VOX Pathfinder 10

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Darkness, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Darkness

Darkness Well-Known Member

Yes Tuco, there is a new dog in the house.
    No Tuco, you can't play with him, sorry.
    Screenshot_20211016-124213_Gallery.jpg

I live in a pretty small 2 story house. I've grown tired of lugging my VTX40 up and down the stairs depending on where I want to play- first world problems, I know. I also thought it would be nice to have a lower wattage small amp for my neighbors sake since I tend to play in the evenings after 8.

I have grown to love my VTX40 so I stuck with VOX and picked up their rather adorable little Pathfinder 10. I was a bit skeptical on how a 6.5" speaker would do with 10 watts. I'm very new to guitars but not new to amplified speakers, 10 watts through a speaker that small didn't give me high hopes.

It showed up today, I plugged in and fiddled with the knobs. For the first 30 minutes I was a bit disappointed, but then something happened... It came to life... I don't know if there is a break in on these things but it really woke up and sounded great. It won't rattle any windows like my VTX40 but thats the idea, it's plenty loud to fill my living room and only the size of a large shoebox. Sweet little deal for $110. I love the clean sounds very much. I haven't messed with the overdrive button yet, I'll report back once I do.

The classic diamond pattern is different from the one on my other amp. This has a 3d effect with the thread colors. Makes it look a bit blurry, kind of psychedelic.
    Screenshot_20211016-124226_Gallery.jpg

Simple control layout. Compared to the complicated VTX40 this is very appreciated. The handle is a bit cheesy, a leather strap or something not glossy would be nicer but at this price who cares as long as its durable.
    Screenshot_20211016-124252_Gallery.jpg

And the little British bulldog, heavy duty indeed
    Screenshot_20211016-124243_Gallery.jpg

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Congrats! I have the same amp in British Racing Green with the faded Union Jack grill cloth and it's great little amp. Only thing I'm not crazy about is the overdrive mode but the clean channel sounds fantastic.

There is apparently a pretty popular mod that lots of people do to these called the LED mod. I haven't done it to mine but I'm strongly thinking about it. I guess inside there are 2 LED lights by the overdrive switch and if you clip them off it takes the limiter out of the signal and 'opens it up' meaning more volume/headroom. You can desolder them but it supposedly works the same if you just clip them off. I have no business fiddling around inside an amp but this mod seems so easy that I could probably do it. Search Google for 'Vox Pathfinder 10 LED mod' and I'm sure you'll find a better explanation than mine. Just something to think about.

HNAD and enjoy!

Paruwi and Darkness like this.
  3. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Member

I've got one too...it's a brilliant little bedroom amp. My main practice amp is now a Spark 40, but when I want simple, clean and quick, the Pathfinder gets the nod. It can't reproduce the chime and crunch of my AC10C1, but the clean channel is very respectable for that Vox tone. Of all the little practice amps out there, I think this one has the best looks too.

Darkness likes this.
  4. Darkness

I saw mentions of this on a few videos. It's much as you described. I probably won't do it, I think it gets as loud as I need.

Paruwi and Supersonic like this.
  5. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

I probably won't do it either, just because I'm too lazy.

Paruwi and Darkness like this.
  6. Darkness

I've played on it for a few days now. Still happy. I did play around with the overdrive button. It seems the best way to use it is to drop the gain to zero or slightly up from zero, then turn the bass down and adjust volume. Then it has some pretty cool tones. I haven't played on my VTX40 since I got this, it's such a nice little amp.

7. Charles

Charles Member

I have one as well. I use it with an Orange Crush 12 as a stereo rig with my Boss G-1.

0831210203a~3.jpg

8. Epiphreak

Epiphreak New Member

Mr. Darkness:
    I had a similar problem; I lived on the second floor but moved down to the first floor, but that's another story! Ha-ha! Enjoy and have a nice day!

Darkness likes this.