What did I buy??

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Macd293, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Macd293

Macd293 New Member

Hello new around here, About two years ago I was cruising CL for a beater guitar. I found an ad for an MIJ epiphone for cheap, so I checked it out it felt solid so I bought it. Ad said wilshire ii but I cant find any info on it anywhere. I took it apart and found a serial number but no model name or anything. The pups say matsumoku. I was wondering if someone could tell me what it is that I bought and what they usually go for. Thanks in advance. Pics below

656C340D-EF3E-4DAA-8958-AE710F78AC40.jpeg 572DF8BA-E521-43CD-9FBD-EE4DB584EFCE.jpeg

ucsteve and Davis Sharp like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

3. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Paruwi likes this.
  4. Macd293

Macd293 New Member

Thanks for the reply and the link. were these a japan only model or soemthing ive seen a lot of other japanese epis on reverb but ive never seen this one. Any idea what they go for? heres a couple more pics

22F349D0-03CA-4D6C-9243-4685D541257F.jpeg 95E9AA3D-62A0-4BB4-A734-15D4D0FA429D.jpeg

5. Macd293

Macd293 New Member

120, it was the cheapest guitar posted in my cities CL at the time and it seemed solid so I picked it up. It was also like half a mile away from where I live.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Well-Known Member

Provided it's all in playable condition you got a bargain.

Matsumoku guitars from that era while not in any way fancy are quite good playing guitars with good quality pickups. I've never seen that model but I have played a few others and actually sold one on Reverb for a friend that was very similar to yours. It sold for $240.

There are those who seek and collect them and many I've seen will sell in the $200-$400 range so IMHO you found a good deal.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Davis Sharp likes this.
  7. ucsteve

ucsteve Member

I had a similiar thing with an Epi LP. Early in the lockdown I found a FB ad for a LP 120 bucks. SO i went and checked it out. turned out to be a weird bolt on with some sort of old replacement neck, open book style headstock. I was kinda on the fence about it when he threw in a LP JR for another 60 bucks. Then I got locked in the house for a long time with it, and well I tried a few things as you can see. Turns out that neck just needed the fret ends filed a bit, I threw the new Klussen style tuners I pulled from the orig 50s goldtop I just got(went grover locking there). I really like that neck. Body is heavy as f*ck to start with, serious wood under there for a bolt on. Routed out for a middle p/u, threw one of the orig HB in there while I wait for a P90, took the p/u's out of my 2002 LP (i put the probuckers from the goldtop in the 2002)
    put those in neck and bridge. We also rigged the eye with a battery LED. I was gonna refinish the whole thing, but as you can see all the under layers of paint came out when i started sanding and well, i guess I got a bit carried a way. Made sense almost to keep the Dali and try some weird shit. The Dali is a lot of fun to play now tho heh.
    oh and i threw some new Seymour Duncans in the Goldtop I wanted to try 2 ugli epis.jpg dali 1st run.jpg 20200711_133419.jpg 20200711_133456.jpg FUGLIO no 1.jpg bloodburst-goldtop post mods.jpg

Rick Davey likes this.
  8. Rick Davey

Rick Davey Member

Very extremely cool guitars.

We'll never see another guitar like that Dali.

ucsteve likes this.
  9. ucsteve

ucsteve Member

very true heh. and the Tele im working on will look nothing like The Dali ha
    cant wait to get a P90 in that middle slot

Rick Davey likes this.
  10. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

That is a seriously nice job you did there. Lots of guts and it pays big time. I love it !

[​IMG]

ucsteve likes this.
  11. ucsteve

ucsteve Member

Quite a learning experience. I just ordered the P90 for the middle slot. Ill try to mount that one straight-ish ha. I never considered the raised surface (theres all kinds of stuff in that finish) having a major impact on setting the p/u rings, duh. I love the neck on this thing too, whatever the hell it is.
    AFter im done with the Tele, The Larry is prob next for some sort of affiction. larry too.jpg larry bass.jpg