What to do...

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by NoBucks, Feb 25, 2019.

1. NoBucks

NoBucks Well-Known Member

Sooo...I was pawn shopping today...

[​IMG]

And I came across my white-whale Epiphone. It's a silver-burst Custom Classic, listed for $449, although, I'm sure I could get it for much less. Oh, and, btw, the previous owner upgraded the pickups to EMG's. On Amazon it's listing for $600 - $1k, and on eBay, for $600.

I have always wanted that silverburst body. I suppose I could pull the EMG pickups and recover 2/3's of the cost of the guitar, and put in what I want? Or, keep the EMG's and make it into a Metallica machine?

The shop also had a tobacco burst LP standard, and several other Epi LP's. I wouldn't mind having the tobacco burst standard, although, I would upgrade it too. So, if I'm going to change pickups anyway, maybe I should buy the tobacco and upgrade that, instead of buying the Classic?

Anyway, just wanting opinions...and should I sell one of my other LP's to finance this one?

You can see the tobacco burst Standard in the foreground of the pic.

Attached Files:

2. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I love the hue on a Tobacco LP.

Play them next time and get the one that speaks to you. I heard the Custom might have a fatter neck.

NoBucks likes this.
  3. NoBucks

I will be going back there tomorrow to play them. I'm torn between the silverburst, and the undoubtedly great pickups, and the great finish on the tobacco Standard.

How they sound? Not so much an issue, as, I'll likely sell the EMG's anyway, and the Standard, I'll likely upgrade the pickups.

How they feel? There's the rub, so to speak. Whichever speaks to me is more of a feel than a sound.

4. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

If the Standard is recent enough, there might be Probuckers in there and those are fabulous.

NoBucks likes this.
  5. NoBucks

I'll get the serial numbers on both tomorrow. Also, the Custom is a Custom PRO. I'm hoping the EMG's are set up for coil splitting. I forgot to check today.

6. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

The silver burst seem to have the EMG 57-66 or the Het set, you might like them. With that said, I would like the tobacco burst better.
    ....Or even better the tobacco with EMGs :applause:

NoBucks likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Based on these two extractions I have to ask: Why are you asking us? (We're just enablers after all.) It's obvious you dig it. If it feels right, get it. Don't worry about what pickups are in it or whatever - you'd change them out anyway.

8. NoBucks

So, you're saying...maybe both??? :h5:

I'm asking: 1) because I value your collective opinion... 2) I don't know what niche either guitar would fill? 3) It's not often that I fall into such a cool dilemma, and I wanted you all to share in my problem... :dude:

Even from a pawn shop, both guitars together is a $700 issue.

Alone, I could probably get the Classic PRO for $350-$400. If I sold the EMG's, and then replaced them with something good, that would mean I'd get the guitar for $200-$300?

The Standard I could get for <$300. And, yes, I like the tobacco finish (or, whatever it's actually called) best.

Shadow Explorer likes this.
  9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

How often do you see a silver burst in SD? Get the "white whale" before it's gone and you regret not buying it. If it disappoints you, sell it.

Edit: Remember, you regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did.

NoBucks likes this.
  10. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

I can tell you that the 57-66 set is very good, I have it on my guitar, and bought a second set for the soon to be built one.
    If it's the "het set" then I have no idea, the othe set I had was 81-85, and I'm not a fan of that, it's good for heavy stuff, but otherwise meh....

And yes why not both... if they are both good and you can afford them.
    You can definitely get 150$ back for the EMGS if you don't like them,
    I have payed close to 350 for a new set of them and 150$, for the other (mint condition, taken out from a new schecter, they were stamped late 2018).

So true. not only for guitars...

NoBucks likes this.
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

EXACTLY! A bit of a clean and polish and you could flip it for more.
    1. We're enablers - We're gonna tell you to buy at least one of them. :D Especially when you describe one as a "white whale". C'mon Ahab! Chuck that harpoon!
    2. Niche smiche, the guitar tells you the role it wants to play. Even two of the exact same model and batch can have completely different feels or "personalities". This one might wanna RAWK or it might be a bluesy feeling thing. Sound and feel are different things in my world, so you can't just say "EMG" and walk away.
    3. I'd prefer to share in the joy of a friend buying a sweet "white whale" axe (provided it feels right) and making it into something he'll treasure.
    :cheers:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    IGRocker and NoBucks like this.
  12. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

buy both.

NoBucks, Davis Sharp and Raiyn like this.
  13. DigitalDreams

DigitalDreams Well-Known Member

White whale.

NoBucks and Davis Sharp like this.
  14. NoBucks

I went back today and grabbed a couple more pics. I do love the Stand burst, but, as noted, the silverburst is what I want. They also have a red Studio LP and a Goth LP, both very clean.

I've given myself a deadline of the end of the week to make up my mind.

04.jpg
    The Silverburst Custom Pro S/N.
    It also comes with a hard case.

03.jpg
    The Standard. It's VERY clean, but costs a little more than I remembered from yesterday: $350

02.jpg
    Standard S/N

15. Steven Howes

Steven Howes Active Member

Good lord! where do you live that a pawn shop has 4 epis I would want to checkout/buy? I haven't been in awhile, but the last time I was out my local pawn had a dot for sale for $599... New they are $619. that was the only epi. All the rest were First act, and Jay Tursers. No wonder I down't have GAS...

NoBucks likes this.
  16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Preach!

I'd be looking at the Goth for sure.

NoBucks likes this.
  17. NoBucks

I’ll get some pics of the Goth tomorrow...

Still not sure what I’m going to do.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota has a very active pawn scene. But, yes, I was very surprised to see four premium Epi’s In one place.

The Studio is identical to my cherry Studio LP, with the exception of my upgrades. They also have an Epi Special II, and an Epi LP100 that I traded to another pawn shop to get my Bugera V22 tube amp!

If anyone is interested in any of the above let me know and I’ll see what we can do.

Shadow Explorer likes this.
  18. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

The shops pawn each other ? Yikes !

19. NoBucks

No, people buy one at one shop and then trade it later at a different one, I assume. There’s an acoustic that shows up at different pawn shops on a regular basis. One of the shop owners pointed it out to me a few years ago and I’ve seen it a few times since in different shops.

My first electric was a Dean Vendetta. I sold it on CL a couple years ago, and I’ve seen it in a couple different pawn shops since.

20. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Close knit market then :)

NoBucks likes this.