What are those sellers smoking ?

Charles Carter

Reaction score
This is currently listed on a local site.
Based on Reverb prices it's a bit OTT. Converts to about $1800 US.
Seems a lot for a guitar that reviews generally seem to bag, could be an expensive wall hanger?

Epi on TradeMe.jpg

Raiyn

Reaction score
This is currently listed on a local site.
Based on Reverb prices it's a bit OTT. Converts to about $1800 US.
Seems a lot for a guitar that reviews generally seem to bag, could be an expensive wall hanger?

View attachment 19014
$1800 USD for a 70's Epi? I suppose they're banking on the "vintage" fairy to bless them?

Reaction score
Being a noob I really wanted a used guitar but this is part of why I bought a new guitar.

In California people somehow think used (and not even rare) is more valuable than new. I kept seeing Slash lp asking $300 and up, for just the guitar and none of the kit that it came with. Thats $250 all day new for the whole kit. 50s and 60s lp are selling for upwards of $500 with plenty of wear when a brand new is $600.

Whenever I saw a deal or fair priced guitar it was always a color I wouldn't want to live with. I considered buying a junker and stripping it but I have more projects than time lately.
if you keep an eye out on reverb ppl sell older Epi LPs with upgrades all the time. i almost bought a turquoise burst with james hetfield EMGs for $350. its unfortunate for sellers but upgrades dont carry a huge resale when sold with a guitar as a whole (although alot of seller refuse to believe that) the deals are out there though

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
if you keep an eye out on reverb ppl sell older Epi LPs with upgrades all the time. i almost bought a turquoise burst with james hetfield EMGs for $350. its unfortunate for sellers but upgrades dont carry a huge resale when sold with a guitar as a whole (although alot of seller refuse to believe that) the deals are out there though
True dat. The buyer has to actually want them and even then they may only be worth 50 cents on the dollar. I once offered my CV JBass with over $300 worth of upgrades for just under $500. Got no offers.

Took the Bill Lawrence J45 pickups and Babicz FCH Bridge off and sold the stock bass for $400. Go figure. The nice thing is I was able to keep those upgrades to install on the half price CV JBass I just bought.

To a buyer they may be worth little or nothing but I know how much better they made the first CV and how much better they'll make this one. I have a similar set up on my Matt Freeman PBass too. I'll never get it by selling them but those two basses are worth more than twice what I have in them by far. Not unless someone else appreciates the changes.

Reaction score
True dat. The buyer has to actually want them and even then they may only be worth 50 cents on the dollar. I once offered my CV JBass with over $300 worth of upgrades for just under $500. Got no offers.

Took the Bill Lawrence J45 pickups and Babicz FCH Bridge off and sold the stock bass for $400. Go figure. The nice thing is I was able to keep those upgrades to install on the half price CV JBass I just bought.

To a buyer they may be worth little or nothing but I know how much better they made the first CV and how much better they'll make this one. I have a similar set up on my Matt Freeman PBass too. I'll never get it by selling them but those two basses are worth more than twice what I have in them by far. Not unless someone else appreciates the changes.
i feel like youre better off just selling aftermarket stuff part by part.

Raiyn

Reaction score
its unfortunate for sellers but upgrades dont carry a huge resale when sold with a guitar as a whole (although alot of seller refuse to believe that)
Good thing for me I don't care about resell value. My axes are modded how I want them and will be passed on to family and friends after I end up in the Folgers can. What happens after that... probably isn't gonna matter too much to me.

Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Good thing for me, I don't care about resell value. My axes are modded how I want them and will be passed on to family and friends after I end up in the Folgers can. What happens after that... probably isn't gonna matter too much to me.
Aw come on. If you give 'em all those guitar they oughta treat you better than to send you to Valhalla in a Folgers can. They should at least spring for LavAzza drink the coffee and leave the can for you. ;)

Raiyn

Reaction score
Aw come on. If you give 'em all those guitar they oughta treat you better than to send you to Valhalla in a Folgers can. They should at least spring for LavAzza drink the coffee and leave the can for you. ;)
Final resting spot.jpg
I already have the can, my late father drank the coffee years ago.

the best part of waking up.... is raiyn in your cup

i'll see myself out lmao
Probably wouldn't notice the difference if brewed in a percolator.

Raiyn

Reaction score
a man of ur guitar knowledge and stature belongs in a diamond crusted urn made of gold
Bruh, I'm just a guy online. My whole deal is that I don't buy into a lot of the hype.

I don't know everything, nor will I ever.

I prefer science to folklore. Unless you have evidence - you have opinion and we all know what opinions are like.

The Folgers can will do quite nicely and not contribute to the diamond scam business. :cheers:

Latest posts