Where’s Lancpudin?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Strange sight of cruise ships anchored up in Weymouth bay off the Dorset coast due to nobody taking cruise holidays any more. They can anchor up for free there apparently.
    Another sign of the times is Coach tour operators are going under at an alarming rate here with lots of job losses. :frown:
    The travel industry is taking a huge hit with this Covd-19.

2. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

My daughter and son in law bought a 57 seat bus for a very good price yesterday....I wonder if a cruise ship is next?

They plan on converting it into a mobile holiday home over the next 12 months.

Shopping yesterday....sigh~

3. Lancpudn

That sounds like a cool project, LOL I think some cruise ships will be for sale on ebay :D before much longer, The Firth of Forth up in Scotland has got a lot of the Norwegian Olsen cruise liners anchored up there too.

There are dozens more cruise liners anchored up around the Caribbean with 57000 crew still on board them :wow:

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

There are a LOT of videos on the subject on YouTube. I noticed them a couple years ago.

Digger likes this.
  5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

We had a day stuck on the ship in the Forth of Forth and I can describe the bridge and harbour seals very clearly if you like.

Seems like we got that trip out of the way just in time~

We’ve only had one conversation with the kids about the bus conversion and no doubt I’ll be able to share photos of it’s progress with you in months ahead.

Taking the remnants of my 3 destroyed guns into the police station today to get them taken off my licence. It was a very hot fire looking at what it did to them. I’m sick of waiting for the Regional Firearms Officer to come out here! Then I need to go to the guns shop and see whats happening with my new gun. It’s taking it’s time!

6. Lancpudn

Looks like I'll be re-turfing the areas on the front lawn today with what my missus brought home from shopping yesterday afternoon :shock:

[​IMG]

Still no compost in the gardening stores :dunno:, the main compost suppliers are in Ireland and nobodies sure if the companies are still on furlough or not.
    The Irish compost I ordered in mid March still hasn't shown up :frown: Anywho it was easier to get hold of some turf so I'll be doing that job today.:thumb:

Digger likes this.
  7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Old guns gone, new gun still coming and problems with pricing of prescriptions saw me get a $94 refund for the overcharge. Govt has reduced safety net from 60 scripts down to 48 and I hit that mark today. We pay nothing for scripts now until next year. DVA refunds me what I’ve already paid anyway, given my highest disability status.

We are OK (finally) to go down the coast as of 1 June and our mates are all going. I’m a bit crook right now but still have time to improve, otherwise I'll be better here. See how it goes.

8. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

New split system A/C goes on today.

9. Lancpudn

I've been talking to more & more people of my age group who want to set up an online account to get their meds delivered to them instead of queuing up outside the pharmacy with a prescription to collect them.

Our local chemist decided it wasn't going to deliver meds whilst these restrictions were on so I made an account with a online chemist 'Pharmacy2U' to get both our meds delivered free of charge, it doesn't cost pensioners anything.

Both our meds were delivered bang on time we asked for.

Mmmm! mushy peas! I'll have to make some more pasties to go with those :thumb: I nopticed a fresh supply of "cheat" pastry in the fridge :dude:
    [​IMG]

Just been reading that Non essential shops businesses here will re-open on the 15th June.

10. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it, @Raiyn. Where in Tennessee would you be looking for lodging? I can help!

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

We're more likely to stop in KY, the direct route has us passing through Louisville. I was looking at Elizabethtown. Their reported case load for the county seemed pretty low.
    Through TN it'll probably be I-65 / I-75 through Nashville. I'd rather avoid running the full length of Illinois again, (tint is somehow illegal in Illinois and the rental Jeep is murdered out) but that would put us on I-24 through Clarksville.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  12. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Elizabethtown is nice, and Kentucky has been way more proactive than any of the surrounding states, so much so that the governor was hung in effigy by a group of 2nd Amendment trolls this weekend, although I’m not sure what the stay at home measures have to do with the 2nd Amendment. There are some charming b&bs around the Mammoth Cave area, which you’ll be near, and Bowling Green is a nice town with lots of options as well, all on 65. If you’re a Corvette fan, Bowling Green is Mecca. From there on, it’s a crap shoot, as the rest of the Southern tier didn’t respond as quickly as Kentucky.

Raiyn, Lancpudn and Digger like this.
  13. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I put in a big day yesterday and found my self with enough energy to do some reasonable jobs.

Our front nature strip had basically been cleaned up but was still full of half buried branches and debris. Long grass too as it hadn’t been cut this year. It’s only an area of about 60 metres by 10 metres but if course is the first thing you see if you come here.

I removed a full trailer load of the debris, hand raked and did some reconstruction with the bucket, then finally dragged the slasher across. It looks heaps better and was satisfying to see it looking so much more like normal. I need to do a few runs with a box grader to really set it up for mowing but that will happen after I can source one that suits my needs.

Our new split system A/C was installed yesterday and compared to the old, is chalk and cheese!
    Heats the whole house evenly and is oh so quiet.

Picked up my replacement Walther PCP air gun late yesterday so will find time to charge it and see how much fine tuning the scope needs after the bore sight.

Might swing a chainsaw today for a while?

We had mushy peas a few times while in Blighty and I don’t mind them but they aren’t for Gael at all apparently.

14. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Dude, you make me feel bad. I’m hiring someone to make my front lawn pretty, although I will be involved in some of the branch removal. But I’m just helping prop up the battered economy, yeah, that’s the ticket. And I like my economy battered over breaded, it fries up better.

Lancpudn and Digger like this.
  15. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

With this virus thingie were pretty much on our own ATM. I have so much to do that I darent think about the overall and we are concentrations on the area around the house first and worry about the rest when this is done.

Mission impossible really but we have to keep going forward.
    I just wish I was younger.

16. Lancpudn

I'm sure Digger wears a Superman cape! :thumb: He does the work of ten men down there :D

The most I did yesterday was re-pot some (wait for it!) Peanut plants :shock:, I think I'll start me own plantation in Lancashire :D then I mowed two lawns & watered the garden & plants, After I finished that I was hit with that vertigo nonsense again:mad: and disappeared off to my bed felling lousy.
    16 hours kip & a bacon & egg breakfast I feel human again :thumb:

17. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

No mate it’s an illusion, I work while I can, not necessarily a long time. My 74 year old damaged body pulls me up quick smart when it’s had enough. Been getting a bit done this week though but frustrated I cant do a lot more.

We had a visit from the co-ordinator of the clean up crews working in our area and our place will be done next week. As you can imagine that is very good news! We are going away Monday and it will be completed before we get back home most likely. We’ve had to wait a long time but this way the government is funding the clean up saving us at least $20k. Worth the wait!

Recovery here starts after that.

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

We really don't have time to do the tourism thing on the way back. Heck, this whole trip has been working through papers and house stuff. We'll have to make another trip further down the line, but I've secured the house as best I could. The heat and electric will stay on, we have someone to make sure the place doesn't collapse or freeze.
    We will return once this is all over and have a proper vacation, but the last 4 trips have been for nightmare reasons.

I'm glad to hear about Elizabethtown though. Makes that decision sit better for me.

19. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I’ve been wondering why the gun lobby has been out over this too? I have to say seeing people protesting with AR15s slung is not doing our perception of your country a lot of good. Plenty of negative comment.

20. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Same perception I get, too, I’ll wager. Things get much worse, I’m clicking my heels together three times and hauling ass to Oz!