sometimes I can be aware enough to apologize. Other times not. Sometimes I need a break. Often times when I find I need a break from one person, I come to find I wasn’t doing my best either,

I think any community is like any relationship. It takes work. You have to try to listen when all you want to do is talk. It’s hard to accept that a disagreement is about the idea or behavior, not the identity of the person. I don’t believe there’s anyone I can’t work with, though I won’t accept some behaviors.

I suppose this is the long way of saying, I think the community is better with more voices. Maybe someday you’ll reconsider not the person, but the value of the things that are helpful instead of those that rub the wrong way.

anyways thanks again for the advice. I hope my little suggestion here might be helpful. Or not. I mean, who am i anyways?

7. TheKat

TheKat Member

Well, I just chose a naughty (perhaps a bit too naughty) way of saying: I wonder what the thread starter thinks of what we said. And you didn't need to comply - just a short answer like "Thanks for your suggestions, I'm thinking about them" would have been more than enough.

Sorry if that did more to you than I intended.

I hope we can conclude it with this, because I think this has caused much more hassle than it needed.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

OK.....then work harder at it will ya? LOLOL :cheers:

Davis Sharp and Jack Fossett like this.
  9. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Ya’ll need to lighten up a bit! I swear, near every thread has some sort of argument or divisive comment(s). @Raiyn, you don’t always need to be right man. I get you have good intentions, but you’re involved in most of these instances. I am too, so I’m not saying I’m perfect either. Sorry. Rant over. Edit: I just want to see this forum stay fun and informative, like it’s been since it was started! We have a good community and I’d hate to see that go away and become more like MLP.

That out of the way, I’ve recommended the Vox AC15c1 time and time again! It has great harmonic content and is super pick sensitive. It takes pedals well through the front end too!

soulman969 likes this.
  10. soulman969

That's where having a SS with great cleans like the Roland JC120 or the Blues Cubes comes in handy. They sound great at any volume and also have the juice to handle club gigs without even breaking a sweat.

You can't go wrong with a Princeton or Deluxe either but they lack that floating on a cloud like cushiness, incredible transparency, and depth of a Twin. IME Twins are just very singular sounding amps in that way.

TheKat and IGRocker like this.
  11. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Agreed! Nearly all tube amps need turned up past the usual bedroom volume to sound best.

soulman969 likes this.
  12. Old Woody

Old Woody Active Member

We can all somewhat agree that the Fender Twin Reverb and the Roland Jazz Chorus are the top choices for tube and solid state clean tones ,but they are loud so I suggest buying a Universal Audio OX attenuator. If you shop around you could get all three for under three grand. Hey and look on the bright side if you get tired of the twin reverb I'm sure Joe Bonamassa will buy it from you. :)

13. The Convert

Yep. I own a UA OX. It's as good as they come, I think, but not magic. They do change the tone a little (like any attenuator I've used).

The twin is just such a beast though. So much power I'll never need and it weighs like 80 lbs. Even my Blues Deluxe is pretty damned heavy.

IGRocker likes this.
  14. Mr Hockey

Mr Hockey New Member

I think a Fender Princeton Reverb will fill your requirements. :cheers:

Caddy likes this.
  15. Bradley D. Lyons

Bradley D. Lyons Well-Known Member

Clean? A Twin Reverb or a Plexi with the gain turned down (no more than 5 on the dial).

16. Is thatta Bouzouki?

Is thatta Bouzouki? New Member

Yep. I have the Princeton with the 12" Cannabis Rex. It gives beautiful cleans, sans icepickiness. When I want a more intense high treble, I run it to a 2x12 cab with different speakers. Through the C.Rex, you lose the icepicks, but you lose a little sparkle as well, so there is a trade-off in that regard. I got the C.Rex b/c I play a lot of jazz. One thing about that speaker: it takes a long while for it to open up, to relax and get more responsive, so you have to play it a while before you can make a judgment as its suitedness for your needs. As for the Princeton, it's a great amp, but not powerful enough obviously for all applications. It's - what - 17 watts? Something like that.

soulman969 and Davis Sharp like this.
  17. soulman969

Agreed, hemp cone speakers like a CRex take a bit longer to break in completely. One version of a Princeton is just 12w while another is 15w I believe. But with the sensitivity of a CRex at nearly 102dB you can coax some pretty good volume out of one. Just not a ton of excess headroom is all.

I found another Emi speaker I just installed and am really liking. It's the Josh Smith model JS-1250. It would remind some of a CRex but a bit more balanced and with excellent high end clarity without any shrill or icy highs. He worked with Eminence on blending the characteristics of the Wizard and Tonespotter with some Alnico chime and grittiness.

Very smooth across the board. Nice round bottom end, strong mids, and crisp highs. Great for blues, r&b/soul, jazz and classic rock. Sounded incredibly good right out of the box which is rare.

18. John Huff

John Huff New Member

I love the Twin Reverb sound but my back just isn't up to moving it around. I play in a blues duo in small venues so such a big amp is inappropriate. My solution? A Tech21 Blonde preamp through a Blackstar HT5R 5W amp. It gives me a whole range of Fender sounds in a setup I can lift, transport and use. True, I miss out on the lush reverb but hey, life's about compromise and at the age of 70 I can live with that. My Epi Riviera Custom P93 sounds fantastic through the setup and I'm a happy boy!

IGRocker, Davis Sharp and grinwer like this.
  19. grinwer

grinwer Active Member

hmm, I'm wondering. what is the second musical instrument?

20. John Huff

John Huff New Member

Bass, with an Alesis drum machine. The venues here are few and tiny, so live drums would be too much in size and volume. It's not for the purist, but it works for us. We play classic 50s and 60s blues.

grinwer likes this.