What string gauge on your LP?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by tygr1, May 12, 2021.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

DSCN1368.JPG DSCN1366.JPG
    This is a typical SG TOM setup for me. The strings don't jump out of the saddles but the angle is as shallow as workable. Now here's where everyone gets to jump in: I think that the reason bends feel easier when the tp is raised is that there is less weight since the length of the string from bridge to tailpiece is reduced. My evidence: DSCN1335.JPG
    no break angle or string behind the bridge, easy bends, like whipped butter. lol.
    One of my peeves with most trems is all the unsprung weight behind the bridge.
    DSCN1278.JPG

Raiyn likes this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Conversely, my SG is decked.
    Decked.jpg
    Note that I still have a mile off the back of the bridge. (.070"+) My tailpiece is one of those GFS curved "locking" tailpieces that in reality is just thru-bolted to the guitar.
    I know I rail about the adjustability being a key component of the T.O.M. system, but in this specific case I can get away with it due to the neck angle on this guitar.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Biddlin likes this.
  3. Space1999

Space1999 Well-Known Member

Cool post! Yeah, I always just figured if you raised the TP it is just less tension on the strings. Of course you have to retune but the effect of the angle from TP to bridge is greater than the tuning correction. I guess...I’m no scientist.

What I am really interested in is that semi-hollow build job you have in that last picture. Did you post a build thread for that one? Its a very cool looking guitar.

Pat

4. Space1999

Uhhhh guys,

I thought I was buying a 6 pack of strings. I got one pack of strings. I went back to Amazon to see when the other 5 packs were coming....

The ad said 6 string not 6 pack, I just paid $40 for one pack of Elixir .11-.49 Optiwebs. :shock:

I...I...I...

Pat

5. Biddlin

smma5.jpg
    That is a stock 2012 Gibson N225, part of the Nighthawk line of designer guitars. I liked this model when I first saw one back in February 2012. The ebony gets a hand pinstripe job from Rick Harris over in Mt. Juliet TN. Its put over a satin finish. The body is "chambered" as opposed to semi-hollow, with two diamond cut "F" holes. The hardware is pretty straight forward, Plek cut nut and frets. It has a maple neck and rosewood board(I have no idea if its one piece or forty), nice block inlays and a split diamond on the headstock. The neck pickup is a P-90 and the bridge is a Dirtyfingers, with coil splitting. It is very versatile. I use it for jazz mostly but it's a dandy rocker, too.

Space1999 likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I trust you're in the process of quietly returning them right now?

7. Space1999

I.....uh....well what happened was...
    OK, OK, I put them on my LPC Koa.

Once I had them in my hands, I just couldn’t part with them.
    I hadn’t seen a pack of these strings since last year.

But I am a victim of price gouging right? Yeah, that’s it! It’s not my fault I’m so weak, I’m a victim of evil guitar string suppliers!

:lol:

8. Biddlin

When I was a shop tech I got used to paying wholesale prices for strings. When I went back out on the road I couldn't believe how expensive they were. I started buying in bulk after that and still do. When the pandemic closed down California I had 20 sets of electric strings 6 acoustic steel and 2 classical. That's held out nicely and I'm still pretty well set, but I've got a lot of electrics and four acoustics so I make sure to wipe down the strings and necks with Finger Ease after each session and If i don't open the case again for a couple of months the strings are always clean and ready to play.

Space1999 likes this.
  9. Space1999

I am a Finger Ease junkie. I also use a great neck conditioner called Lizard Spit. And I always polish them before I put them back.

Believe it or not this relatively inexpensive polish called
    Route 66 is a very good polish.

I buy in bulk from Sweetwater. I have had the same agent for going on 20 years. He treats me right.

Pat

10. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 Well-Known Member

I use 10-46 on my 24.5 - 24.75 inch scale length guitar and 9-42 on 25 -25.5 inch scale length, with a couple of exceptions.

Both 2001 PRS McCarty & Standard 22 fitted with 9 - 42 (original factory setup specs)

BC Rich eagle Is setup with 11 50 balanced tension strings (my main slide guitar)

Maverick JR-4 loaded with 12-52 (used for drop tunings- usually in drop C)

Harley Benton HB70 (brian may copy) & custom built Esquire fitted with Rev willy's 7- 38 sets (so I can still play even when my hands are playing up)

Biddlin and Space1999 like this.
  11. Biddlin

That's what I run on my Strat. Great strings for longer scale length.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Lotta hype on those... Might investigate for myself someday, or just habitually put the same strings on the same axes for the next ??? years.
    Who knows, if when I start taking outside business again, someone might bring something in with them.

Fullmoon 1971 likes this.
  13. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

I use them on my jazz box & love the tone. When I was a youngster, everybody used flats on everything electric.

14. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

And you can feel them under your fingers? I'm a tad ham-handed; those would probably break if I looked at them sideways.

Fullmoon 1971 and Space1999 like this.
  15. ErylT

ErylT New Member

16. ErylT

ErylT New Member

I got bit by the old bug, too, so started checking out what the other old guys, recording artists and studio players are using. I was blown away to come upon a string symposium, well known pickers, all using 9's. The younger converts reported feeling egg on their muzzles after declaring vociferously that, " there's no dang way...", then stringing up to prove their point..... and WHAAAAAT ? Even Stevie Ray moved to lighter strings, according to his road tech. The only thing I use SUPER JUMBOS for any more is to tether my bass boat....
    The other conversation that crept in was modin'. The studio guys used lots of, " off label," axes, including Epis, HB's, Firefly, yes go figure, Firefly; and they don't mess with 'em. If it's playable it's playable was their position. "It's the player, anyhow." But, got cash and time, have at 'er.
    I did switch out the pickups and pots on a Gibson LP Custom to authentic 57 humbuckers. The 490's ,' highs,' just sounded vacant, particularly on the Bridge. I learned the hard way that what's on the headstock doesn't confer what's under the hood.

17. Keith Claiborne

Keith Claiborne New Member

OUCH! You are one BAD man!!

18. Space1999

LOL, thanks. Believe it or not it tightened up my picking hand and I gained better control over my strumming patterns and I lost a lot of slop out of my picking.

Plus as an added benefit, my hand is now a portable WiFi hotspot. :rofl:

So the juice was worth the squeeze.

Pat

19. Biddlin

I just put a set of 7s on my Les Paul Custom. After adjusting the bridge height, trussrod and intonation, it is playable. The light touch I use on all of them just has to be a little lighter, lol. I'll report again after I play it a bit.

20. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

...not sure why I said D’Addario. I haven’t used them in 7+ years. I’ve been using GHS Boomers.